C63 Headbolts changed out for Weistec ARP Studs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee C63

MB Enthusiast
Car
C63 (weistec supercharged)
Well its been in "the Plan" for a while to change out my headbolts for the Weistec ARP studs as my engine number falls into the effected range (Pretty much any pre-facelift car).
After several discussions with Acid and Weistec and plenty trawling through the American forums i opted for changing out one at a time. Therefore no requirement to physically remove the heads (this is the same way Jimmy with the Supercharged E63 did it).
The initial plan was to have the work done by MSL (who have done all the mods on my car). However, we just never both seemed to be available at the same time. Acid suggested i asked Stan (he has a Stage 2 Supercharged S63 built by MSL) and has his own independent garage only a few miles from me (the Sunny North east of England) and has a history of building "old School" supercharged monsters.

So that was the car dropped off on Monday morning and all fluids dropped and the car allowed to cool to ambient temperature (which is pretty cold "up North"). then using the MB timing gear the cams were locked and removed to allow access to the head bolts.

Along with the ARP studs i am having the SLS valve buckets fitted (M159 engine) and also changing out the cam phasor bolts for the Weistec ARP Phasor bolts.

I will keep you updated with the progress and get a few pictures uploaded when i remember how to do it LOL.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 167
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 164
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Couple more photos

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 152
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 155
Nice one Lee, getting it ready for it's next stage in development I assume... :D

Stan's S Class is awesome, didn't know he's done it himself.

Nice one Lee, getting it ready for it's next stage in development I assume... :D

Stan's S Class is awesome, didn't know he's done it himself.

MSL installed the Supercharger on Stan's car, think he was the 2nd person to have it done ( or might have been Jimmy).

He has just installed a IPE valved exhaust ( for a C63) on his S63 which took a bit of welding and bracket modifying. However it sounds awesome.

All bolts changed out on one side. Will be left overnight and then the torque will be checked again in the morning before re-installing the Cams

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 99
One side all done...bolts changed for studs, SLS valve buckets fitted, cams re-fitted and camshaft phasor bolt replaces with Weistec ARP bolt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 102
Just a quick update for those interested or thinking of carrying out this on there car.
It was noticed today that the Weistec camshaft phasor bolt head is slightly smaller than the OEM bolts. And exposes more of the oil journal. See attachment for OEM bolt.
So therefore a greater flow of oil with the new bolts. ( the phasor bolts are the same design as the M159 engine according to weistec)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 123
Quick snap of the difference between the weistec Cam Phasor bolt and the OEM bolt (post above)
You can see how the "shoulder" on the OEM bolt partially covers the return oil flow orrifice and the weistec one does not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 84
Hey! Its great to see someone getting under the bonnet of their own motor. Can I ask, do you own the cam locking kit and where did you get it from? For clarity - did you swap the head bolts one by one yourself (am I reading that correctly). Is this a recognised approach? I've heard it is a bit hit and miss and can lead to leaks.
I'm new to this forum as I'm researching the C63 before I buy you see.
Cheers

As per post #1

"The initial plan was to have the work done by MSL (who have done all the mods on my car). However, we just never both seemed to be available at the same time. Acid suggested i asked Stan (he has a Stage 2 Supercharged S63 built by MSL) and has his own independent garage only a few miles from me (the Sunny North east of England) and has a history of building "old School" supercharged monsters.

Hey! Its great to see someone getting under the bonnet of their own motor. Can I ask, do you own the cam locking kit and where did you get it from? For clarity - did you swap the head bolts one by one yourself (am I reading that correctly). Is this a recognised approach? I've heard it is a bit hit and miss and can lead to leaks.
I'm new to this forum as I'm researching the C63 before I buy you see.
Cheers

Stan bought the cam and timing locking kit from MB.
All the install instructions came from Weistec with assistance and advice from MSL.
Yes they were changed out one at a time.

The car is back and is running much quieter (probably the new valve lifters)
So far no issues :bannana:
I will get some photos of the old head bolts etc today.

Hi lee

Firstly excuse my ignorance but why did you do this to your engine, does it increase the longevity or is it performance enhancing. Genuine question from an ignorant finance director :D

ScottBacon said:
Hi lee Firstly excuse my ignorance but why did you do this to your engine, does it increase the longevity or is it performance enhancing. Genuine question from an ignorant finance director :D
I'm new but I think it's to do with the header bolts snapping on certain models hence why he's changing them I maybe wrong so I'll let else tell you more

Depending on the engine number there is a known defect that can cause head bolts to snap. ( pretty much any pre-face lift car) mercedes know of this as they changed the head bolt design after a certain engine number.
I dare say it's only a small percentage of cars that fail but if it does and the car is no longer under warranty (pretty sure I have made mine invalid) then your talking a massive repair bill.

So I took it as a preventative measure ( the same as jimmy with the S/C E63) and replaced mine with the Weistec studs.

What's the cost of that lee I think I'm right on the limit of when the changed being a 2010 car mines out of warranty so concerns me a little

The price varies massively on which way you go.
I think john (developer on forum) had his E63 done at the dealer and they removed the heads etc costing nearly 6k (done under warranty).
However the route I have chosen has cost much less.
Weistec ARP studs approx £600
SLS valve buckets approx £500
weistec ARP camshaft phasor bolts £160

Labour costs at an independent would vary from £600-£1000.

So not the cheapest option but in my eyes seeing the amount I have invested so far in the car seemed like a fair price.

Hi Lee - fascinating stuff and great to see the inner workings...!

As I'm on the cusp of buying a 2007 E63, this fills me with dread. Did you have any stats on the likelihood of failure....?

Cheers,

CH

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Hi Lee - fascinating stuff and great to see the inner workings...!

As I'm on the cusp of buying a 2007 E63, this fills me with dread. Did you have any stats on the likelihood of failure....?

Cheers,

CH

No stats as such but speaking with Newcastle AMG dealer they had only ever had 1 case and that was on a ML63. So I don't think it's a "common" thing and more down to just really bad luck if you had one fail

I recently looked at a CLS63 56 plate, though high mileage had absolutely perfect MB history, it had to have a £16k (just under) engine rebuild @ approx. 120k miles, this included 2 new heads, 4 new cams, timing chain(s) tensioners, crankshaft out new bearings and one new piston, this was carried out by MB Hull approx. 2 years ago.
Who paid the bill was unclear as the copies of the receipts appeared to blank out the bill payer, which would imply that it was blanking out an individuals name rather than a dealers or MB UKs name.
When looking at various 63 models I was quite shocked to find how many e-bay entries there were for reconned 63 engines

Last edited:
Further to this earlier posting, can anyone with E63 experience tell me whether a minimal leak from the gearbox primary pump seal would be enough to put you off buying an otherwise excellent example....? It's a 2006 W211.

Thanks in advance - hope to collect it tomorrow lunchtime if all is well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom