C63 inner front tyre wear!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AL3X

Car
C63 AMG
Had a massive shock this morning, I regularly check the tread depths of the tyres on my C63 as obviously they do wear fast, and on the fronts they looked to have about 2mm left so thought they'd last a little while longer. Anyway I've recently had the tyre pressure warning come up a few times, so this morning I decided to jack the car up and look for the common cracked wheels....to my horror this is what I found!

So went straight down to the tyre shop and it got worse:

I have genuinely never seen some tyres in such a state!

Can anyone tell me if this is an alignment issue or old tyres as they have been on since I bought the car?
If alignment can any good garage do this on a c63 or does it require special equipment?

Pic 2 looks to have about 4 mill so on my recent experience I think that is common and normal for wide tyres and UK roads, and speed humps etc.

The top pic looks to have more than 4 mill left on the outside which disappointing as it may be is normal.

it does show the value in checking tyne insides before a good blast on the open roads as a blow out at speed is not recommended.

See previous thread "tyres" first week in March.

Last edited:
The picture is a little deceiving, it's just above the tread wear indicator on the outer edge, I'd guess roughly 2.5mm, and almost on the twi nearest the inner edge which I'd guess is about 2.1mm....whereas the actual inner edge was ass cracked and showing cords

that is shocking - how many miles on that tyre/s?

I'd be getting a four wheel alignment done if that was mine.

Be worth the cost for the tyre savings alone.

ETA: Any decent garage should be able to do this, i.e. Non MB specific, though be very wary of certain high street chains who offer the service.

Last edited:
My fronts always wear faster on the inside, I may be wrong but think it is to do with the camber settings of the rear wheels.

My fronts always wear faster on the inside, I may be wrong but think it is to do with the camber settings of the rear wheels.

The camber of the rears can't affect the fronts. That will be front camber.

I've no idea mate the two fronts have been on since I bought the car, and while I checked I never saw so far around to the inner sidewall!

This is the thing, the last invoice shows the alignment was done on the car just before be buying it, and I've had mixed opinions as to whether that is normal or not?
I won't be using kwik fit that's for sure!

May be worth taking it back to whoever did it?

Ideally with the receipt and one of those worn tyres in the boot to show them...

It's normal!!!!!!!
Same happened to me. I had 2 new rears put on and thought the fronts had a bit left in them. I got a puncture in one of the fronts on the way home from getting the rears fitted and went to put the spare on.....nearly s**t myself when I saw the wear on the inners
Back to garage for 2 new fronts!!!!!

Daveenty, it was MB who did it for the last owner of the car though, somewhere a distance away no doubt, and that tyres been left at the garage now!

Lee, that puts my mind at ease then, I assume your alignments okay? I've got to say...the car drives a million times better now! And the tyre fitter looked a bit shocked he even gave me two potenza's for £100 a corner...win win!

I'd hesitate calling that normal - I've done 4000 miles on a set of fronts and even wear across the tyre.

Dont think this is normal, get proper four wheel alignment done and get print outs for the record.
Kamal

Let this be a warning.

I would certainly take it for alignment.

What make were they? My factory Yokohamas were well worn on the inner edges. I had the suspension checked and all was within tolerance so I replaced them with Michelin Super Sports and the issue never came back.

Quite strange.

Conti sport contact 3 mate, I've no idea how long they've been on but tbh the wear was perfectly even across the central 3/4, usually with alignment issues you get a gradual angle in tyre wear...whereas this was just the inner sidewall!

Can any garage capable of doing tracking set this up?

Technically all you need is a sprit level/plumbob and a ruler, but the reality is get it setup on a four wheel alignment system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom