C63 Japanese import

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Theador

Car
C63 BiTurbo Estate W205
I’m seeing a few Jap import C63s coming up on the market recently, obviously at a slightly lower price. Two questions:
  • Is there any difference in standard spec/performance between UK spec and jap spec?
  • What are people’s opinions of jap import Merc?

Avoid!

They are cheaper for a reason. The Audio system needs to be completely changed out for a European specification. The Japanese cars tend to come with all the options such as Comand and TV neither of which work here. You are looking at between £1500 and £2500 for the Comand system to be changed and coded, depends on which C63 it is. Tv is a similar figure.

Also the boot lid is different. Japan uses the square US style number plate.

I’m seeing a few Jap import C63s coming up on the market recently, obviously at a slightly lower price. Two questions:
  • Is there any difference in standard spec/performance between UK spec and jap spec?
  • What are people’s opinions of jap import Merc?
I run a Japan imported 2008 C63 AMG in Dubai, I bought it about a year ago. On the whole the car has actually been perfect *touches wood*. It is a true Japan delivery car (some are originally German delivered) and to get around the audio issue I simply use a bluetooth plug in device as the glovebox has both aux and power. My COMAND Nav is stuck in Japan, either way I use Google Maps. The underside is perfect/brand new, literally zero rust. Mine also came from Japan with the head bolts already replaced (I actually booked it in for head bolt replacement and once at the garage they informed me they had already been upgraded). I have around 60,000m on the car. I do not know about the performance specs, mine feels as fast as any and I do not think they have additional cats etc. I had to change the front number plate holder as I prefer the euro / longer UK plate style. I do hope to bring back the car to the UK as LHD would be nice for Europe drives.

I don't know whether its still applicable, but Japanese imports were more problematic to insure. As in, few companies would give a quote.

The biggest reason to import is on older cars as they tend to be in good nick and rust free. I’d definitely consider a Japanese import W124 or similar R129. Just to get a rot free car. But a newish C63? Nah- for the reasons given by others already.

A friend of mine went to see it. Tidy

...I’ll put that in the ‘not to do’ bucket then :D

From what I have seen on here some people looking for older cars (particularly C55 estates) find some very very clean low ,mileage examples from Japan. Usually totally rust free , which is OK if looking for a fairly rare car such as a C55 estate especially since the cost of replacing ICE and the rear number plate mount area is relatively cheap on an older MB , but not sure if it is the road to go down when looking for a newer more common model (of any car). Japan is a RHD country but there is a certain Kudos to driving a LHD car over there (🤷‍♂️) so they too are quite common.

Echo comments here, some good cars from Japan but of course some junk also so you have to be careful. My W124 E500 Limited is from Japan, you can see the underside video here to give you an idea of how well kept the cars are:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom