C63 MPG record(s)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobsta

Car
2009 C63 Performance Pack, 2017 E220d AMG Premium Plus
Just a bit of fun as I know quite a few AMG owners (and prospective owners) are mildly obsessed with MPG.

I've now owned my C63 for one whole year (OK, it'll actually be 1 year tomorrow, but it was a Sunday, so I count today as the anniversary) and honestly feel buying it was one of the best decisions of my motoring life. It's been (and continues to be) awesome.

For whatever reason, tonight I decided to take it extremely easy on a run home, just to see what was possible. It was a mix of motorway and dual carriageway with a fair bit of traffic, cruising at around 70-73mph for most of the time, and NOT using cruise control but instead gently caressing the loud pedal. I actually surprised myself:
2013-03-03%2018.21.26-sm.jpg

26.8MPG

Which contrasts sharply with a couple of weeks ago:
2013-02-17%2016.47.19sm.jpg

8.1MPG

I'm sure someone will have beaten the 8.1MPG - a good few laps around the Nurburgring should do that. But anyone "beaten" 26.8MPG over a decent distance?

For prospective owners, NO, this isn't typical. ;)

When i did Kent to Scotland i was using cruise and did a fair bit of hard driving and still got between 26-27mpg

Why would anyone care about the MPG in a C63 if they could afford the petrol and tyres.

They're made for big smokey drifts, making noise and being a hooligan in.

More Nordschliefe less hyper miling and costs. There's the Blue efficency range of diesels and petrols for efficiency and those who choose to worry about what their car costs to run

ive had 29 mpg once...

i was running out of fuel on the motorway and drove at a steady 50mph with cruise control on and air con off

i made it to the petrol station but not before a couple of berlingos had blown me away

Why would anyone care about the MPG in a C63 if they could afford the petrol and tyres.

More Nordschliefe less hyper miling and costs. There's the Blue efficency range of diesels and petrols for efficiency and those who choose to worry about what their car costs to run

I can't agree more it would seem that half the c63 guys on here should be driving 4 pot diesels.
:doh:

MrVix said:
I can't agree more it would seem that half the c63 guys on here should be driving 4 pot diesels.

4pot diesels are for tightwads like me. Although fuel is expensive I never say, oh no I cannot do it I cannot afford the fuel.

Key goes in, I drive some place, £20 goes in I go for miles.

Those that don't care that £20 is really £50 the AMG is the car for them if they like big power, tyre smoke and good acceleration north of 140mph

As the op said, for a bit of fun. Why did you have to even post ***? To tell diesel is more economical than an amg? Yeah, we know. Mine is 25.1 for one journey.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 56

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. I clearly completely screwed up when I bought my C63 and should've bought an oil burner. :fail
You clearly know all about my requirements from a car and are far better equipped to decide what car I should own.

Then again, maybe I know all about big smokey drifts. Maybe I specifically chose my C63 with an LSD to make my big smokey drifts even more drifty. And smokey. And maybe I love making lots of noise too?
Maybe this is me being noisy and drifty? (albeit getting it a bit wrong)

And maybe this was the end result:
2013-02-19 08.38.07 copy.jpg
And maybe that was the day I got 8.1MPG

Anyway. If you'll forgive me for obviously owning the wrong car, here's another MPG update. Today I had two sleeping kids in the back and needed to make an 80 mile journey down the M40 and around the M25 take as long as possible. Cruise set to 61mph did the trick and this was the result:
2013-03-24 14.03.26 copy.jpg
(I actually hit 29.9 MPG before I pulled off the M25 but photographing that isn't really a sensible move. Even at 61mph.)

My best so far has been 23.6mpg.... no idea how I could achieve more!

My worst was 12.1mpg on the roads not track.

I tend to average 18-21mpg on generally.

Oh and I care about mpg, not everyone who buys a C63 has an infinite supply of tenners for pouring into the cars fuel tank!

I drive about 12k per annum with a lot of motorway journeys for work and I generally take it steady and save the fuel for the fun times on the local country twistys...

That said even if I drive at 85ish and have some fun I still seem to get a similar mpg as when I drive everywhere at 70....

If that is you allegedly being smoky and drifty; I allegedly salute you sir. No, I openly applaud your behaviour.

Getting it wrong is what happens from time to time but correcting it in such an enthusiastic style is nothing short of respectful!:thumb:

had a drive up to nottingham the other day, couldnt break 20mpg. Have literally never gone past 21mpg ever

I covered a fair few miles in mine over the weekend and I average 18mpg. No idea how you can get mid 20's out of one. Even driving like a saint (I hae no idea how to drive like a saint mind...)

J.

Assuming you can pull off your drive, get to a motorway or good A road without resisting the urge to bury your clog which MUST be difficult...

Cruise down the slip road and hover at 60mph (off cruise) I fail in a way to see whay they cannot do 30mpg?

It must be using about 20% of the available power at 60mph, The A (AMG)class claims over 40mpg? yet still rapid.

I think I can break 30mpg, can someone let me have their car full with petrol for a day... I reckon I could beat 8.1mpg also, so go on be a sport.

It must be using about 20% of the available power at 60mph, The A (AMG)class claims over 40mpg? yet still rapid.

60mph needs about 16 Bhp, so a lot less than 20% of available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom