C63 Oil Leak and Engine Removal for repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AidersD

Car
2012 C63 AMG PPP, 2015 E63 AMG Estate
My 2012 C63 has developed an oil leak and, following diagnosis from the dealer, I'm informed the engine needs to be removed to effect the repair. My understanding is that the sealant between the bottom of the block and the oil pan area (please excuse my ignorance regarding component names) has failed.

Thankfully, this (or the majority of it at least) will be covered under warranty so I'm not overly concerned but I had a couple of questions:
  1. Has anybody else here experienced this failure and had it successfully repaired? Anything lessons learned I could benefit from?
  2. I've already asked the dealer if I should consider changing anything else while the engine is out to save money later, but not had any feedback. I'm interested in any advice in this regard.
  3. Are there any uprated components from the black series I should/could consider? I can't think of anything in that regard
Many thanks...

Hi, same engine in a CLK63.
I did the same for the opposite reason.....
I removed the engine to fix other faults and found oil leaking from the same place, was a big job.
I don’t think it would be possible to do it in the car at all.
It’s just a silicone type gasket, no upgrade part available.
I couldn’t comment on cost as I did mine myself but it was a lot of work so I would expect a huge labour bill if you had to pay for it.
Gav.

Oh, and engine mounts may be worth replacing while it’s out, they are a weak bit on these and a pig to change normally.

Thanks for the insight and I had wondered about engine mounts as I thought I had read something about them being oil filled and some having issues. I'll definitely enquire in this regard, so thanks for the advice.

Regarding upgrades, I wasn't thinking of the gasket, since, as you say, it some form of sealant. I was thinking more if there was anything else worth changing/upgrading whilst the engine is out.

Wouldn’t of thought there was much else worth doing while it was out.
If you were thinking of the valve lifters/tappets upgrade, all the camshafts and tappets are easily accessed with the engine in, being a 2012 yours should hopefully have no issues with these anyway.
Fitting fancy exhaust manifolds may be a great deal easier while the engine is out if that’s your kinda thing.
Has your warranty okayed the work on the oil leak? They’re sometimes a bit chewy on stuff like that.

Did you get this sorted? Which dealership fixed it? Was it covered under warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom