C63 oil temperature problem-vented bonnet fix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mister T

Car
A45 Yellow night edition. AMG GTR Magnetite black.
It's no secret that the C63 is prone to a significant rise in oil temperature during spirited driving. Temperatures of 130 Celsius are often seen.

It is not surprising that the Black Series has a significant increase in its oil cooler. It's not practical to start playing around with fitting larger oil coolers to the standard C63. Most owners have bought a C63 to experience a little track time without having to fit any modifications otherwise they would have bought a different make of car!

Is it possible to fit a vented bonnet to a standard C63? Would the C63 Black Series bonnet suffice to vent the engine bay and reduce the oil temperature?

Where can I buy a vented bonnet for my C63?

Come to the Goodwood trackday on 30th March and I will tell you!

I think the Black Series bonnet fits as it is fitted to the 507 edition.

There are some questionable carbon ones on eBay that have vents.

S

I'm guessing that you'd need to improve air flow to the oil cooler to improve oil temp, no?

Or indeed fit a bigger cooler.

Vented bonnet will help expel heat from the engine bay but wouldn't do much to improve oil temp I wouldn't have thought.

Hi Simon. I came over for a day at Goodwood a couple of years ago and had a good day out. I do remember meeting you and Ricky.

Would love to have another day over and meet you all but regrettably I have a number of track days in France around that time and my time is limited.

I just feel that this oil temperature problem is a little disheartening as 10 minutes on a track sees it rise to 120 and beyond. Changing bonnets will not solve the problem but I am sure it will help as the air flow may put a cap on the temperature.

Hi Rashman, fair comment as if the airflow does not go near the oil cooler then it won't achieve much!

Understand that the oil cooler is on the bottom left hand side of he car near the fog light.

I don't want to start playing around with the oil cooler I might as well have bought an EVO or Imprezza if I wanted to see the mechanic on a regular basis!!

Hi mate,

Shame you cannot make it, how quickly does it drop back down though? My Goodwood sessions can see it rising to 110-115 but it soon drops down at the end of the session on a cool down lap.

My bigger issue is the gearbox which seems to get hot and jerky.

S

It does drop down doing a cool down lap, but ultimately the car needs to have a little time off the track because it does rise swiftly up again.

Most of my track days are in Fance and the air temp is well up towards 30 Celsius as they are in the summer months. It's a large block engine in a small engine bay!

I really am very keen to change bonnets to a vented type. Trouble is if I ask for a Black Series bonnet the premium will be very high I am sure.

I do plan on buying a Black Series in the next year so it maybe easier for me to simply get one now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom