C63 or C63s? Worth the extra pennies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cfoster

Car
W212 E350, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, W201 190e, 2019 Volvo V90 R Design, Mk5 Golf Gti
Been away from the fold for about 8 months now having sold my E63 estate and went into an M4 convertible. I like the M4 but really struggling to gel with it ( plus I miss the amg roar), with this I’m going to sell her and go for a C63 or C63s coupe.

My question is of the two of course the s commands more money but it is really worth the extra ££££ over a non-s? Performance wise is there much in it in real life terms? I love the seats in the s but aware they can be spec’d in a non-s.

So, should I spend the extra or buy a non-s and a classic 190e for the garage!

I think the s comes with LSD. You can remap the non-s if you then want s power.

Interested in your comments re the M4. Looking to add a convertible to my garage and did consider the M4 myself.

I have a non S, it has a mechanical LSD rather then the Electric LSD diff, i too looked at an S - they were £10, £12K more at the time (used) the seats - both types just as comfy, performance i doubt lower down there is much difference in performance, i could not tell the difference - i guess a side by side drag race up to flat out and the S would pull ahead once your over 130 or so as the extra power would help.
the S has Brembo front brakes, again maybe better on the track but no difference on the road as far as i can tell, you might find an S with the bigger diameter rear wheels (20's) but makes the ride harsher and the tyres dearer mine had the 19's all round and its still harsh compared to the E220 estate Merc lent me while mine was in for service.

i guess buy the S if its for Willy waving at the pub, for me £12,000 still in the bank was the better option - buy the slower Non S but either way buy the Premium with more toys ... and save the Willy waving for the Mrs.

D.

Not much difference.

Let your wallet decide.

You wouldn’t feel short changed with the non S.

Possibly one of the main things to consider is the brakes. Already mentioned above but - and I havent been able to confirm completely - I think the replacing the S brakes is more expensive from what I have read so dependant on your budgets you may want to take that into account.

I have a saloon model and For me I couldn’t really justify the extra expensive of the S. I Spent the extra 12 k on extras instead which I get far more use and enjoyment out of than the extra 40hp. Performance wise they are very similar , only a little more at the top of the Rev range.
The only thing I really wanted out of the S model which you get as standard was the Performance seats which weren’t ridiculously expensive to add to my non S model, everything else I wanted; Exhaust, wheels, premium pack etc was an extra on both cars.

Thanks for the above advice, it pretty much has made me decided to go for a normal one, as mentioned its quite a lot of money on top for just a bit of willy waving! Plus it would keep the missus happy spending less! One of the main reasons I wanted to go for an S was the front seats, I have seen they are a £1450 option but does anyone know if they can be bought afterwards as in from MB parts (imagine they will be 500 times more expensive!) and retrofitted?

Thanks for the above advice, it pretty much has made me decided to go for a normal one, as mentioned its quite a lot of money on top for just a bit of willy waving! Plus it would keep the missus happy spending less! One of the main reasons I wanted to go for an S was the front seats, I have seen they are a £1450 option but does anyone know if they can be bought afterwards as in from MB parts (imagine they will be 500 times more expensive!) and retrofitted?

Not sure. The problem I expect is that something will have to be reprogrammed? seems to be the common case these days.

BTW there was a non-S car for sale recently with S front seats - was at Rybrook in Bristol I think.

Also going through this exact dilemma after I was told the depreciation on standard is more marked than on S’s - that said after sitting in a few S’s I think the performance seats are pretty uncomfortable compared to the standard model (and the wife would care more about that than the extra ££).

Buying used the biggest problem is getting the right colour and spec combo - especially when the switchable exhaust is a must (well for me anyway!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that said after sitting in a few S’s I think the performance seats are pretty uncomfortable compared to the standard model
Sitting in them and driving in them are two different things, but I guess it's what suits you best. I've had performance seats in both of my AMG's for nearly 4 years and haven't had any issues with them. The last time I went to Brooklands for the AMG driver training I was given an E63s with comfort seat and yes they were comfortable, but the second I hit a corner at any decent speed I was falling out of the seat.
Like I said I find the performance seats comfortable, therefore for me they are a better choice all round.

I could probably live with them and I get your point about being secure around corners at speed, unlike my wife who doesn’t care how much I spend (refreshing change) but if it’s uncomfortable I’ll never hear the end of it!

I've got performance seats in mine and yes at first when I sat in them I thought they were uncomfortable but the more you drive it the more comfortable they are.

C_200 - can you possibly pm me about your car (I don’t have enough posts!)

It doesn't let me pm you.

Maybe an Admin can either send you my details or vice versa

It doesn't let me pm you.

Maybe an Admin can either send you my details or vice versa

Have sent a mail

Thanks for the replies, I have only sat in them and not actually test driven one with the seats so unsure how they would be. My local MB dealership are a bunch of muppets and not interested in any test drives until you place a deposit (stupid IMO!). Need to shift the M4 first before looking seriously...!

I've got the standard C63 and love it. Had the performance seats in my CLA45 and can say that the standard seats are a lot more comofrtable however I didn't really have any issues with the performance seats too. The only thing for me was passengers trying to get in and out of the performance seats.

None the less it's personal preference and in my opinion they look great and are pretty comfortable. I did multiple 300 mile+ journeys without issue.

The only issue with the S to standard was I watched a lot of youtube videos on the cars prior to ordering mine, and there was hundreds of comments completely disregarding the C63 unless it was the S model. Once you realise that these comments are not from the people reviewing the car or people who actually own these cars but just generally a young kid or a general troll then it's not so bad.

Happy car hunting!

Dan

I've got the standard C63 and love it. Had the performance seats in my CLA45 and can say that the standard seats are a lot more comofrtable however I didn't really have any issues with the performance seats too. The only thing for me was passengers trying to get in and out of the performance seats.

None the less it's personal preference and in my opinion they look great and are pretty comfortable. I did multiple 300 mile+ journeys without issue.

The only issue with the S to standard was I watched a lot of youtube videos on the cars prior to ordering mine, and there was hundreds of comments completely disregarding the C63 unless it was the S model. Once you realise that these comments are not from the people reviewing the car or people who actually own these cars but just generally a young kid or a general troll then it's not so bad.

Happy car hunting!

Dan

As above - i agree, i have a non S with the standard seats, before this i had a 2017 Focus RS with all the extras and the Shell Sports seats, they were comfy and held you in place BUT and this is the reason i did not look for Sports seats in a C63 was the side bolster on the RS started to show signs of wear by the time the car was 6mths old, now I'm not a spring Chicken I'm 51, 6ft and 15 stone but I'm still agile enough to get into and out of a car unaided, but the signs of wear on the RS and Ford saying well they are sports seats with a high side bolster on both the seat and side etc "They Will Wear Quickly".

so my choice was down to that - wear and tear, Maybe Merc use higher quality leather who knows but i did not want the issue again with a car costing a shed load of hard earned cash.

Performance wise - unless you are north of 140MPH i doubt you will see any difference between a non S and an S, Spend the saved £10,000 / £12,000 on a second hand 4x4 to drive in the snow and ice saves £2000+ on winter wheels and tires.

Value for Money - the S is still demanding more used but then again a fully specked S is what £75,000 and you can get them for £45,000, £47,000 now and a non S is £65,000 as premium with all the bits and you can get then for £40,000 so the S is not really demanding any more really.... i expect nexr year you can buy these car for low £30, £35,000.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom