C63 or cla45

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rjmghome

Car
C63 AMG
I have had my C63 PPP Estate for just over two years, so in the coming months it'll be time to change.

Whilst I had laughed out loud at the lunacy of the C63, I also have other cars that feed the "nutter within", most notably a V12 Vantage Roadster that is like living with Jack Nicholson in "The Shining". So I am trying to find the right next step. A little less madness, but still not vanilla flavoured.

Has anyone tried this CLA45 AMG yet?

Other ideas are S4/RS4 (I have had a few over the years)

Maybe BMW will produce a quick estate one day - I have two dogs to transport from time to time.

If you can put up with a bit less driveability through the bends, what about an E63 wagon.

Significantly bigger/more refined than a C63.

I suspect a CLA will be rather cramped inside, though I've never looked at dimension.

I went from a C63 estate to an A45. Not a CLA to be fair but probably a lot similar. I would say that it doesn't have the outright grunt of the C63 however in the real world the traction is so much better in the A45 that it is much easier to drive quicker. The added upside is it is significantly better on fuel and that combined with a smaller tank means no more tears filling up. The sound is good but not as good as the C63 and the build/trim are noticeably cheaper. Another upside though is the A45 has been much better on tyres, my C63 only did 6K for rears but I got 11k out of the fronts on the A45.

I went from a C63 estate to an A45. Not a CLA to be fair but probably a lot similar. I would say that it doesn't have the outright grunt of the C63 however in the real world the traction is so much better in the A45 that it is much easier to drive quicker. The added upside is it is significantly better on fuel and that combined with a smaller tank means no more tears filling up. The sound is good but not as good as the C63 and the build/trim are noticeably cheaper. Another upside though is the A45 has been much better on tyres, my C63 only did 6K for rears but I got 11k out of the fronts on the A45.

I seriously considered walking into my local dealership and slapping down a deposit on an A45 on looks alone. I am glad I waited to hear further details though as the whole part time 4wd thing didn't appeal in the end.
I really really don't mean to cast dispersions on your purchase or reasons behind it but personally I was quite disappointed at most of the reviews of the A45. To me AMG translates roughly to "slay rear tyres in power oversteer - on demand (caveat - should that be your desire)" and although it seems (according to the reviews) the car turned out to be a bit of a weapon in terms of point to point pace, it wouldn't have offered anything more than my previous steer (an R26 Megane) other than slightly more pace and a serious step up in build quality.
It is a quality item (I've sat in it but not driven it) and I'm sure the CLA shares similar standards of finish, but for pure theatre and sense of occasion of starting the C63, never mind that pure front engine rear drive feeling puts the A/CLA/GLA45 AMG question to bed for me.

But that's just me.

Do you know what bugs the crap out of me, it looks not a lot different to the 2 in my area driven by teenagers. One is a 220cdi and the other a tiny petrol both probably on pcp with mummy and daddy and guarantor's. It grates me why there's barely a difference cosmetic wise between a car that you have worked a long time to have something to show for it and some ****e little sewing machine engined shopping trolly that a child can go and buy with a minimum wage job and no savings. Rant over, sorry

Interesting conundrum.

I'm currently going through similar thoughts and am seriously considering a 45 car (either an A or a CLASB) next year to replace my CLS63.

There is nothing like the big v8 AMG cars and I low that a lot of people play the "it's not a real AMG" card. That said on the occasions I've had a go in a 45 they have really impressed. I quite like the fact that they can look just like any other run of the mill variant too.

Do you know what bugs the crap out of me, it looks not a lot different to the 2 in my area driven by teenagers. One is a 220cdi and the other a tiny petrol both probably on pcp with mummy and daddy and guarantor's. It grates me why there's barely a difference cosmetic wise between a car that you have worked a long time to have something to show for it and some ****e little sewing machine engined shopping trolly that a child can go and buy with a minimum wage job and no savings. Rant over, sorry

That's a whole lotta hate in that post right there! :doh:

You sound like someone who is no longer young yet is very bitter about how the yoof of today are able to acquire things that maybe you couldn't? Well, how do you know that said young person isn't working just as hard for their car as you have....good on them I say.

If I was buying the cheapest model I'd be made up if it looked like a better one. And if I was buying the better one, I couldn't give a flying cahoots if someone else thought it was a boggo model....those that know would know, and I'd know....and that's all that matters.

Back to the OP, I've had a couple of C63's before and I've also had an A45 loaner for the last 6 weeks

The A45 is immense fun and probably one of the fastest point to point road cars I've driven. It has a better gearbox than the C63 (it's the latest 2015 MY and it seems AMG have finally given it the gearbox software it deserved because it is spot on), it's very agile, it has masses of grip, fantastic seats (but then so does every AMG) and on the whole, it's just a hoot.

On the flip side, the build quality of every A Class, including this A45, is disappointing....lots of rattles and buzzes despite being brand new. The driving position isn't great (pedals are too close, probably a consequence of its FWD underpinnings), it's quite loud on the motorway and whilst it sounds good for a 4-pot, well...you just know it's not going to compare to AMG's finest V8.

After 6 weeks, I've been contemplating swapping our ML63 for one of these (the ML is a lovely extravagance) but when push comes to shove, the ML is just so 'nice' as an everyday all-round road car. So, whilst the A45 is more fun, when you're not in the mood it is more tiring. And is suspect it'll be the same compared to the C63 which also plays a fantastic Jeckal and Hyde....the A45 will be more fun when you're in the mood but as a car to live with day in, day out for the next 3 years, if you can stretch to the new C63 then I'd probably recommend that as the most appropriate replacement for yours.

Palmball said:
That's a whole lotta hate in that post right there! :doh: You sound like someone who is no longer young yet is very bitter about how the yoof of today are able to acquire things that maybe you couldn't? Well, how do you know that said young person isn't working just as hard for their car as you have....good on them I say. If I was buying the cheapest model I'd be made up if it looked like a better one. And if I was buying the better one, I couldn't give a flying cahoots if someone else thought it was a boggo model....those that know would know, and I'd know....and that's all that matters.

They may well have done but live with mummy and daddy in a pretty average house and are 18-19 so must have made some money very quickly, I know for a fact that the day my daughter can afford to drive a 25-30k merc she will certainly be on the property ladder at least

They may well have done but live with mummy and daddy in a pretty average house and are 18-19 so must have made some money very quickly, I know for a fact that the day my daughter can afford to drive a 25-30k merc she will certainly be on the property ladder at least

And I'm 27 ta

Would you categorise a young person who buys a C180 Coupe the same way, having traded in an A200 AMG Sport?

It's probably 110% true that I would have been driving a sweet car and live at home as a teenager given the choice tbh, I know enough people doing it.

Giantvanman said:
Would you categorise a young person who buys a C180 Coupe the same way, having traded in an A200 AMG Sport?
Not at all, It was a rant, I have a very good friend who has devoted his life to business not really enjoyed his youth and now 30 and pretty well off is finding it pretty difficult to find a car that makes him feel like it's paying off, as every time he's brought something nice, someone pipes up with "oh so and so has one", normally a 20 yr old living in his dad's house who has a part time job.

I've opened a can of worms here, I'm by no means saying everyone who is young can have a nice car, that's rediculous, I've had some real nice cars. I'm saying that it's pretty hard to differentiate from a really sweet car that someone has worked a long time to own as a petrol head and a lad who walked into a showroom with an empty wallet and drove out in a shiney brand new merc.

Not at all, It was a rant, I have a very good friend who has devoted his life to business not really enjoyed his youth and now 30 and pretty well off is finding it pretty difficult to find a car that makes him feel like it's paying off, as every time he's brought something nice, someone pipes up with "oh so and so has one", normally a 20 yr old living in his dad's house who has a part time job.

I've opened a can of worms here, I'm by no means saying everyone who is young can have a nice car, that's rediculous, I've had some real nice cars. I'm saying that it's pretty hard to differentiate from a really sweet car that someone has worked a long time to own as a petrol head and a lad who walked into a showroom with an empty wallet and drove out in a shiney brand new merc.

Fair enough but in reference to the section I have highlighted, I have to ask, why the need or why bother?

I had some expensive cars (and frequently swapped them!) whilst I still lived at home with my parents.

Would I be better off now if I'd bought a house first/sooner? Yes, of course I would.

Do I regret my approach? No, because it made me happy and when all is said and done, isn't that the most important thing?

Oh god why did I start this, there's nothing wrong with it at all, I never said there was and I am a firm believer myself in "spending it while you can" life is far to short, but in moderation.

I've opened a can of worms here, I'm by no means saying everyone who is young can have a nice car, that's rediculous, I've had some real nice cars.

Don't worry about it, I knew what you meant. :thumb:

Moosey said:
I seriously considered walking into my local dealership and slapping down a deposit on an A45 on looks alone. I am glad I waited to hear further details though as the whole part time 4wd thing didn't appeal in the end. I really really don't mean to cast dispersions on your purchase or reasons behind it but personally I was quite disappointed at most of the reviews of the A45. To me AMG translates roughly to "slay rear tyres in power oversteer - on demand (caveat - should that be your desire)" and although it seems (according to the reviews) the car turned out to be a bit of a weapon in terms of point to point pace, it wouldn't have offered anything more than my previous steer (an R26 Megane) other than slightly more pace and a serious step up in build quality. It is a quality item (I've sat in it but not driven it) and I'm sure the CLA shares similar standards of finish, but for pure theatre and sense of occasion of starting the C63, never mind that pure front engine rear drive feeling puts the A/CLA/GLA45 AMG question to bed for me. But that's just me.

That's the beauty about cars, we buy the ones that we want. Having owned both I can say that the rear drive C63 is a lot of fun but not in the damp/wet. Whereas the A45 just goes and grips, my C63 was all over the place. Fine if you are in the mood but not when you don't want it. Regarding the traction, you can feel the rears coming in when you need it and not sure I'd want to go back to rear only. Fair point about the R26, all depends what you want from the car. In the dry I'm sure you wouldn't notice that much difference but damp/wet then an A45 would show a clean pair of heels. It was exactly the noise/theatre that got me into the C63 in the first place but then I've scratched that itch and fr a daily drive the A45 is much more useful a drive. Each to their own though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom