C63 ordered, need some advice (paint)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Higher Primate

Car
BMW M4
So, I posted earlier in the summer about a C63 I was intending on buying and now I've gone ahead and ordered my 2018 C63 in Designo Selenite Grey (Matte). I'm wondering has any experience with the paint can give me any advice on caring for the it as it's the first time I've had to deal with matte paint.
I'm thinking of getting it ceramic coated but from some initial reading I believe there are specific coatings for matte paint? Last thing I want to do is take is somewhere and they just fob me off and put a standard ceramic coating on the car and take something away from the finish.
Any advice is welcome and hope this is the best place to post this.

If anyone is curious here is the spec for the car:

Mercedes C63 in Designo Selenite Grey
20/19" alloys in matte black
Interior trim in carbon fibre
Platinum white/black leather interior
Premium package
Night Package
360 camera
Heads up display
Air balance
Exterior carbon package 2

Expected delivery is the middle of November.

I'd suggest giving jay a ring at Miglior detailing. And speaking to him about a new car detail,he Would be best to advise you on coating options for that type of paint. It's not some cheap back street garage by any means. He looks after collections of super/HyperCars for many owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also would suggest contacting a respected pro detailer and take their advice.

Personally, for a daily driver, my view is that the unique care requirements of the matte finishes are too burdensome.

As much as I love the matt paint on a car, especially the grey.
I really cba with the upkeep, especially if not garaged, bird muck etc...

I think the selenite grey looks even better in gloss. I'm just a bit wary also that the matt paint is a sort of transient fashion that will pass in a year or so and may even make the cars harder to sell on.(not sure how well it will look on a 5year old 50k car)
But then I am getting on a bit.....

Hi,
I remember when BMW first launched a matt colour - frozen grey? - on their cars. The owners had to sign a disclaimer stating they wouldn't polish their car - otherwise the matt finish would go shiny and invalidate the paint warranty!
Cheers
Steve

Ill get onto a professional detailer and see what they have to say. I debated the paintwork for some time before I went for it. Do the people that say it is such a burden have experience with it, is it really more upkeep? What extra upkeep am I looking at beyond a standard gloss finish? I've done some reading and from that it suggest that a lot of the problems are myth rather than fact, true or not.
As for the resale factor, I have the car on a 3 year PCP so I'm not too concerned about the resale factor, I will probably trade it in against whatever is next around the two/two and a half year mark.

Do the people that say it is such a burden have experience with it, is it really more upkeep? What extra upkeep am I looking at beyond a standard gloss finish?
I'll hold my hands up and say that I've never owned a Magno finished car, but I did a lot of research about it as I'd found an E63S with absolutely stonking spec that I was seriously interested in. As a result of that research I didn't go ahead with the purchase.

The main things for me were the impossibility to polish out any minor blemishes, that pretty much any touch-up of minor damage stands out like a sore thumb and so forth. The fact that you should only ever hand wash it wasn't an issue as I only ever hand wash my cars anyway.

I'll hold my hands up and say that I've never owned a Magno finished car, but I did a lot of research about it as I'd found an E63S with absolutely stonking spec that I was seriously interested in. As a result of that research I didn't go ahead with the purchase.

The main things for me were the impossibility to polish out any minor blemishes, that pretty much any touch-up of minor damage stands out like a sore thumb and so forth. The fact that you should only ever hand wash it wasn't an issue as I only ever hand wash my cars anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I have my reservations for sure but, I'm committed now. I would say that some of the issues you're suggesting exist are contrary to what I've read. Not to say you're wrong, I honestly don't know, but I've read that minor scratches would be less apparent due to the lack of reflection. That might be an absolute crock but I read that here:
https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/05/matte-paint-finish-myths/

I've just ordered a C63S in Designo Selenite matte finish too. Heard the stories about the paint but it just looks too good. I always have mine hand washed too so shouldn't be an issue.

I've just ordered a C63S in Designo Selenite matte finish too. Heard the stories about the paint but it just looks too good. I always have mine hand washed too so shouldn't be an issue.

All the negative stories I've heard have come from people who have never had the paint. Seems to be some positive ones from current or previous magno paint owners also, particularly from MBWorld. I've debated back tracking and getting gloss and then wrapping it which I can get done at a reasonable price but, I don't want to sacrifice the look at all.
Congratulations on the purchase, the carbon is holding mine up unfortunately.

I've got a C63S Cab in Selenite grey (and very happy indeed with it) - saw the matte version on the high street locally last week. It looked fantastic too. Wasnt aware it was available yet so may have been a wrap? Either way, you've ordered a lovely spec.

^ Thank you. I haven't got the car yet and I'm already feeling a little envious of the 'S' owners. Seems to be a lot more of those than standard C63 owners, or am I just imagining it?

All the negative stories I've heard have come from people who have never had the paint. Seems to be some positive ones from current or previous magno paint owners also, particularly from MBWorld. I've debated back tracking and getting gloss and then wrapping it which I can get done at a reasonable price but, I don't want to sacrifice the look at all.
Congratulations on the purchase, the carbon is holding mine up unfortunately.

Ironically the paint is holding mine up but not by more than a month so perfectly happy to wait. Was supposed to be March 18 but I've cancelled the lease on my Maserati early to get the earliest build slot I could. Hopefully, end of November.

^ Thank you. I haven't got the car yet and I'm already feeling a little envious of the 'S' owners. Seems to be a lot more of those than standard C63 owners, or am I just imagining it?

I went S for a few reasons. Some of the extra cost will be covered over time, the little extras that come with it but in all seriousness I just wanted the top spec one with the S badge on the back. I went one off the top with my Maserati and always know I haven't got the top one.

Silly and materialistic I know but hey, you're buying one so why hold back! :D

I went S for a few reasons. Some of the extra cost will be covered over time, the little extras that come with it but in all seriousness I just wanted the top spec one with the S badge on the back. I went one off the top with my Maserati and always know I haven't got the top one.

Silly and materialistic I know but hey, you're buying one so why hold back! :D

I hope I don't regret not getting the S but I set myself a price limit to control my spending and the S, at £80k for the spec, falls outside of it. I specifically didn't want the sports seats also as I've found them impractical for a daily driver.

No need to be, wait till your car arrives, you will not be disappointed. You have got the spec. spot on.

Of course if the 'S' is within your budget, then why not.

Both great cars.

No need to be, wait till your car arrives, you will not be disappointed. You have got the spec. spot on.

Of course if the 'S' is within your budget, then why not.

Both great cars.

I just get hung up on stupid things. I've made my peace with the paint after going through a number of options and I've decided to leave as is. The car is just as I want it and like you say, when it arrives I will be anything but disappointed. I just wish I didn't have to wait until November, although it could be later than that as there is a delay on the carbon fibre exterior.

Fellow C63 owner here too. Considered the S and test drove it, but couldn't justify the additional cost because for what I'd be using it for, I don't think I'll need the additional performance of the S. The C63 is already going to be more than I'll need 9 times out of 10.

Fellow C63 owner here too. Considered the S and test drove it, but couldn't justify the additional cost because for what I'd be using it for, I don't think I'll need the additional performance of the S. The C63 is already going to be more than I'll need 9 times out of 10.

Yes, also very true, I'm sure the C63 will be enough for the autobahn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom