C63 owners - winter tyres or 4x4

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Kev F, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Kev F

Kev F Member

Car:
    2012 C250 CDi AMG Sports Plus
    Right, with the various rumours goign around that we'll experience another winter of snow and ice I don't want to feck up the 19 inch black multispoke wheels on my AMG. So the options are a set of non OEM wheels plus winter tyres for around £1000 or try to find a reliable secondhand 4x4 for the same amount of dough..

What are you doing?

2. Red C220

Red C220 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 SL400 : 2017 S6 Avant
    500hp + ice/snow+ rear wheel drive.

Winter tyres or not - it's not a sensible idea.

I'd go with the 4x4 route if you absolutely have to be mobile.

3. Goldfish11

Goldfish11 Active Member

Car:
    C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
    Make sure that the 4x4 has winter tyres or you will be just as stuck well more like you wont stop. 4x4 with Winter :thumb: 4x4 with no winters you are better off putting winters on the C63.

4. Paddcomp

Paddcomp Active Member

Car:
    E320CDI Avantgarde Estate S211
    I don't have an AMG but was thinking the same thing. Plenty of Defenders and even Range Rovers about, but then you look at the condition and starting uping the budget a little at a time.
    Might be useful to have a 4x4 not only for when it snows but lots of those dirty jobs and taking stuff to the tip.

5. Shude

Shude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    I do have an AMG and it's fine to use in winter. Drop your car off for the day at your favourite workshop for a winter checkup and while it's there have the tyres swapped for winters. Happy days!

Unless you have another purpose for the 4x4 (or you are independently wealthy) then buying it just for winter is insanity. Winter-tyre users have been accused of craziness for simply fitting different tyres in winter, the net cost of which is essentially nothing (possibly a bit of tyre fitting or a spare set of rims). Buying another car, taxing/insuring/nursing it through MOTs etc just for use in winter is plain silly.

Having a second car to take to the tip is totally acceptable though, this is why I let my missus keep her Focus! ;)

6. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

I understand any AMG has a lot of power but as with any car you don't have to drive them fast..

Winter tyres do make a huge difference and in the lon run far cheaper than a second car and the hastle of will it work in the morning...

I'm still not convinced though as with winter tyres or not if the cars / lorrys in front get stuck...so do you... :)

Can you fit 17" on it, at least wheels and tyres would be cheaper or is it 18 / 19 only for the insurance etc

7. Alps

Alps MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 2004 Silver, E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    .... cost of insurance, tax, repairs....

as some have said above just invest in some winter tyres and a spare set of rims.

I drove my E55 through last winter on winter tyres and as long as your carefull it was fine, i even passed some 4x4`s which got stuck due to having summer tyres on!

I keep my 19`s for summer and have a set of 18`s on winter tyres

8. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

As for what I'm doing....

I'm riding this until it get too bad and I would fall off..

[​IMG]

then I will use these...

[​IMG]

car will be left in the lean-to :)

9. HB

HB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
    Find a 02 plate Honda CRV/HRV 5 door for a grand ish. Wont get stuck or anything.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  10. rf065

rf065 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    My CLK with winter tyres will leave your CRC/HRV standing in the snow. I had an X Trail before the CLK and and the CLK on winters is far safer.

Russ

11. Anders

Anders Active Member

Car:
    ‘14 BMW X5 M50D
    Used my previous E39 M5 for 4 winters, driving through terrible conditions (e.g. Belgium-Denmark in December) and all was fine - with winter tyres! The recommended size there is 235/45/17 (so a drop from 18" and much narrower (from 275/35 rears) and non staggered). The initial cost when spread over several years is neglible, and running a 4x4 would have been much more expensive.

12. WOODYTHEWISE

WOODYTHEWISE MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 500 Coupe.
    Hi, winter tyres have to be experienced to feel what a difference they make, you would not believe it. Having said that I purchased an 11year old Suzuki Grand Vitara for a couple of grand,one lady owner 40000 miles full history.It is a proper 4x4 with high/low transfer box and no rust. I also use it as a run around,not to save on petrol but short journeys kill cars. If you go this route buy now,lots of others will be doing the same.