C63 Owners with IPE or similar headers and MOT time.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vealige

Car
Has anyone else had any issues, my C63 went in for its MOT today at MB as I have the service care pack and to be fair it failed miserably on noise emitted, emissions and removal of cats (secondary)

I have an IPE manifold with the sports cats present then mated to the remainder of the standard C63 exhaust system so it still has the centre silencers and rear boxes. It sounds glorious there is no other word for it but I will be the first to admit it is "Loud" which is why in the future I was considering getting the rest of IPE system but driving it daily it really is not that loud or intrusive in the car.

The most irritating bit is not so much the noise part nor the lack of secondary cats it is failing on the emissions anyone else had similar issues???

CO at Idle was 0.55 (Max limit it 0.30)

CO at fast idle was 0.23 (Max limit is 0.20)
second fast ide was 0.20 (Max limit is 0.20) so passed on that bit...

I drive at least 20 miles a day in mine on fast A roads/in town driving it will be due its first spark plug change at the next service in July and she had done about 37k FMBSH.

The other very funny part is I have hard wired a dash cam into my car which records sound very clearly so got to listen to some interesting comments from the Oiks that work at MB and why you should never trust your car with a manufacturer servicing/working on them. There was a funny part when the receptionist who said and I quote "It made me cream....." when the guy in the drivers seat revved my car. That's fine love just not on the nappa leather if you please my Mrs would get suspicious I'm up to no good :thumb:

Anyway according to one of the techs "The owner must be a **** for spending all that money on getting the work done as it will never get through an MOT......." Actually the owner has spent not a great deal as it was like it when I purchased it, however I appreciate your comments which is why this video will be landing in your bosses inbox along with MB UK....

It makes me wonder in 2016 that people have not cottoned onto the fact most people have dash cams and also the fact mine chimes rather loudly when you turn the ignition on so its bloody obvious you are being recorded.

I thought I was past the age of having to take cars to "friendly" MOT stations looks like I best drop it in to see a friend....

Last edited:
If anyone's going to fail a car with a non standard exhaust its the dealer.
Re the emissions, perhaps an Italian tune up pre MOT will give you a pass.

I have full IPE and no issues with emissions....serviced by MB. However MOT done at a independent

the car will have to have been run fairly hard and the test done quickly for the sports cats to do their work
you have the secondarys deleted or it wldnt be loud so also depends on which sports cats are in there as well...someone may have put 100 cell cats which are doubtfull as being able to pass a mot
And a dealer will never try to fudge an mot to help,lets be honest they are not there to be helpfull just take your money
it prob passed the second fast idle as the cats were warming up by then

Last edited:
I have a full Fi system with 200 cell 'sports' cats fitted, mine just failed its MOT quite spectacularly on emissions too.

My CO readings were a whole lot higher than yours 0.688 for the 1st fast idle test, 3.238 for the second and 1.095 for the idle test.

Hence I'm reverting back to my standard system now as a result and have agreed the sale of my Fi system to another member - he's only going to use the rear section and keep the standard cats so should have no emissions problems.

I have a full Fi system with 200 cell 'sports' cats fitted, mine just failed its MOT quite spectacularly on emissions too.

My CO readings were a whole lot higher than yours 0.688 for the 1st fast idle test, 3.238 for the second and 1.095 for the idle test.

Hence I'm reverting back to my standard system now as a result and have agreed the sale of my Fi system to another member - he's only going to use the rear section and keep the standard cats so should have no emissions problems.

Thats pretty drastic surely u could get a mot done to take into account the emmissions
and with those figures is it not poss the lambda or something else is amiss as they are way out

Paul,
Thats very high figures.
When mine was tested it actually passed on the emissions test so could have in theory had it done by a Dealer without an issue

Thats pretty drastic surely u could get a mot done to take into account the emmissions
and with those figures is it not poss the lambda or something else is amiss as they are way out

Paul,
Thats very high figures.
When mine was tested it actually passed on the emissions test so could have in theory had it done by a Dealer without an issue

Yeah, disappointingly high figures.

No fault codes for anything else wrong, according to Eurocharged, there would have to be a massive air leak or the cats have failed.

As my local garage has reported that he can't find any air leak, the old exhaust is being fitted and as long as it passes the MOT then, that would point to the cats being at fault.

Yeh to be fair I dropped the car off at MB at 10am and they didn't do the test until 1400 and just left the car to idle to warm up plus the occasional long rev to show it off to whoever came in the workshop.

To be fair serves me right for being cheap and taking advantage of a free MOT at Mercedes.

On the upside got to sit in the AMG GTS must admit despite the 113k price tag it really did feel like something special to be sat in.

I agree with your comments about MB main dealer servicing, I will not be darkening their doors again.
Mine went in for a standard service which was £400+ so I decided to wait for it. About 20 minutes into the service I was presented with a video of my four newish tyres being 'bold' on the inner surfaces and that I should replace all four at an additional cost of £1200 plus my wiper smeared so a new set at £60 plus fitting was required.
Knowing my car fairly well and being a bit of a fanatic with things I knew this was bull so declined. When I got the car home I cleaned the wiper rubbers that were filthy and now work properly but couldn't for the life of me figure out how the four tyres would need replacing.
The only reason I used an MB main dealer was because the Porsche Centre I bought the car from required it to be serviced correctly to comply with the 12 month comprehensive warranty so I decided it was better in the event of a claim to have the MB stamp.
When I walked into the dealership I counted about 50 people working there mostly in suits so I guess it costs a lot to run and I'm sure unwary punters may well contribute to the overheads. I concluded they don't deserve my custom and I'll use my local independent as I planned to do anyway but just not on this first occasion.

Mine's due it's first MoT in July though, as Lee, it won't be going to the dealership as I have no cats at all on it. It will pass however, though I may not get *exact* readings on the emission testing...

Yeah, disappointingly high figures.

No fault codes for anything else wrong, according to Eurocharged, there would have to be a massive air leak or the cats have failed.

As my local garage has reported that he can't find any air leak, the old exhaust is being fitted and as long as it passes the MOT then, that would point to the cats being at fault.

Update on this, my standard exhaust was fitted to my car over the weekend and flew through it's MOT, when the guy removed the Fi exhaust, he noticed that there were no cats in the system at all - despite me being sold it as a 200 cell catted system.:dk:

As you can imagine, I'm not over happy about this turn of events.:mad:

paulshep69 said:
Update on this, my standard exhaust was fitted to my car over the weekend and flew through it's MOT, when the guy removed the Fi exhaust, he noticed that there were no cats in the system at all - despite me being sold it as a 200 cell catted system.:dk: As you can imagine, I'm not over happy about this turn of events.:mad:

Whom did you purchase the exhaust from?

the fi and ipe sportscats are very small but was it a mail order or did u get it fitted by supplier as it sounds like the factory might have sent wrong system and it shd have been checked before fitment

as i said sounds like an error from the factory but also the fitter shd have said it had no cats and confirm the fitting first
did the mot station not point out the lack of cats.then u cld have kept it aND just added the sportscats

Have you been given an explanation from EC?

Tony.

see my post above...i doubt it was ever seen at eurocharged as paul is in scotland so prob cleard customs and went direct to him
This wld def have been a packing error as you can have them catted or not and its likely instead of sending the sportscat system the straight through one was sent

I don't suppose you have the HC figures at hand?....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom