C63 P31 disk thickness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecain63

Car
'62 C63 PPP Saloon. Red. V5 Map. Remus exhaust. 181mph at Vmax stealth
Off the top of your head, anyone know minimum disk thickness for PPP front disks?

It's ok, found the answer. I think he means P30 vs P31 but here's what one of our residents said:

"For P30 package

For the Fronts the rotors new are 36mm, wear limit for service is 33.5mm, Wear limit is 33mm

Without P30,

Front rotors new are 36mm, wear limit for service is 34mm, and wear limit is 33.4mm

Rear new is 26mm, wear limit for service is 24.5mm, and wear limit is 24mm"

Because I measured my disc thickness earlier and because it was dark I couldn't read / or even find the details stamped on the disc. Wanted to check my wear levels. I've got 35.3 on one side and 35.7 on the other. That ok? lol

Confused! Why are you concerned about disc thickness?
Obviously the thinner the disk the more chance of heat soak and therefore the more chance of the disc warping under heat. But what are you worried about?

Confused! Why are you concerned about disc thickness?
Obviously the thinner the disk the more chance of heat soak and therefore the more chance of the disc warping under heat. But what are you worried about?

Not worried about anything. More worried about your questions to be fair!

Having only bought the car 2 weeks ago I just wanted to gauge the wear over the past 20k miles. Brake wear tells a story. Looks like they aren't that worn. Pads are probably 60% done though.

I've also worked out my supposed stock car is mapped so wanted to learn a bit more about the cars history. ie. track days or other. Brakes will tell me this.

Not worried about anything. More worried about your questions to be fair!

Having only bought the car 2 weeks ago I just wanted to gauge the wear over the past 20k miles. Brake wear tells a story. Looks like they aren't that worn. Pads are probably 60% done though.

I've also worked out my supposed stock car is mapped so wanted to learn a bit more about the cars history. ie. track days or other. Brakes will tell me this.

Ok. So your trying to gauge your cars previous history by the wear on your discs and pads?

Last edited:
There should be little dimples on the outer edge of the disc, like a hole that has not been fully drilled through. These are wear indicators, once these disappear, the discs need replacing so get saving.

S

There should be little dimples on the outer edge of the disc, like a hole that has not been fully drilled through. These are wear indicators, once these disappear, the discs need replacing so get saving.

S

This is my question. So the indicators ( dimples ) disappear. Who says they need replacing?

I do building/maintenance work at a few main dealer garages around local areas and I see the scrap they throw in there skip. Some of the brake discs look like brand new.

Ok. So your trying to gauge your cars previous history by the wear on your discs and pads?

My car has done 20k miles. If the discs were worn out I'd be concerned about the use the car had. As the paint is excellent and discs are fine I have less reason to worry. Simple self reassurance that all. Is this ok for you?

S

Just asking Simon but I always thought that the pads don't quite reach the extreme outside of the disc? So a worn disc would only be worn where the contact area of the pad was leaving an untouched lip around the extreme edge of the disc.

As I said, I'm not questing you, it's just an innocent query. :dk:

Ant.

Yes, you always get a lip on the disc as it wears.

My car has done 20k miles. If the discs were worn out I'd be concerned about the use the car had. As the paint is excellent and discs are fine I have less reason to worry. Simple self reassurance that all. Is this ok for you?

I didn't take FM comments as extreme as you have Eddie. I think he was just asking your cause for concern, that's all

Ant. :rolleyes:

The beauty of text. Maybe he wasnt being aggressive with the questions. If that's the case I apologise. Still, could be worded a bit less intensely.

So the little dimples or wear indicators on the outside edge of the disc would remain untouched.

Ant.

I had no idea there were dimples on the discs. Tyres yes, discs no.

I was referring to Simons post. He mentioned the dimples.

Ant.

Cool. Sorry, I was replying with a broad brush. lol

Dealerships love to pull the midday question when you take your car in for service " your disks and pads are running a little low sir we recommend you replace them this time " O what a surprise go in then that's £1500 please thank you.

S

This is correct on the C63 there are dimples to measure.

I don't believe the rears have them, either that or my discs are shot on the rear :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom