C63 power/electrical steering issues - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesyc63

Car
C63
Hi guys just got my car back from a service and inspection of a steering issue i thought i had. (2013 C63 saloon)

Its been checked over thoroughly and advised all ok, been ton the STAR diagnostic and all clear.

However, i can still feel this weird thing through the steering wheel when cornering -

The only way i can describe it is like an electric current running through the wheel making it vibrate but not like a balancing vibration. Its an electric feeling similar to the feeling you get when the lane assist is working. If you coast around a corner without applying throttle its fine, but as soon as you apply any throttle it does this electrical current type feeling.

I understand the C63 has electric power steering so is this how they are meant to be? its quite heavy steering which im fine with as its a big heavy car but this power steering thing is not a nice feeling to drive with to be honest.

Last edited:
Hi guys just got my car back from a service and inspection of a steering issue i thought i had. (2013 C63 saloon)

Its been checked over thoroughly and advised all ok, been ton the STAR diagnostic and all clear.

However, i can still feel this weird thing through the steering wheel when cornering -

The only way i can describe it is like an electric current running through the wheel making it vibrate but not like a balancing vibration. Its an electric feeling similar to the feeling you get when the lane assist is working. If you coast around a corner without applying throttle its fine, but as soon as you apply any throttle it does this electrical current type feeling.

I understand the C63 has electric power steering so is this how they are meant to be? its quite heavy steering which im fine with as its a big heavy car but this power steering thing is not a nice feeling to drive with to be honest.

I think to try driving another C63 to see if you get it. I have never experienced anything like and I have had two c63's one with lane assistant and the other with not.

Also, worth showing a mechanic at Mercedes if they feel it too?

Rocky

I think to try driving another C63 to see if you get it. I have never experienced anything like and I have had two c63's one with lane assistant and the other with not.

Also, worth showing a mechanic at Mercedes if they feel it too?

Rocky

Ok thanks, so weird. Surely the Star diagnostic would pull up any errors but all came back clear. Is yours quite heavy on the steering? Kind of ruining the whole experience for me to be honest at the moment

Ok thanks, so weird. Surely the Star diagnostic would pull up any errors but all came back clear. Is yours quite heavy on the steering? Kind of ruining the whole experience for me to be honest at the moment

My steering is very light.

Do you have all the matching tyres on all ends? Also check for cracks etc in the alloys?

My steering is very light.

Do you have all the matching tyres on all ends? Also check for cracks etc in the alloys?

really? blimey mine feels pretty heavy to steer - PAS levels are all ok and has good branded matching tyres on it.

really? blimey mine feels pretty heavy to steer - PAS levels are all ok and has good branded matching tyres on it.

Also, worth checking tyre pressure. I've had an issue last year with tyre pressure and the steering feels as if it had "lag." I got a tyre fitter to check it for me and balance the pressure up. I think the recommendation is 42 front and 46 in the rear. It could be lower too with less weight.

Rocky

Ok thanks guys very strange. My steering is definitely on the heavy side and this pulsing vibrations through the steering wheel on cornering when accelerating is doing my head in and ruining the whole drive of the car for me.

If the STAR diagnostics didnt pick up any faults what else could it be? what that check for power steering pump etc?

Could be an ABS problem, with a faulty sensor that reads wrong but not enough to generate a fault code? You may have a sticking calliper or warped disc if it happens only when cornering under power....

Could just be the steering reacting to bumps in the road?

What sort of speed / steering load are we talking about?

Have you taken an MB mechanic out with you and get him to drive the same stretch of road you experience this “tremors” on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom