C63 Rear Wheel damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dandy

Car
C63 Coupe
Alright Gents,

My C63 is in at Merc just now to have all 4 alloys replaced due to corrosion. The dealer has just phoned saying they wont put the tyres on the new wheels due to sidewall damage they claim is due to the tyres having been run flat.

I seem to remember noticing once that the inside edge of both rear wheels showed signs of having been rubbed/damaged although at the time i didnt pay much attention to it.

Anyone else had similar issues? I only put the rear tyres on in July and the tyre fitters didnt mention any issues with the wheels at the time.

Cheers

If the tyres had run flat wouldn't the TPMS have picked this up? I've not had any issue with OEM 19s but have heard of them cracking on other forums as they are cast rather than forged.

Al

Do you straddle speed cushions or run one wheel over the centre of them?

Straddling cushions chews the inside sidewall away.

The oem 19's on mine give up ages ago. Cracks, and corrosion. From what I've read it's common with the 19's ( cracks ) mine was the silver with grey inner spokes and the face started to corrode as well.

Do you straddle speed cushions or run one wheel over the centre of them?

Straddling cushions chews the inside sidewall away.

I used to straddle them, right up to the time that I scrapped a tyre on one that must have been a bit steep on the sides.

As I came off it, TPMS warning, followed by an instant flat :(.

The bead had deformed.

Went to the dealer last night to look at the tyre, turns out its the fronts, not the rears, as i was told. Certainly damage to the sidewall right round the tyre, does look as if its been run soft. I cant quite figure out why both tyres show it, or how anyone could have driven it so long with soft fronts, the TPMS would have been lit up like a christmas tree. Certainly wasnt during my ownership its been run flat.

Just waiting for Merc to give me a price for Mich PSS now to match my rears.

Attachments

• IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom