C63 removing primary cats ONLY & keeping secondary cats/resonators- anyone done this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monky

Car
C63
Hi all,

I've watched loads of videos of people who have removed secondary cats and or resonators. To me, personally, a lot sound really raspy and un-refined, more like a shouting car rather than a deep rumbling puuurrrrr like the original C63 sound.

I just watched this video, I think, going from description, guy has just removed his primary cats and left the rest, sounds really nice, same noise, just deeper, I've asked him to confirm what he's done exactly but sounds good, see here:

[YOUTUBE]KzjrQDnsDgE[/YOUTUBE]

Eurocharged says removing primary cat's give much better gains over removing secondary in comparison when I remap next month as they are pretty hefty, not too bothered about gains mind, just sound really. Who else has just removed primary but left everything else completely stock? If it sounds like the above I am doing it! Would be quite easy to unbolt under manifold, cut cats and install straight pipe as I have good fabricator, or gut the primary cats, bit messy but doable.
I had straight pipes on my SL55 from the primary cats onwards, sounded fun for about 2 days then I hated it, was completely insane
smashfreak.gif
I'm getting older and want to retain the nice sound AMG built, just with a bit more ommpphhhhh
smile.gif

Cheers,

M

Last edited:
I don't think there's many if any on here that have done away with the primary cats. A few that have took out the secondary tho. I understand what you mean by the sound by doing secondary's it's not the sound I would be looking for.

Sounds very similar to Long tube headers (which would give you another 50BHP)

However, In my opinion it would be way too loud for use everyday. And would attract far to many disapproving looks from the general public.

Valved exhaust is the way forward in my opinion, then at the flick of a switch you can go from loud and deep note back to the OEM sound.

on the E55 adding headers ,removing the primary`s and leaving the rest sounds pretty good. nice and deep, no drone!

Thinking of doing the same as Lee's IPE system , then uve got the best of both worlds .

I would talk to Acid & the MSL team as they've tried
Alot of variations & can give best advice .

Thinking of doing the same as Lee's IPE system , then uve got the best of both worlds .

I would talk to Acid & the MSL team as they've tried
Alot of variations & can give best advice .

The IPE system is great, quiet with the valves closed and and nice deep grumble and bark with them open.

This was mine with just the rear section (cat back) fitted. And to be fair the video clip does not do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owQScPT7Uno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom