C63 steering rattle knocking sensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newtonmetre

Car
2010 C63
I've recently purchased a C63 standard. So no PP or PPP. It has 19 inch rims and 4000 miles. Excellent condition and car all round with everything still very tight

however...

There appears to be a significant steering knocking sensation over bumpy roads. The column physically feels tight however there is a mechanical rattle that is transmitted to the wheel that is noticeable. I've done a lot of searching for this issue on forums and found some clear comments that this is a trait of the car. However due to the extent of the knocking when doing high speed driving on bumpy roads, the sensation can become disconcerting with a non-connected sensation coming through.

How prevalent do the c63 owners find this? Anyone in Yorkshire will no doubt have similarly bumpy roads so Im wondering is this normal and the road conditions locally exacerbate the problem?

Would welcome speaking to other owners who have experienced this as it's stopping enjoyment of the total package!

How prevalent do the c63 owners find this? Anyone in Yorkshire will no doubt have similarly bumpy roads so Im wondering is this normal and the road conditions locally exacerbate the problem?

would you consider relocating :D

Thanks Mika... A creative solution. Albeit an expensive one.

I do understand that the knock is a trait however I'm trying to determine is mine worse than normal.

There are RODS with ball joints at both ends which attach the anti roll bar to the front struts at both sides [ they are sometimes referred to as "drop links"] The B/J ,s may have failed causing your knock. To test ----if you can physically get a hand on them [ access may be limited??] get an assistant to rock the car up and down on its front suspension. Any play should become apparent. IF you find its that then
part nos

A2043201789 left side

A2043201889 right side around £18 each from Merc

That's good knowledge grober. When you say play should be apparent are you referring to in the steering wheel or in the movement of the suspension when rocking?

That's good knowledge grober. When you say play should be apparent are you referring to in the steering wheel or in the movement of the suspension when rocking?
Sorry my explanation wasn't too good. Lie out on the ground and try to physically get a gentle grip on the vertical drop link itself via the wheelwell . If you havn't got a boiler suit handy use some old clothes and lie/kneel on a suitable piece of cardboard. Get the assistant to rock the car on its suspension. The sense of touch is very sensitive- you will feel any slight play as a distinct "tapping sensation" as if someone was hitting the rod with a hammer as well as the normal smooth vertical motion you might expect. In fact you may be able to hear the slight knocking noise of a worn drop link by rocking the car on it suspension while listening carefully. The touch method is more exact as "suspension noise" could of course be from any part of the front suspension.

The problem has been diagnosed as a rattle in the airbag which is now being replaced. I got great service from Mercedes AMG through the process.

Newtonmetre,

Thanks for the feedback. My 10/10 plate C63 had this very judder when the car went over uneven surfaces, but the steering column was not actually moving. My mother has just taken delivery of a new E-class Cab at it has the same juddering sensation so it seems strange that this has not been identified by MB. Will ask her to take the E-Class it for a check.

I have a new C63 on order and hopefully this fault has been addressed.

Let us know how the car is after the dealer has had a chance to replace the airbag.

Kind Regards
Marvin

Hi marvin. They replaced airbag and no change to the sensation. It's still there. Albeit slightly reduced. I have found that putting the steering wheel closer to the instruments rather than extended out towards the driver reduces the knocking. The extension may well amplify the sensation? Does anyone else find this?

Did anyone ever find a solution to this issue? My 2010 C300 Sport has had this same problem since I purchased it new in 2010. Thanks!

I am sure there is a document on this problem. Pm me in the morning and I will have a look.

Send me an email and I will double check in the morning otherwise I will forget.

The repair is to adjust the free-play in the steering rack.

Dealers know about it very well.

We can also do that job here at PCS.

Knocking in My steering but no sound just a knock

I've recently purchased a C63 standard. So no PP or PPP. It has 19 inch rims and 4000 miles. Excellent condition and car all round with everything still very tight

however...

There appears to be a significant steering knocking sensation over bumpy roads. The column physically feels tight however there is a mechanical rattle that is transmitted to the wheel that is noticeable. I've done a lot of searching for this issue on forums and found some clear comments that this is a trait of the car. However due to the extent of the knocking when doing high speed driving on bumpy roads, the sensation can become disconcerting with a non-connected sensation coming through.

Would welcome speaking to other owners who have experienced this as it's stopping enjoyment of the total package!

I have the same problem anyone diagnosed the problem tks

The repair is to adjust the free-play in the steering rack.

Dealers know about it very well.

We can also do that job here at PCS.
Hi BlackC55 I just purchased C63 and I have the same problem with Knocking in My steering wheel no sound just knocking feeling over bumpy roads. You posted adjusting the free play on steering rack is this Diagnosis correct, also seen post on airbags being replaced. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom