C63 Test Drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobby

Car
1999 C43 AMG
...So I found myself sitting in a brand new black C63 fresh from Deutscheland... "Here, turn the key" said the salesman.

The car roared into life - I can only describe it as an explosion!

For a second I was transported to a DTM pit lane.

But how did I get here?

Well my mother-in-law wanted a Smart like my partner's - so I got on the phone to my local dealer. We cut a rather good deal (£700 down, £119 per month - factory order car) and we just needed to tie up the details. "Come in" he said. "What do you drive?" he asked innocuously. "A C43" I responded. "I had an estate version - love that car. I've got a C63 sitting here. Tell you what, you come down and then we'll go for a quick blast"

I have to admit on the way to the showroom I wasn't thinking of the Smart!

Anyway, back to the drive - the car I went in had the voice activated COMAND - for those of us that grew up with KnightRider - you'll be happy. I floored the car and it literally E X P LO D E D towards the horizon. The salesman and my OH both cried with joy/ fear! When pootling around in some traffic a bit later I floored it again and the wheels spun! The ASC kicked in - wow.

The steering wheel is the business - at any position you have a firm useable grip available which gives you a great deal of control.

But the #1 thing that sells this car is... that engine. The sound...oh my gosh! I wouldn't need a stereo.

I took a few pics - I'll post them tomorrow. I had no intention of getting one of these beasts - but I tell you what - I'll be calling the accountant in the morning to run some figures! ;)

Many thanks for the write up, bobby :rock:

I shall be test driving a C63 when the dealer receives another demonstrator, so you've now given me idea of what to expect!

What is quality like in the C63? Any ideas as to handling, or was it purely a demonstration of straight-line speed you tested?

Thanks again!

Darren

that looks like MB Brentford ..

Saw this car last week, it has the new flashy wing mirrors :)

Many thanks for the write up, bobby :rock:

I shall be test driving a C63 when the dealer receives another demonstrator, so you've now given me idea of what to expect!

What is quality like in the C63? Any ideas as to handling, or was it purely a demonstration of straight-line speed you tested?

Thanks again!

Darren

Hi Darren,

I'm sure the owners of these cars are far more equipped to answer your questions (MW_C32 etc.) but for what its worth - quality = TOP! Handling felt to me like being in a DTM car, the thing ate up the few corners I threw it into. I really felt like I was in a monster - the sound stays with you!

Anyway, call to accountant bore no joy, and I'm not selling the '43, so I recommend that you DON'T drive one unless fully committed to a purchase - as you WILL want one ;)

I recommend that you DON'T drive one unless fully committed to a purchase - as you WILL want one ;)

Good advice. I was doing some "research" a few years ago. Popped out one morning five years ago to test drive an E55 and a C43. Came home with the C43......

Hi Darren,

I'm sure the owners of these cars are far more equipped to answer your questions (MW_C32 etc.) but for what its worth - quality = TOP! Handling felt to me like being in a DTM car, the thing ate up the few corners I threw it into. I really felt like I was in a monster - the sound stays with you!

Anyway, call to accountant bore no joy, and I'm not selling the '43, so I recommend that you DON'T drive one unless fully committed to a purchase - as you WILL want one ;)

Haha, not wrong there, glad you enjoyed it.:cool: If I haven't been out in mine for a few days I have to fire it up just to listen to the sound. :devil:
Very addictive.

M.

Haha, not wrong there, glad you enjoyed it.:cool: If I haven't been out in mine for a few days I have to fire it up just to listen to the sound. :devil:
Very addictive.

M.

It's not good to the engine just to be started and then not properly warmed up during a decent drive of reasonable length .. premature engine wear

Looks like Colindale - there are a couple of decent salesmen (and one nice looking service receptionist.. ;) )there... the guys there are always keen to get out of the showroom and have a spin.. :D

Last edited:
It's a great drive - really glad you enjoyed it - true there's nothing that beats the sound of a V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom