C63 timing chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sanjc63

Car
C63 w204
Hi. Lately I have noticed when I 1st start my car the it a rattle. Only last 1 second or even less. Only happens if the car has been left. Sounds like a timing chain rattle. Has anyone else had this? Not sure if it's normal.

These engines suffer with a few common issues with rattles from the engine. Mainly the variable valve timing gears become noisy on them.

Does the car still have warranty on it.

No it just ran out. It rattles for literally 1 second then stops. Annoying as its clears so quickly it's impossible to diagnose.

The timing chain tensioner relies on oil pressure to " tension" the timing chain. As things get worn it sometimes takes a second or two for the tensioner to pressure up and to take up any slack in the timing chain. Think that's what you are hearing. What grade of oil are you using?

That's exactly what I thought it was. Not sure what grade oil is in it as I only had it 2 months. Full mb history tho who should be the correct oil. Cars has only done 19k

As I recall AMG have pretty strict recommendations on which oil to use. IRRC they favoured MOBIL products but that may have changed- some current C63 owners may wish to comment??
see Sheet 223.2
Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid
Mercedes-Benz Betriebsstoff-Vorschriften: Motoröl, Getriebeöl, ATF, Kühlmittel, Bremsflüssigkeiten

NOTE THE FOOTNOTE [2] IN THE FIRST LINK
SAE 0W-40 SAE 5W-40 only

PS It may also be worth asking MB if there is a recall on any timing chain tensioners which should have been done under warranty- If the car has a full MB service history and is just out of warranty they may be sympathetic??

Last edited:
Might just get a oil change done on it to make sure. I'll give Mercedes a ring today and ask them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom