C63 to Bmw 1M

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jc63

Car
2013 c63 AMG
Just thinking of making the move to a 1M i have racked up 6300miles in 5 months and i have now moved offices to my home town so i can take the push bike to work!:crazy:

I was thinking i want something a little more for the weekend but i have done several Exiges etc i still want something practical ish!

It was between Cayman R or the 1M like the thought of the Bmw as its a bit "special" and will be a future classic like the CSL.

The C63 has dropped in value so badly i am pretty annoyed about it (i know i should have expected it):rolleyes: but not to this extent in only 5 months. In fact my local dealer said he won't touch a c63 purchased or even if i wanted to PX for another Merc...

Any one had either of the above? am i mad for changing so soon? i feel if i wait any longer the **** will most definitely fall out of the c63 with the new one coming in 2015.

If anyone wants to purchase a c63 at trade value £43k let me know as it might just be going in the next week or so.

Cayman S with PDK any day over the 1M.

Depends what you require, the Cayman handles superb if anything for the road to well, if you require the odd powerslide then its the 1M.

The 1M also has two handy back seats and a boot, of which you can drop a spare wheel into.

Mate of mine with a 1M has had many Porsche's over the years and is not going back, another friend is about to sell a MP4-12C for a 1M..

If its the new shape cayman yes i agree but i fancy a budget of 40k-42k.

G.P that's really my thoughts and the only negative to to Cayman is not having rear seats but for the budget its hard to ignore.. a nice one can be had for 37-38k

BUT! the 1M i drove today just felt great snug planted and back to a slick manual shift was nice. the gearbox is miles better than my old e92 M3. i also feel i won't have a chance to miss the torque of the amg due to the straight 6 twin turbo is capable of some impressive figures and 250kg lighter?

Seems as if i have already talked myself into one..:rolleyes:

But am i missing something with my c63? sounds silly but the 6kmiles iv done have been pretty mundane driving to work with hoons mixed into it but i find myself driving 70-80mph and just filling the thing up! I can't modify it so to speak due to warranty and Merc have left me feeling cold after hearing the comments of my local dealer on price and his words "banded from buying c63's or even PXing them!!, it will only get worse so the thought of jumping ship now makes sense, however if i had used my head at the time and purchased a 11-12plate...

Appalling comment from your dealer - whereabouts are you ? Also have you checked their website to see if they have stock ? I would seriously consider pinging a quick email to MB UK naming and shaming.

All that said it's financial suicide jumping out when you are. It's hard to predict where C63 values are going to end up but if you were pxing and didn't have a daft dealer you'd be a lot better off. For reference I got £42k trade in after 14 months and 14k miles.

Good luck.

1M is a great 'old school' car and will be worth what you paid for it (or more) when you sell.

One of the business owners on our industrial estate went from a Boxster S to an E60 M5 which he hated to a focus RS which he loved and now to a 1M. He absolutely loves the car in every way and told me just a fortnight ago that he can't imagine what he would replace it with.

It's not my kind of car but I can appreciate something a little special when I see it.

1M is a limited run is it not?

After my M3 I really don't like BM's anymore. Just my personal opnion. Go with what your heart says, you only get one life.

There was a chap with one at a trackday at Goodwood last year. I could not shake him off my tail all day (I had a C63 PPP which I tracked quite hard) and he was grinning like a Cheshire Cat all day.

Great looking little car too with the pumped up wheel arches.

But test drive a Cayman, why not a Boxster S too?

p3tchy said:
1M is a limited run is it not? After my M3 I really don't like BM's anymore. Just my personal opnion. Go with what your heart says, you only get one life.

Yes limited run.

A good friend of mine has the 1M and I've had a go in it - no doubt it is a quick car, we compared against my old e93 M3 and the C63 507 on track at Bedford - in a straight line comparison there isn't much in it until you start to hit higher speeds, say 100 leptons and above when the extra BHP starts to show. The 1M is a great little car and will hold its value, also meaning you have to pay a lot to get one too. Would I swap my 507 for one - I wouldn't as its not for me as its too small but it is a great car.

Dunc

hello bud

I use to own a 1M and have never owned the cayman R so i cant speak about that.

The 1M is a great car. personally i never gelled with it.
Biggest disappointment was the noise. my car prior to the 1M was the E92 M3 with an Evolve E-tronic exhaust and the 1M didn't and never will sound anywhere near as good as a V8.

It sounds to me that you do alot of motorway driving and the 1M will average 30+ mpg. It drones at 70mph which is annoying. easily rectified by the N55 pipe (£150)

BUT

The 1M is very agile. it feels planted and very surefooted. every roundabout, turn and squeeze the throttle and you could feel everything through seat and wheel.

I think everybody looks at the 1M with rose tinted glasses. its not as perfect as the magazines make out. maybe if you lived near a track but in the real world with our road conidtions it just wasn't.

currently driving an E63 Bi turbo and haven't looked back or regretting it for one second.

on a plus note. i part exchanged it for more money than i bought it for.

go test drive both is always the answer.

-ho

Biggest disappointment was the noise. my car prior to the 1M was the E92 M3 with an Evolve E-tronic exhaust and the 1M didn't and never will sound anywhere near as good as a V8.

It sounds to me that you do alot of motorway driving and the 1M will average 30+ mpg. It drones at 70mph which is annoying. easily rectified by the N55 pipe (£150)

its not as perfect as the magazines make out. maybe if you lived near a track but in the real world with our road conidtions it just wasn't.

Biggest disappointment for me with the E92 M3 was the noise from a V8, I much prefer a straight 6, good job we are all different.

The earlier production run of the 1M's did boom on a motorway at 70, the later runs were not as bad.

What makes you say its not suited to our roads as whenever I drive it its so easy so to poddle around town..

Thanks for all the informative replies and great to hear the ones that have had first hand experience with one (not a car magazine etc) and all good comments.

Things have moved along nicely with the C63 got a very good price for it so just need to get on a buy something now, i think it may just be the 1M iv seen, i have been moaning to my partner at how bad i feel iv been stung by MB (Lookers Maidstone made the comments i said about in the first post) but i will miss the AMG its been short but awesome and i don't regret owning such a car il miss THAT noise for sure..I always return to the cars iv enjoyed and this is one of them so il be back. Even had a honk from a fellow 63 owner today :)

Its hard trying to find a car that ticks all the boxes and this is one of them (i think) i even thought about 997 c2s/4s

Cheers
J

G.P said:
Biggest disappointment for me with the E92 M3 was the noise from a V8, I much prefer a straight 6, good job we are all different. The earlier production run of the 1M's did boom on a motorway at 70, the later runs were not as bad. What makes you say its not suited to our roads as whenever I drive it its so easy so to poddle around town..

Granted the e92 in standard guise is very muted. Each to their own. I prefer v8's. I genuinely only purchased the 1M built on hype. We're not all aryton senna and drifting on a public road is only gonna lead to a crash.
I personally found the ride a tad harsh. Every pot hole/man hole was a jar. Which caused the windscreen to creak every once in a while

Anywhoo to the op. I'm nit picking. Good luck with the 1M. It's a great car on a sunny day. Listen to the akraprovic YouTube vids and fall in love I guess. Bimmerpost is generally filled with guys from over the pond with great knowledge.

Make sure the car your looking at has the "1 of 450" plaque on the ashtray lid. They are pain to get a hold of. Only one per chassis can be replaced by BMW.

Now you don't need an every day car I think the 1M would be a sound depreciation minimising solution. Nice as the new Cayman S is I don't see it weathering the storm of depreciation as well and as you say the position you find yourself in with the dealer on the C63 hurts!

Not been on for a while, Again thanks for the info i have almost done the deal on the 1M now should pick it up on Friday :)

Looking forward to it just hope it lives up to the excitement of the c63 and other M cars i have had, Sounds crazy to buy a car without having a "proper" go in but the brief drive was very nice. i have watched countless reviews and vids it can hold its own in most "vs" vids and the noise the straight six makes is good just not AMG good!

I will be writing a letter to MB UK about my experiences re the Maidstone dealer, not sure what to expect back from them tbh but a hope he gets a good telling off and should help future owners. They made me feel like my car was worthless well it was to any Lookers dealer.

I will add some pictures of the 1M soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom