C63 top end engine rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fordgt40

Car
C63 AMG estate
Just got back from service at the dealers and there's a light metallic rattle coming from what sounds like the top of the engine, it's OK at lowish revs and tickover but say from 4000 onwards it sounds bloody awful, very rattley, now it didn't do it before it went in, I'm just wondering what oil they put in these days and if that could be the cause, has anybody has experienced something similar, it was too late to call them but I will tomorrow first thing, could do with a bit of prior info before I speak to someone, the car is a 2012 with 17,500 miles.

Have you looked round the engine bay for loose trim?

Have you looked round the engine bay for loose trim?

Had a good look but it's not that sort of rattle, I've built engines in the past, the last one was the engine in my GT40 so I've a fair idea about these things, it's like a high speed clatter linked to the speed of the engine, like cam followers or tappets noise, I've had the stethescope on the engine on idle and can't hear anything untoward, it's when it revs, I've owned the car for 3 years and never heard it before, it's definitely something done at the service, plug change, oil change etc.

Don't know if M156 has hydraulic tappets (highly likely) but if it was them, I'd expect to hear them at the idle due to lower oil pressure. Have you got a diag tool of some sort?

Is there any oil in it?

Yes they are hydraulic and there is the correct amount of new oil in it, I'm wondering if they use 0W30 oil instead of the 5W40 that was put in last year.

The 5W40 was what Mercedes used last year and previous years, shouldn't make that much difference anyway as long as it's 229.5, the car has had a fairly gentle life with a few quick bursts now and then, I have great mechanical sympathy after my rallying and racing years, something has changed today with it since it's been at the main AMG dealers, I'm under the impression they know what they're doing, AM I WRONG!!!!?

Is it all of the time?

Is it all of the time?

No,only when it's reving, full bore acceleration, nothing until say 3.5 to 4 thou then it starts, I've held it at 5 ish and mechanical sympathy tells me to lift off, it will rev further but it's almost like a mis fire, not good, up to the service it was perfect.
I'll maybe know a bit more in the next few days when I eventually get to know the dealer response.

Spoke to them this morning, stock answer, bring it down and we'll listen to it, fair enough but when I asked what oil was put in, Castrol was the answer, when I asked which one, that's all that's all that's on the job sheet was the answer, to be fair to them they did say they could find out and ring me back, I told them not to bother and I'll see you tomorrow, we will see.

If it was me , I'd insist on a free oil change whilst I wait ,see if it cures it...

To be honest I'm so fed up with the Merc dealer network, I've had 5 cars in total 2x 350D estates and 3 X C63 estates all from Mercedes, the cars are spot on when they come out of the factory and gradually get buggered up with dealer servicing, things like best part of £200 for 10 litres of oil for example when we all know it only takes 8.5, they are taking the p**s, I've had enough to be honest.

Why don't you find a good recommended MB indy local to you? the forum indys generally have access to MB online digital service book and have better knowledge than the stealers...or should I say money extraction centres:devil:
To be honest I'm so fed up with the Merc dealer network, I've had 5 cars in total 2x 350D estates and 3 X C63 estates all from Mercedes, the cars are spot on when they come out of the factory and gradually get buggered up with dealer servicing, things like best part of £200 for 10 litres of oil for example when we all know it only takes 8.5, they are taking the p**s, I've had enough to be honest.

Does anyone know of a good MB Indy in the north west?

ˆˆ

This is the best advice you will find on the forum :ˆ)

I moved my cars to Andy @ Wright Tech after being royally messed about with my C55. That was eight years ago. I have never once had any reason to complain or be upset with his service and he has done some huge jobs for me, including completely stripping and rebuilding my 300TE engine and gearbox. He now looks after all my cars and my neighbours cars and some of my friends.

Simon (Carat 3.6) on here is also a legend who fixed my Pajero. A fix that is now documented on the Pajero Forums and has saved some owners on there (one in Australia). Olly (BlackC55) has always offered me sound advice on the telephone.

On my 124 Estate restoration, just trying to order parts from main dealers is a hassle. All of this is down to a lack of care in their attitude when dealing with the public. They just want you off the phone with your money in their bank as soon as possible. Result = Wrong Parts, then time lost and hassle trying to return and get the correct part.

To Andy, Simon, Olly etc it is their life and their passion and it shows in what they produce and the care that they take doing so. They deserve our business and respect our property when they get it.

Why not service them yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom