C63 Track day, gearbox oil being blown out

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by budha7, Jun 16, 2015.

1. budha7

budha7 New Member

Car:
    -
    Hi

I've just come back from a deflating track day experience....
    My first track day in my car... (2009)
    Having completed 4 hot laps, allowing everything to warm up first of course. On the next lap I get black flagged! White smoke coming from my car and dropping oil.
    On inspection, we cannot pin point where it is coming from, but the bottom of the gearbox is covered in oil, and dripping/blowing onto the exhaust, causing white smoke.
    Oil Temp 130 max.
    Checked everything, ran the car to check for leaks, and it didn't. So, cleaned it all up an went for a drive on the roads to check. Normal driving no leaks..
    Held it in 3rd at a constant 4500rpm for 10 mins to get the temp up to the same as on track... No leaks.
    Went back on track being very careful, slowly picking up the pace while checking. After getting back to full pace, 4 laps in and it starts smoking again, leaking from the same place... Temp 130c.
    2 other 63's at the track (facelift models) were going into limp mode after 4 laps aswel..
    Ambient temp circa 25c (France)
    I'm assuming, from the info I can find is that the newer cars were going into limp due to gearbox getting to hot. Common issue.
    There appears not to be an issue with pre facelift models.
    The car is going to be booked into the dealer to check it out, has anyone else had this issue?
    I hear there is a wiring harness o ring that can leak, it seems strange that it was only doing it when driven hard?...
    I'm no race driver, and I know this isn't a pure track car, however 4 laps is poor.
    All I'm asking is if anyone has had this oil leak issue?

I'm away in a few weeks for some spirited driving, and need this sorted ASAP, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    A frustrated Neil

2. Optimus prime

Optimus prime Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    It may well be your sump gasket leaking but only at very high temp and pressure of the track racing forcing out the oil. A small amount of oil on a hot exhaust makes gallons of smoke similar to a drop of blood in a bucket of water.

Either that or the pan has warped.

Both straight forward repairs for any decent auto box garage, however the box has to be stone cold to refill it correclty, so expect your car to be in the dealers over night :(

3. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Isn't this a known issue? Thought I read something like this on the US forums. Sure there was some kerfuffle about it with MBUSA getting drawn in.

The Americans like to track day their cars and were complaining about only being able to complete a couple of hot laps...

4. ashe700

ashe700 Member

Car:
    clk55 amg
    Love the c63 never heard of this

5. Auto-mobile

Auto-mobile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2x c43 Amg clio 172 turbo 314bhp
    Are the gb cooler radiators not a problem on some of these? I seem to remember reading about a few.

6. c32andy

c32andy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c63 amg ppp
    hi

yes I tracked my car at silverston and I too got black flagged for smoke the oil temp reached 125 but no loss of power when I lifted the hood everything seemed normall so I went back out again I completed the 30min track time.
    Basically there is an overflow on the gearbox when the oil gets hot which leeked onto the exhaust causing the smoke.
    mb checked my car and that was the problem at least it didn't go into limp mode.

7. OP
    OP
    budha7

budha7 New Member

Car:
    -
    Sorry for the delay in replying!
    The car is booked in to the dealer on Monday for them to take a look.
    At the track, the car was jacked up and had a really good look to see if we could find where it was coming from, but due to there being a film of oil over the bottom of the box, we couldn't pin point it.
    I will suggest to look at the gasket and possible warped pan.
    C32andy - that is exactly what happened, couldn't understand why I was being pulled in, no loss of power, no warning lights, no smells.. Lifted the bonnet, couldn't see anything, then had a nose underneath. And there it was, minimal, but it was there.
    How did they fix yours?
    I don't want this to happen in the Alps!

I am still under extended warranty.
    Thanks all. Keep the info coming, and I will keep you updated!

8. BIRMA

BIRMA Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Lexus RCF
    Not sure if the C63 has the 7 speed MCT box as my SL 63 but mine left a cloud of smoke down the motorway about two days after collecting it, prior to the smoke screen I had been driving enthusiastically.
    So I pulled up quickly and noted that oil was dripping on to the exhaust and it was quite a stream, I very carefully drove it to Porsche Portsmouth where I'd bought it from and complained. I thought it was coming from the engine/gearbox joint but a bit of investigation made me conclude it was the gearbox which is what it turned out to be. I was told by Mercedes Oxford (they are part of Inchcape Group who own Porsche Portsmouth) where the car was transported to that someone had overfilled the gearbox and that it had been forced out the breather. They carried out an oil change on the gearbox and did a thorough test procedure which used up the nearly full tank of V-Power I'd just put in and the car seems OK.
    Although it did smell hot and the first time I gave it a good drive I noted a very small quantity of smoke when I lifted the bonnet. As I was a bit concerned I let PCS check it over for me and was told there was a fair bit of oil splattered all over the tunnel but everything seems OK.
    Having had the car for a few months now I have yet to see any re-occurance of the smoke screen and have been enjoying the cars performance capabilities but I still do a rear view check for smoke call me paranoid but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  9. c32andy

Car:
    c63 amg ppp
    no fix apparently...it happens when gear box oil is under pressure through a blow off valve or overflow.
    that's what I was told and to be fair my car has been fine since, but let me know if your dealership say otherwise.

10. c32andy

Car:
    c63 amg ppp
    anticipating your outcome??

11. OP
    OP
    budha7

budha7 New Member

Car:
    -
    1 of the Master Techs was ill today, so they haven't had chance to look at it.
    Hopefully tomorrow.....

12. OP
    OP
    budha7

budha7 New Member

Car:
    -
    They are talking about the possibility of it leaking through a vent? But have to do an exploratory, and want to remove the transmission to check it???

13. doughboy

doughboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 E63 AMG Estate
    OP, remember the oil temp gauge is engine oil, not gearbox oil, the two are not related, chances are on a track the gearbox oil is much more abnormal than the engine oil. Autos generate a lot of heat due to their inefficiency.

Although my last BMW would limp at 137degc, but it ran at 110 to 115 normal whereas the E63 TT runs at 100 normal.

You need to check where the highest oil mark is, if it's no higher than the sump then it is the sump gasket. But more likely it's a breather overflow due to heat expansion.

The diff housing overflowed on the e63 when hot when slightly overfilled after having the quaife diff fitted.

1 person likes this.
  14. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    Can you get a Aux cooler for the c63? maybe worth having one fitted if they do.

15. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Pretty sure MB have a fix for this track day problem, certainly in the States

1 person likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    budha7

budha7 New Member

Car:
    -
    There is a code 440 which is basically the black series oil cooler, lines and modified vents. But only available on face lifted models. As it is the MCT transmission which is mainly at fault.

There appear to be very little issues related to the pre face lift models. Apparently in the states they are buying up the pre face
    lift for this reason.

1 person likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    budha7

budha7 New Member

Car:
    -
    So....

It appears the breather was blocked/faulty, causing the ATF to be forced out of the dump gasket.
    Transmission out, new breather in and a rapid 3000 mile trip up and down the Alps and, fingers crossed, all appears to be good.
    Gauge temperatures were reading higher than on the track, but no problems, ambient was between 35 and 45!

So, for anybody now reading this, the problem, dare I say it, appears to be fixed!

1 person likes this.