C63 track use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BENINLUX

Car
C63 AMG - black with black wheels
Had my first trackday yesterday, at the Nurburgring F1 track.:D

Was a great day - my instructor even had the time to guide me 'round the Nordschleife for a sub-9 minute lap - I was absolutely crapping myself, while he shouted "flat out":cool:

Some photos here;
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/memb...-trackday-my-c63-nurburgring.html#post1177185

Anyway, I have ordered a second set of wheels to rotate between use for winter tyres but more immediately some semi-slicks :)bannana:) - Toyo R888s if I can get my hands on some. Not ordered the actual boots as yet, as some of the guys at the trackday have some contacts in some nearby garages, so I want to see if I can turn up anything there before parting with my hard-earned.

Besides, maybe I'll just get semi-slicks for the front, and some old winter tyres for the back, and practice some drifting!:devil:

Next trackday is at Dijon-Prenois on the 15th April. If anyone fancies joining me, there's space left - PM me:thumb:

Otherwise, hope to see you guys at GW at the end of next month:rock:

Great photos.

Thanks mate:thumb:

There was an actual snapper there on the day, so hopefully I'll be getting a CD in the post with some shots of me actually driving:cool:
Unfortunately I think he was based at the last corner a lot, where I wasn't troubling the apex very much:crazy:

Update to follow anway

Hi Mate, Loved the pictures and looks like you had the perfect weather and a great day. How did you find the car round the track?

Also loved the comment on almost crapping yourself on the test drive you got in your car LOL! Nice work Ben!

You say you need to get a new set of tyres for the next track day did it really make the difference not having a set of race tyres and what wheels have you gone for for the second set?:cool:

Its funny theres you and my mate Nige who have some great track days organised that I would love to join you both on. I think I'll be up for a trip over to you bud around the summer. I finally got my power and passion driving course booked yesterday for the 27th & 28th July which I am so excited about that just a shame we couldn't do that together mate. Anyway I'll see you in a couple of weeks and then we have Goodwood. :thumb::thumb:

Laters
Benjy:thumb:

Cool looks like your enjoying the car Ben, hope your not causing me too much extra work for when I see you in April.;):D

Hello Rob, hope you're well mate:thumb:

Actually the paint on one of my wheels cracked!:doh: Took it to MB, and they said they'd send it off for a repair under warranty.

I'm getting some 2nd hand 18" AMG wheels (the 5 spoke ones that come as standard) with tyres from rentaracecar near the Nordschleife, so I'll be on those when you see me. Bit gutted, as obviously I'd rather drive around on my 19"s as much as poss, plus I'd like you to treat them as well when I see you in a fortnight.:(

Plan is to use the 18"s for semi slicks (probably Toyo R888s), then winter tyres when it gets cold.
:bannana:

Hi Mate, Loved the pictures and looks like you had the perfect weather and a great day. How did you find the car round the track?

Also loved the comment on almost crapping yourself on the test drive you got in your car LOL! Nice work Ben!

You say you need to get a new set of tyres for the next track day did it really make the difference not having a set of race tyres and what wheels have you gone for for the second set?:cool:

Its funny theres you and my mate Nige who have some great track days organised that I would love to join you both on. I think I'll be up for a trip over to you bud around the summer. I finally got my power and passion driving course booked yesterday for the 27th & 28th July which I am so excited about that just a shame we couldn't do that together mate. Anyway I'll see you in a couple of weeks and then we have Goodwood. :thumb::thumb:

Laters
Benjy:thumb:

Hello mate:thumb:

I'm going to look at and probablt buy a set of the 5 spoke 18"s from rentaracecar near the 'ring on Tuesday. Will do a couple of tourst laps in the 5:30-6:30 session as well. My instructor should be about in some ridiculously modified volvo and has promised me a passenger lap. I'll try and get some more 'photos up before I leave for the UK on Thursday next week.

Anyway, apparently rentaracecar had a C63 for about a day, then decded it was too expensive, heavy and hard on tyres to make a permanent track car. Sounds fair enough to me, if I was buying a car ONLY for track use, I wouldn't have ended up with a C63

I'm planning to put some Toyo R888s on the second set. My instructor recommended them, they come in the right sizes and have very positive reviews online. Apparently I could expect as much as 30% extra grip. Porsche GT3s come with semis as standard, and they were really in another league to me, which didn't like at all. Probably the weight of the baby seat in the back of my C63 made a bg dfference though:D

I've found R888s some on rotationUK for less than £170 per tyre. Otherwise there's some used stuff at a tyre place near the Nordschleife that has some second hand rubber that might be more suitable, though I'll have to really pick through them to find something useable.

Hopefully I'l have some new boots ready for Goodwood at the end of next month anyway.

Generally, the whole thing was mental. Benchmarkng against the Porsche GT3s that most other people had, the car brakes really slowly due to all the weight and the road tyres. It's very much a case of slow-in, quick-out to minimise the understeer. Was in sport mode after the first session, and powersliding out of the first and second corners of the F1 circuit was brilliant! Didn't have the bottle to turn the traction control completely off though - will work towards that - I think the P&P course with MB will help a lot with that.

Otherwise my brakes took a real pounding. These were 45 minute stints though, and I think we'll be doing uch less at GW. Really recommend slow laps of the car park after stints on track to help cool the brakes - I did that and still needed new pads.:eek:

Anyway, best get on

See you soon mate:thumb:

Awesome stuff. I really should get to the Ring.

Also highly rate Toyo 888s. I had some on my MX-5 track car and they were beyond awesome. If I could justify the cost of a set for the CLK (somewhat more costly than they were on the MX-5 in 14" size!) I'd get some for my spare set of wheels.

Hello mate:thumb:

I'm going to look at and probablt buy a set of the 5 spoke 18"s from rentaracecar near the 'ring on Tuesday. Will do a couple of tourst laps in the 5:30-6:30 session as well. My instructor should be about in some ridiculously modified volvo and has promised me a passenger lap. I'll try and get some more 'photos up before I leave for the UK on Thursday next week.

Anyway, apparently rentaracecar had a C63 for about a day, then decded it was too expensive, heavy and hard on tyres to make a permanent track car. Sounds fair enough to me, if I was buying a car ONLY for track use, I wouldn't have ended up with a C63

I'm planning to put some Toyo R888s on the second set. My instructor recommended them, they come in the right sizes and have very positive reviews online. Apparently I could expect as much as 30% extra grip. Porsche GT3s come with semis as standard, and they were really in another league to me, which didn't like at all. Probably the weight of the baby seat in the back of my C63 made a bg dfference though:D

I've found R888s some on rotationUK for less than £170 per tyre. Otherwise there's some used stuff at a tyre place near the Nordschleife that has some second hand rubber that might be more suitable, though I'll have to really pick through them to find something useable.

Hopefully I'l have some new boots ready for Goodwood at the end of next month anyway.

Generally, the whole thing was mental. Benchmarkng against the Porsche GT3s that most other people had, the car brakes really slowly due to all the weight and the road tyres. It's very much a case of slow-in, quick-out to minimise the understeer. Was in sport mode after the first session, and powersliding out of the first and second corners of the F1 circuit was brilliant! Didn't have the bottle to turn the traction control completely off though - will work towards that - I think the P&P course with MB will help a lot with that.

Otherwise my brakes took a real pounding. These were 45 minute stints though, and I think we'll be doing uch less at GW. Really recommend slow laps of the car park after stints on track to help cool the brakes - I did that and still needed new pads.:eek:

Anyway, best get on

See you soon mate:thumb:

It will quite intresting to see how the experience at our Goodwood day fairs, against your current experiences. The sessions will certainly be alot shorter, aprox 15minutes, but remember its a very fast track. Whilst we are talking chalk and cheese, C63 -E55, I personally have got a lot quicker at GW at my lowly standard, from my first TD, the E55s big, and I have fried my brakes once on the last two occassions, and have been trying to adapt my limited driving ability to reduce this over heated brake sydrome, the second time it happened, the ECU shut down, a little scarey, I was counting the cost..££££££s, as I came back into the pits, 15 minutes later, cooled down, right as rain, back on circuit. Must say you boys seem to be doing an aweful lot of homework out there...! 5 weeks to go till Goodwood day !

Last edited:
5 weeks to go till Goodwood day !

Looking forward to GW big time! I'll bring my new windscreen mount for my camcorder:D

Want to get stickered up for Le Mans as well, so may even get that sorted in the same trip.:cool:

Unfortunately I'm ambitious, but not very imaginative, so if there are any suggestions for a black C63 at Le Mans I'm all ears:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom