C63 Transmission Judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebig1

Car
Mercedes C63
I guys,

Your thoughts on the below would be appreciated.

Ever since I purchased my C63 back in December, I have had judder from the transmission everytime I set off and slow down. Its from the wet clutch and is most obvious when in traffic, as you take your foot off the brake and let the car kreep, rather than accelerating.

Its been back to the dealer a couple of times, software checked if up to date etc.
Mercedes have requested information from the car so its back in all this week while the dealer extracts the data etc.
The dealer tech has told me "Some C63 have the judder, some dont" he called me today to let me know they have 4 C63 on site now including mine, two have the judder, two dont.

If Merceds come back with "Its within spec" or something like that, can I say well its not acceptable and ask for some sort of deal / compensation etc?

what do you think?

If Merceds come back with "Its within spec" or something like that, can I say well its not acceptable and ask for some sort of deal / compensation etc?
If the manufacturer comes back and says that "it's a characteristic of the car" (or words to that effect), my view is that your options are to get used to it, or sell the car. The chance of achieving any "compensation" as you put it would be approximately zero if they take that position. If you took the supplying dealer to court over it they would rely upon the manufacturer's statement that it was a characteristic of the car, and you would likely lose the case and end up further out of pocket.

If it's the same vibration that we discussed in one of your other threads on this topic, then I think you'd have an uphill battle to convince anyone that it's anything more than a minor irritation.

Sorry to sound negative, but you need to be realistic about this.

Hi,

Dont get me wrong, I am not think court or anything like that, just if asked for next service for free etc?

The judders enough for you to be concerned and mention it here, I would back it and look for one thats judder free as the judder could develop into something else later on.

All the other dealer comments are rubbish .

Dealer is actually spot on but don't ask me why some judder and some don't which is surprising given the AMG philosophy but of all the ones I've driven including in Germany the judder has been present in some

Mine still does judder but much less now since the software update. Currently in my opinion the car as is now is acceptable as long as it doesn't get any worse...

I can live with it, just as you say, not what you would expect from AMG thats all.

I am guessing its an issue with the wet cluch itself. if it was software, it would have been solved. I guess when it slips when the drive is first applied, its not slipping smoothly.

Hi Guys,

The dealer had herd back from Germany, they have told them to change the crankcase breather then retest. So they have ordered one and the car is staying with them. Any ides how the crankcase breather would cause the judder?

My car has been in the dealer 3 weeks now, missing my car :0(

Let us know how you get on when it you get it back.

Yep likewise. Is the crankcase breather really going to make a difference to the autobox?! What have they given you as a replacement car?

Updte, now 4 weeks at the dealer, car only moves on Mondays to test, data sent to Germany, then it sits there all week. Now have a A200 curtesy car.
Call today to say that they think, awaiting Germany to give go a head, wet clutch or valve body on transmission.
And the crank case breather was faulty, obviously not the issue with the transmission.
The tech said the test for the crankcase breather is to rev the car to 2000 rpm and with someone under the bonnet, next to the crank case breather, turn off the engine and it should hiss. Mine didnt but hissed from the dipstick when it was removed.

i think you should back the car and get a full refund you would be well within your rights to do so

There's a fault, you did the right thing and didn't stand for dealership Bo*****kS
"some do and some don't"
that maybe the case but its a fault if they do and needs fixing.

The scarey prt is they openly told me that most have the same issue, just most dont say anything or get fobed off. I guess being an engineer I am more sensative to faults and wont be fobed off lol. Comments off dealers of "we have 6 C63 on sight, 4 have the same fault and 2 dont" is worying.
Nearly every car brand I have delt with have a fault on the car thats well known that they suggest they know nothing about. BMW 30 L D engines suck in swirl flaps, I know of 200 engines that have gone pop costing £7K to fix. Subaru 2.5 STI pistons can not handle turbos, Audi FSI valves block due to injector in head and oil intake through manifold etc.

What did I suggest when we discussd this in Dcember?

Yes exactly! They said they have to try every other possability before they will do the clutch but I have told them at each point that I think its that from what you said.

What is the consensus on this juddering. Is this a ticking time bomb or actually nothing major to worry about and it won't be a long term reliability issue? This box is used on plenty of other AMGs and seems reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom