C63 Tyre Pressure warning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kamalpatel12448

Car
C63 (W204) and C240 (W202) - just not at the same time!
Hi folks, was on the motorway today and got tyre pressure loss warning! Dial all red and car driving just fine, and around 50mph, M25 so what can I say! Pulled over checked tyres/wheel and all looked okay. Later today return trip checked and driving same message again.

Two questions

1. How does pressure montoring work on the W204 C63?
2. Any thoughts on cause of alarms?

I have yet to check that I haven't picked up a nail, but assume that if had this morning my tyre would have been falt after standing for most of the day.

Thanks in advance.
Kamall

Not too up with Merc models, however do you have low profile or runflat tyres?? they can look OK even when very low on pressure.

If so, best to check your psi before driving again.

simon

The all red screen sounds like the system on my car.It works through measuring relative slip through the ESP system. If a tyre is at a lower pressure than the others ie it thinks it could be a going flat, then the ESP system will report it as a Red Screen. If you check each tyre pressure I bet one is lower than the others. If I set mine at 33 for the front and 34 for the rear but accidently put 35 in one tyre then the system will detect it. It is quite cool really. Let us know what your 4 tyre pressures are.

If you dont get an actual pressure readout of each tyre in the cluster display you have the indirect system which uses the ABS wheel sensor. Check and adjust your tyre pressures to the correct level and reset the system via the cluster. Your owners manual shows how to do it if you havent done it before.

reset the tyre pressure indicator with the current pressures unless you have a slow puncture

Update...

Checked all 4 tyre pressures. Set to 41psi per spec, and reset the message. One tyre was at 39 and others at 40. Will be watching now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It is a pretty naff system as it uses the ABS sensors to detect irregularities between wheels. My wifes Golf GTI had the same system, all 4 wheels were about 8 psi below recommended level but it never alerted me as all tyres were the same.

It is not a C63 specific system and is across most modern Mercs. Useful but not the best.

S

Last edited:
All,

Given the model of car and the brand you would expect a bit more, especially as lesser brands have been monitoring each wheel for many years. Since these cars have skinny tyres and big wheels they are very sensitive - therefore deserve, could say need, monitoring properly. Flip side is expense as things go wrong with sensors etc. Conclusion for me is nitrogen and regular checking is the way to go in the absence of each tyre pressure being monitored.

Thanks,
Kamal

Tyre pressure monitoring (with pressure sensors, or through ABS) is mandatory on cars with run-flat tyres, and optional otherwise.

I had mine (ABS-based) enabled by Alfie, enabling it used to be a £50 dealer-option on the W203.

As Simon_M said, Useful but not the best. On the plus side, it is a simple system and there are no expenses involved in in maintaining it.

Incidentally, there are after-market systems available with pressure sensors built into spacially-made valve caps, transmitting data wirelessly to a hand-held) or dash-mount) console. But I think is is mostly in use by people who take their cars for track says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom