C63 Update.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
Ok, as everyone knows I bought my 62 Plate C63 Saloon with 61k miles from a Nissan Dealership in early August. See below link for details:

Well iv had the report from Mercedes Benz in Warrington and they have found a number of issues such as:

1. Oil Leak from N/S Rocker Cover
2. All Exhaust Clamps corroded
3. Oil Leak from Transmission oil pipe
4. Advise gearbox oil and filter change and check sump for swarf (What does this mean)?

Cost of work including diagnostics just under £2500. Thankfully, I am not having to pay for any of this and the dealership I bought the car from are footing the bill and rightly so, I wasnt going to pay a penny towards having the car running as it ought to be.

If the gearbox is low on transmission fluid, then would this cause the jerky gear changes? Im hoping once all this has been done the car should drive like new.

Can I ask, did the car have full history? Does oil leaks not get picked up in mot advisories?

If the gearbox has never had a change of ATF it's well overdue. Swarf check is just to confirm all is OK and no metallic grit in the tranny.

Looks to me like the MB Dealer is milking this.

Corroded exhaust clamps - they all corrode.
Advise a transmission oil change - why not if you get the work and someone else pays.

A minor oil leak from an 8 year old car is probably not unexpected either. I strongly suspect that very MB Dealer would have a very different view of the faults if they had supplied the car and were footing the bill.

£2.5k is seriously taking the......

Yes low fluid could cause eratic gear changes.

If the gearbox has never had a change of ATF it's well overdue. Swarf check is just to confirm all is OK and no metallic grit in the tranny.

The gearbox has had a service about 20k miles ago...

I’m thinking that you guys are right. For what needs doing it seems awfully expensive but to be honest if it fixes the fault I don’t care either way

I bet the dealer didn’t know it was a warranty claim before quoting £2.5k...

Had an update from Mercedes of Warrington this morning, the parts are on order and are coming up from Milton Keynes so the work will commence on Monday. Once the work has been done they will road test the car to check the gearbox and how it operates. They also check for swarf. The service manager advised that in her many years of working at Mercedes, she is yet to see any metal particles in the gearbox and would be very suprised should anything show up. I explained that should the issue still be present, ill be leaving the car with them until they fix whatever is wrong with the car. Fingers crossed its simply a case of low transmission fluid as a result of a leak.....

Of course they could just check the gearbox fluid level but they wouldn't make as much money that way.

Exhaust clamps are not something I would expect would get changed but if they do fair enough.

Oil leak and the other leak yeah they need sorted.

The gearbox if serviced 20k ago did not need serviced, and the MCT box which will be fitted to this car is known to be jerky at low speeds.

The MB dealer is charging criminal prices!

£2500 to change a rocker cover gasket, do an ATF change, replace a pipe and a few exhaust clamps :wallbash:

For the OP I think it should be good. MB are trying to make the car like new and they're fleecing the supplying dealer.

But if you were to apply some common sense what needs doing is this:

1) Run a diagnostic.
2) If there's a leak from a transmission oil pipe fix that then top up the transmission oil.
3) Test drive now the transmission oil is the correct level.

The issue may even be a 'characteristic' of the transmission. Most autoboxes don't respond brilliantly to the accelerator being pumped or operated in a jerky manner.

Here is a breakdown of costs:

1. Oil Leak from N/S rocker cover £597.40
2. All Exhaust Clamps corroding £388.80
3. Oil Leaks from transmission oil pipe £369.60
4. Advise gearbox oil and filter change and check sump for swarf £1123.92

^ Outrageous prices. Lucky you aren't paying, but the dealing picking up the bill is being bent over.

^ Outrageous prices. Lucky you aren't paying, but the dealing picking up the bill is being bent over.

Im thinking the same here. How much work is actually being done for this sort of money?

^ Item #4 is the worst.
Its basically a 7g+ ATF and filter change plus a good look at the sump magnet for swarf.
£300 max at an indy, double the labour rate for main dealer and there is some good profit being made on that alone.

It's a double sump so if they are removing that to check it won't be cheap. Still seems expensive though. I had a leak on my sump (engine) it was removed and resealed, unusual, but I'm lucky like that.

I had an Transmission fluid change at Warrington main dealer was around £250.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom