C63 v Boxster S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Djcheshire

Car
E250
Hello

So, the time has come to sell my 2012 E250 coupe and get back into an exciting petrol.

Both my girlfriend and I have narrowed it down to a 2012-13 Boxster S or 2012-14 C63 Coupe.

Not a likely comparison I agree but both offer a snippet of what we are looking for. However having driven both at length I'm still confused.

Boxster S

Positives
We plan to tour around Europe and having previously done so in s a 987 S we've both agreed that the trip was more exciting in a convertible.

The other half and I live by the seaside and enjoy early morning blasts with the top down. The 987 really enhanced the way we spent our weekends.

Compared to a 987 the 981 is even quicker, better looking and offers a rewarding drive. I like spirited drives and the Porsche inspires confidence at speed.

Arguably better looks and higher quality interior.

Negatives
Not a great selection at £35-40k though residuals are higher so cheaper on a PCP.

Quick though will probably get hustled by a Focus or Seat at the lights. Not that 0-60 matter but the game has changed and is the Porsche out of its depth.

Poor spec with little or no examples sub £40k with PSE, so £2k needed to add.

C63

Positives
Noise. Power. Only car which has ever made me giggle when floored. The way it picks up speed is scary. On a extended test drive I couldn't quite believe the in gear performance.

Great spec with all the luxuries I have in my current E250

4 sears are useful and larger boot.

Negatives
Mpg, heard it's 220 per tank! Any real world examples?

The other half doesn't think it's particularly special to look at. She thinks it's a normal C class with a big engine. Does she have a point?

I didn't have a chance to push it on the test drive, how do they handle?

Do I only want it for the epic engine?

Anyone offer any other advice. I must have spent the past 2 weeks reading old threads and watching videos. I've been out in both for a good couple of hours and still can't decide.

Head says Porsche, heart C63!

...as well as CLK55/63 Soft Top and SL55/600/63? Latter have leather dash and feel pretty special.

I am with Alx and Cousy Sl all the way only negative is again the fuel bill but you can't have it all...

No comparison, C63 not in the same league as a Boxster S, head every time if you can live with only 2 seats, Boxster will easily clear 30 mpg on a run. What about a Cayman (Boxster with a lid)?

Well I will be cat amongst the pigeons - Boxster S. 981 is beautiful, last of the six cylinder Boxsters too!

220 miles per tank in the C63 is a little optimistic - I ran one for 3 years and enjoyed every minute of it. Also ran a Boxster for 2, from what you have said about the pluses of the Boxster, that is the car for you and especially the GF. Happy GF = Happy BF.

S

flango said:
No comparison, C63 not in the same league as a Boxster S, head every time if you can live with only 2 seats, Boxster will easily clear 30 mpg on a run. What about a Cayman (Boxster with a lid)?

There obviously is a comparison hence why after driving/researching both the op still cannot decide.
The very fact a heavy c class capable of transporting four adults plus enough room for luggage etc is cutting the mustard against a lighter decent two seater sports car speaks volumes.
My vote goes to the c63 coupe as an all rounder it's hard to beat a point proven by the very fact the op still cannot decide between the two, throw kids/ the need for four seats in to the mix and it's a no brainer.
The c63 handles fine unless you track your car regular which would obviously favour the porker.
A simple re map will see the c63 at approx 530bhp.
Did i mention noise.......
Epic n/a 6.2 v8.....
Noise.......

If you are local to Bluewater Kent and fancy a good nosey around a c63 coupe your most welcome.

Ps soft tops are strictly for hairdressers :0)))))

There obviously is a comparison hence why after driving/researching both the op still cannot decide.
The very fact a heavy c class capable of transporting four adults plus enough room for luggage etc is cutting the mustard against a lighter decent two seater sports car speaks volumes.
My vote goes to the c63 coupe as an all rounder it's hard to beat a point proven by the very fact the op still cannot decide between the two, throw kids/ the need for four seats in to the mix and it's a no brainer.
The c63 handles fine unless you track your car regular which would obviously favour the porker.
Epic n/a 6.2 v8.....
Noise.......

If you are local to Bluewater Kent and fancy a good nosey around a c63 coupe your most welcome.

ouch hairdresser

Difficult to compare but from reading it you are preferring the Boxster! If it were me I would go for the Boxster (had a C63 saloon recently). I agree with your missus that the coupe doesn't look very special and only is because of the engine / noise and living by the seaside / touring Europe a convertible would be the only way! A friend is currently touring Europe with his missus in his 911 Turbo and said the only thing is missing is a roof down button! (he has a hard top)

The later SL shape would be an option though, the newer 2013+ Sl350 / SL500 look very special!

Epic n/a 6.2 v8.....
Noise.......

Hairdresser's ill have to speak to you @ bluewater next meet. ;)

Tony.

I've been driving the 718S on track recently. I love the previous Boxsters, but this one is a bit more challenging.

The chassis having GT4 / 991 Turbo parts, is just stunning. Such great front end grip for a road based model. It's also very quick, some German mags have timed it to 13.7 to 200kph which isn't far from a stock C63.

But the sound, oh dear. It sounds like a '70s Goldwing with a farty pipe. Just dull. Also the electric steering has absolutely zero feel, just like the 991.2 C2S.

These things make it a backward step for me. Still a great car, just not one with long term appeal for me.

This comes down to if you want a sports car or a touring GT car.

If you want to drive around Europe then you won't beat an SL, it'll be powerful and comfortable and soak the miles up as a coupe or a convertible. If you want to take it on a track it'll be heavy and won't handle as you hoped. The boot is surprisingly big, I can get my wife's wheelchair in it and still put the roof down.

If you want a sports car then the C63 or the Boxster are the way to go.

I can recommend the R231 SL400, it's fast, faster than previous generation SL500's.

I get 400miles + on a 75 litre tank (I have the larger capacity one fitted) and the fit and finish are a step above the other cars you're looking at due to it's price point new.

low £40K gets you into a late model SL400 with full manufacturers warranty. The 400 really is a big step up from the 350.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...searchad=new,nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=3

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, still on the fence at the minute!

I'm not a fan of the SL/SLK as they look a little too big for my needs. The Boxster and C63 in comparison offer a smaller profile.

It's a hard one. If I got the Box I'd always think I missed out on that epic 6.2l engine and perhaps be wanting more power. There's little I can do in this case.

Whereas if I got the C63 I'd perhaps be hankering for the ability to remove the roof on sunny days and European trips.

I have an 24hr drive in the Boxster tomorrow and I'm out in the Mercedes on Tues. The mrs hasn't seen a C63 yet nor been in one. Perhaps when she does she can agree it's epic or categorically state she doesn't want one. Might make my life easier!

If you are looking up to 40k, try the 718 non-S model. It's easily as fast as the old S model, in fact quicker in most circumstances.

It's very close to the S now and by Porsche's own slides, gained the most from the recent revision. I drove them back to back and you don't miss the extra power. Did I say that??

If you are sensible with the options, you can have a new Boxster with Met paint, upgraded wheels and Nav for about 43k.

The Cayman is a bit cheaper and can be had on lease now. This is an old deal, probably cheaper ones now:

New Cayman 718 2.0 Coupe Manual, Solid
3+23, 10k, non maintenance at £499 + VAT pm

Not quite a like for like comparison but I have a C55 and a modded 986 Boxster S. Sure, in terms of outright power, comfort, the C55 takes it. But, I have used my Boxster for the last 4 years to do 2.5k miles Euro trips. Don't forget it has 2 boots so you can get a reasonable amount of stuff in. In terms of a car to hustle and actually really drive then the Boxster wins hands down for me. Its much more a real sportscar than an AMG saloon. Don't get me wrong, cars like C55 and C63 are very capable but depending on what you like driving style wise then the Boxster is a whole lot more focussed. Through the Alps or Pyrenees etc the Boxster is just a much more enjoyable experience.

In fact for 40k you could easily get a C63 and a Boxster.

Rightly or wrongly, one of the big factors for me in buying these types of cars is the sound of them and the C63 is an (in)famously brutal sounding car, and every time you stamp on the pedal you'll be grinning ear-to-ear.

If I was fixated on the convertible option, I'd try and stretch to a Maserati Grancabrio; truly epic sound with 450bhp.

If you get a Boxster S with a half decent sports exhaust option then they sound very good too.

A 981 with PSE sounds pretty fruity, not on the same level as the C63 but it doesn't disappoint.

I need to find a relatively new car so I can finance it, so looking at 2012 onwards. Halifax now do PCP deals and have offered a cracking deal, makes sense not to tie up my cash in an expensive car.

I wouldn't want a silver, black or white C63 either so that limits my choices. It has to have the 19" wheels too.

Saying that, there isn't much choice for sub £40k 981's either. Porsche Kendal did let me drive a new Boxster and Boxster S. Whilst it's a much better car, better quality interior, sharper turn in and bags of torque I much prefer the straight 6 engine. Shame as the new deals are tempting, was quoted £470 per month inc VAT on a base model with met paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom