C63 vs E92 M3 DCT verdict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Revvd

Car
C63 Coupe
Finally collected my 2013 C63 coupe on Saturday. The bar was set pretty high by the M3 I had previously.. but this has seriously raised the bar overall.

The power delivery is far more useable without having to keep it above 5000rpm all the time like the M3.

The gearbox isn't better or worse... it's different. It wins over the M3 for everyday driving.. a lot smoother, nowhere near as jerky, and always seems to know what gear it's supposed to be in. However when really giving it some stick, that's when the M3 takes the crown. Changes happen a lot faster and crisper (possibly due to having the M3 GTS gearbox software on my one)

The interior finish is night and day between them. The M3 looked very dated and bland compared to the C63, with it's piano black trim, red leather and little aluminium trims everywhere. Even the colour screen in the speedo really adds to the quality.

Toys and gadgets are another place the C63 absolutely smashes it - M3 had nothing you'd expect on a top of the range 3 series. The C63 has EVERYTHING! (whether or not it all comes as standard, or the first owner of mine just ticked every box, i'm not sure)

The sound - We all know what the result here is going to be..

Overall, in my opinion the AMG smashes the M pretty much everywhere you'd want it to for a daily driver. When it comes to fast road/track though.. the M is a different league.

The gearbox isn't better or worse... it's different. It wins over the M3 for everyday driving.. a lot smoother, nowhere near as jerky, and always seems to know what gear it's supposed to be in. However when really giving it some stick, that's when the M3 takes the crown.

<snip >

Overall, in my opinion the AMG smashes the M pretty much everywhere you'd want it to for a daily driver. When it comes to fast road/track though.. the M is a different league.
Thanks for the review / comparison.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding comparing AMG's and BMW M-cars in general: If you want a fun car with monster performance that you can use on the road as a daily driver then AMG has it; if you want a trackday weapon, the BMW is the better bet.

Thought it may help someone torn between the two. It's really down to what you want from a car. Both fantastic cars though.
I suppose if they were weapons, the M3 would be a sniper rifle and the C63 is a grenade launcher.

My 2008 M3's gearbox is as smooth as anything everywhere, it has the GTS software also.

The M3 needs revving a lot to make it go, it's very susceptible to the newer breed of TD hot hatches sneaking up on it for an impromptu roll-on. By the time you've changed down 5 gears they're way up the road lol.

My 2008 M3's gearbox is as smooth as anything everywhere, it has the GTS software also.

The M3 needs revving a lot to make it go, it's very susceptible to the newer breed of TD hot hatches sneaking up on it for an impromptu roll-on. By the time you've changed down 5 gears they're way up the road lol.

Exactly that lol. To be fair, my gearbox was the reason I got rid of the car.. it died. But driven others and still not Merc levels of smooth. Even worse on a cold start. Kangarooing out of junctions if you press the pedal slightly wrong and end up looking like a someone on their first driving lesson in a manual.

That's usually when I've accidentally pressed the M button, accidentally turned the traction off, and accidentally floored it out of a junction ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom