C63 W204 - Cracked Manifold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Naz11

Car
C63 AMG 125 Edition + LSD & GL63
Hi All,

Just wanted to share, a couple of weeks ago I started to notice that when at idle I could feel a slight vibration and sometimes I could see the rev counter just flutter slightly. Also when opening the bonnet I could hear what sounded like a slight ticking sound which I did not have in any of my 2 previous C63s. The car is still under warranty so I decided to take it into MB Slough and they diagnosed that there is a crack in the inlet manifold which will be repaired under the warranty (phew) but the total bill has come to a whopping ~£5k. How many owners here have been unfortunate enough to have gone through this painful experience? I have to wait another 2 weeks For the part to arrive from Germany before I can get the car back.

Regards
Naz

Ouch ! ££ . I suspect anyone who has this problem without a warranty would just get it welded. Ask them if you can have the old manifold back, get it repaired and stick it on Ebay.

Ouch ! ££ . I suspect anyone who has this problem without a warranty would just get it welded. Ask them if you can have the old manifold back, get it repaired and stick it on Ebay.

That's a good point, I will ask and request to have it!

Not a problem to wqeld once its off the car ,, but it is the cost of manifold removal .

That is indeed correct, now not sure how accurate this is but MB mentioned it was 6hrs to remove and 6hrs to put back

That's nonsense.

Search Tasos Moschatos on YouTube to see what's involved but it's a hell of a lot less than six hours each way!

6 hours each way does seem a bit excessive as it sits on the top of the engine in the middle of the V, but I have not done the job before. BlackC55 might be along soon, he will know.

That's nonsense.

Search Tasos Moschatos on YouTube to see what's involved but it's a hell of a lot less than six hours each way!

It did seem excessive to me, but as John N has mentioned i'm not paying :)

That's a good point, I will ask and request to have it!
If the car is quite new Germany might want the cracked part back to analyse it, unlikely as they do not make N/A V8 engines anymore. if not I doubt it will get as far as the scrap bin before being 'spirited away' by one of the mechanics.

From previous experience MB will keep all old parts that are replaced under warranty.

By chance do you have a video of how the car was behaving prior to being diagnosed?

By chance do you have a video of how the car was behaving prior to being diagnosed?

Unfortunately I do not, I tried to do a video of the ticking noise but you could not hear it. From the cabin perspective when parked at the lights you would notice a slight irregular idle and when you looked at the rev needle you could notice it moving. It wasn't a huge vibration but enough to make me notice that I had not experienced this in my 2 previous AMG's.

Reactions: AMV
Unfortunately I do not, I tried to do a video of the ticking noise but you could not hear it. From the cabin perspective when parked at the lights you would notice a slight irregular idle and when you looked at the rev needle you could notice it moving. It wasn't a huge vibration but enough to make me notice that I had not experienced this in my 2 previous AMG's.

Was the irregular idle always present or was it appearing every now and then? Just curious.

Was the irregular idle always present or was it appearing every now and then? Just curious.

every now and again.....it was more noticeable when the engine was hot......so if I had gone for a spirited drive and then at the lights it was noticeable, well to me anyway maybe not the passenger as the vibration would travel through the pedals.

Reactions: AMV
Hope you get your car back swiftly!

I would be stunned if the dealer allowed you to keep the part if replaced under warranty. Not least because expensive warranty repairs might require inspection of removed parts later - that used to be the car if not now.

If you’re paying the repair then you would be entitled to retain it.

Hi All,

Apologies forgot to update, first of all the car is back and the idle vibration is gone and the ticking noise too. The car seems to be more responsive now but this could also be that I haven’t driven it in almost 4 weeks but definitely more smoother. Bobby was right they did not give me the old manifold due to extended warranty paying for the work.

All in all I am very happy with the outcome.

Naz

Hi All,

Apologies forgot to update, first of all the car is back and the idle vibration is gone and the ticking noise too. The car seems to be more responsive now but this could also be that I haven’t driven it in almost 4 weeks but definitely more smoother. Bobby was right they did not give me the old manifold due to extended warranty paying for the work.

All in all I am very happy with the outcome.

Naz
Glad it’s sorted Naz 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom