C63 (W204) in manual, staying in 2nd when you come to a halt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bazzabear

Car
2013 C63 estate
Is there a way of making the car do this? Or does it do it automatically under certain circumstances?

99% of the time, if the speed drops below about 10mph, the car will change down to 1st automatically, but I'm sure I have seen it remain in 2nd on a couple of occasions. Even when coming to a complete halt.

Perhaps something to do with outside temperature, it judges you might want to set off in 2nd? Or gearbox / engine temp?

depends on your driving behaviour, and when you shift gears. if you want to you can reset. also depends on what mode you are in comfort, sport
or sports plus or manual.

Don't know about the C63, but if you put an E55 in comfort it will pull away in 2nd.
Not tried it lately as mine stays in Sport:devil:

Our R172 SLK55 also goes into 1st gear at a standstill in Sport and Manual and at times is quite annoying. As you slow to a gentle stop, there's a noticeable shunt as it drops into an unnecessarily low gear. Given the choice, I'd have it go no lower that 2nd unless I pull the left paddle, just in case I was after a faster launch. Might be something to ask the likes of DMS or similarly knowledgeable TCU ticklers?

do you have the car in m mode?

As said above if the box is in comfort (C) it will not drop down to 1st. This is useful in stop/start where it can become annoying to constantly drop into 1st.

I'm only talking about manual mode. On very rare occasions it will stay in 2nd in manual mode when you stop, or nearly stop. I was wondering if anyone knew what factor is causing it to decide to do that.

I am semi-convinced it's down to temperature.

I'm only talking about manual mode. On very rare occasions it will stay in 2nd in manual mode when you stop, or nearly stop. I was wondering if anyone knew what factor is causing it to decide to do that.

I am semi-convinced it's down to temperature.

I've found the same with mine. When it's been really cold overnight regardless of the mode selected (C, S, S+ or M) it will default to pulling away in 2nd for the first 5-10mins. Once up to temperature it drops into 1st in S, S+ & M as usual. You can override with the paddle but it certainly seems to be temperature related to me...

I find the s mode in my 55k to responsive c mode I find perfect for pulling away especially this weather.

M mode in mine drops to 1St every time bellow a certain rpm. The technology on your gearbox is much newer than the 55K but the symptoms you describe your box doing sound quite different to how mine acts in m mode. Could well be a temperature system to aid the gear box. S mode is only for smoking some BMW dudes lol.

I paid more attention to it this morning - it definitely was happy to not drop to 1st for the first few minutes of my journey - and then after that it refused to not drop down.

Outside temperature didn't change, so I think it must be something about the gearbox or engine oil temperature.

This is to do with the oil temp & gearbox temp, when your car is cold in Manual, it will not drop into 1st. After around 5mins of driving and noticing my oil temp reaching around 50+ degrees, it selects 1st.

Or you can just pull the downshift paddle to make it engage 1st.

This is to do with the oil temp & gearbox temp, when your car is cold in Manual, it will not drop into 1st. After around 5mins of driving and noticing my oil temp reaching around 50+ degrees, it selects 1st.

Or you can just pull the downshift paddle to make it engage 1st.

I've never pulled away from a standstill in Manual yet, have always used auto of some description, must give it a try

My C55 (5g) is almost always driven in 'C' and as a result never goes into 1st gear until I approach my driveway , then I stop , select 1st with the paddle and let the car creep onto the drive without having to touch the throttle as I manoeuvre it. That way the car doesn't jerk on the throttle as it tries to step over the little kerb bit between the solid drive and gravel bit I have to park on.

I see on here a lot of people drive in 'S' mode , I find my car takes off too 'smartly' (you know what I mean) at roundabouts and traffic lights and changes up almost immediately making for a jerky ride if I leave it in 'S' 4 gears are enough when tootling about in my opinion , so it stays in 'C' .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom