C63 W204....more questions :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
My 2012 C63 Saloon has 61k miles....people know I bought the car in July this year. I had some worries over the gearbox and a jerkiness to it. Long story short, it went into Mercedes of Warrington and they changed a number of gaskets on the car as it had a number of oil leaks and the ATF was changed. Bill came to £2500...thankfully the dealership I bought the car covered the bill. When I collected the car, apparently it had been test driven and everything 'appeared fine'.

Literally a day after collecting the car after Mercedes had the car for a month (yes I know) I came down with Covid and the car was sat for two weeks. However, Iv covered approximately 500 miles since collecting the car and something still isnt right. When the car is cold and getting to temperature, all seems fine and changes are smooth. However, once the car is warm and has been running for a while, the stutter becomes more noticeable especially from 1st to 2nd in Sport or 2nd to 3rd in Comfort. For example, driving at low speeds around a car park or pulling out of a side road, the car sometimes jerks back and too as if it doesnt know what gear it ought to be in. If you are really easy on the gas, all seems ok but any sort of force on the accelerator then it will surge, the revs build until it settles in the correct gear.

Iv also noticed a bit of a grinding noise if I pull out of a side road with the steering wheel turned and the surge back and forth when you press the accelerator. If you floor the car then all is well.

Another point to add, when I am driving nice and easily and look at the rev counter, the needle bounces ever so slightly and its not super smooth.

Im booking the car into a well respected Independent in Warrington to get them to give the car a once over. Its taking away any real fun with the car at the moment as I know something isn't quite right. Could this be diff related? Could the brakes be binding as when I brake you can hear a grumbling noise?

My 2012 C63 Saloon has 61k miles....people know I bought the car in July this year. I had some worries over the gearbox and a jerkiness to it. Long story short, it went into Mercedes of Warrington and they changed a number of gaskets on the car as it had a number of oil leaks and the ATF was changed. Bill came to £2500...thankfully the dealership I bought the car covered the bill. When I collected the car, apparently it had been test driven and everything 'appeared fine'.

Literally a day after collecting the car after Mercedes had the car for a month (yes I know) I came down with Covid and the car was sat for two weeks. However, Iv covered approximately 500 miles since collecting the car and something still isnt right. When the car is cold and getting to temperature, all seems fine and changes are smooth. However, once the car is warm and has been running for a while, the stutter becomes more noticeable especially from 1st to 2nd in Sport or 2nd to 3rd in Comfort. For example, driving at low speeds around a car park or pulling out of a side road, the car sometimes jerks back and too as if it doesnt know what gear it ought to be in. If you are really easy on the gas, all seems ok but any sort of force on the accelerator then it will surge, the revs build until it settles in the correct gear.

Iv also noticed a bit of a grinding noise if I pull out of a side road with the steering wheel turned and the surge back and forth when you press the accelerator. If you floor the car then all is well.

Another point to add, when I am driving nice and easily and look at the rev counter, the needle bounces ever so slightly and its not super smooth.

Im booking the car into a well respected Independent in Warrington to get them to give the car a once over. Its taking away any real fun with the car at the moment as I know something isn't quite right. Could this be diff related? Could the brakes be binding as when I brake you can hear a grumbling noise?

Have you reset the gearbox? I would do that first!

Stuttering suggests a fuel or spark issue causing a misfire?

I know this doesn’t help your issues but I would be getting rid of it for of one of the two following reasons;

1. Because you’ve had a very poor start to your ownership you’re now hearing and feeling every little nuance and have - quite understandably- developed a bit of paranoia which will ruin your enjoyment of the car.

2. The car actually really is a lemon and it’s going to be one thing after another with it and even tiny little issues will come to drive you insane.

I did try that but I’ll give it another go. Does it actually make a real difference?
It doesn’t reset anything, it fools the car into thinking that you’ve been accelerating hard for a sustained period and sharpens it’s responses accordingly.

You can achieve the same result from accelerating at full throttle from rest. Either way, when full throttle inputs stop the car will realise and relax again.

Sounds like clutch pack to me. Hopefully the Indie will be able to diagnose it.

Sounds like you may have an adaption issue with the wet clutch.
Does it judder or is it just a bit harsh when it engages ?
All the issues I've encountered with this setup. I have always manage to make the shifts better but not 100% due to the setup of a wet clutch it will always be a more sportier feel to the drive than a conventional torque converter set up. Few things to follow / check

Has the oil and filter been replaced . ?
Is the oil level correct ?
Maybe worth a look at the wet clutch solenoid for debris in the filter/ replacement of the solenoid and a complete re-teach.
Shifts can be affected if there is unmetered air in the engine eg I take manifold gaskets leaking / air filters damaged or blocked

Just a few ideas to try but if you like the car I'd take the time to get it to the point you are happy with it and enjoy it

Regards

Sounds like you may have an adaption issue with the wet clutch.
Does it judder or is it just a bit harsh when it engages ?
All the issues I've encountered with this setup. I have always manage to make the shifts better but not 100% due to the setup of a wet clutch it will always be a more sportier feel to the drive than a conventional torque converter set up. Few things to follow / check

Has the oil and filter been replaced . ?
Is the oil level correct ?
Maybe worth a look at the wet clutch solenoid for debris in the filter/ replacement of the solenoid and a complete re-teach.
Shifts can be affected if there is unmetered air in the engine eg I take manifold gaskets leaking / air filters damaged or blocked

Just a few ideas to try but if you like the car I'd take the time to get it to the point you are happy with it and enjoy it

Regards

My thoughts are that it isnt the gearbox thats at fault. More like driveshaft, Diff maybe....

Another thought, when I use the paddles from standing start, any stutter between gears seems to disappear?

Have you drained the rear diff oil and checked for debris ??

Have you drained the rear diff oil and checked for debris ??

It had an ATF change a few weeks ago. In Sports mode the jerkiness is pretty much non existant....Its more noticeable pulling out of side roads, like a rumble. Plus when braking it sounds like the discs are shot even though Mercedes only a few weeks back said plenty of life left in them...

It had an ATF change a few weeks ago. In Sports mode the jerkiness is pretty much non existant....Its more noticeable pulling out of side roads, like a rumble. Plus when braking it sounds like the discs are shot even though Mercedes only a few weeks back said plenty of life left in them...
Hi

Doesn't sound like a rear diff issue as would be there in either transmission mode. Noise when braking maybe down to the pads and discs. The pads have been modified several times for noises etc. But back to the jerking it sounds more like the wet clutch adaption. From cold find a nice straight road or area where u can do the following
Place in d and allow the car to creep forward for approx 150 yards then stop and carry this out several times. This way the clutch re learns the biting point. This takes approx 15 to 20 mins to complete and try this for all transmission modes and see how u go

Hi

Doesn't sound like a rear diff issue as would be there in either transmission mode. Noise when braking maybe down to the pads and discs. The pads have been modified several times for noises etc. But back to the jerking it sounds more like the wet clutch adaption. From cold find a nice straight road or area where u can do the following
Place in d and allow the car to creep forward for approx 150 yards then stop and carry this out several times. This way the clutch re learns the biting point. This takes approx 15 to 20 mins to complete and try this for all transmission modes and see how u go
Amazing knowledge if this solves it, but creeping along for 150 yards is a long way!

Recently had a similar problem with my 55 ended up having the valvebody and conductor plate renewed. If your on a 7g transmission downchanges are always a little harsh particularly on the lower gears, and up changes under vigorous acceleration equally so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom