C63 W204 Oil Leak with smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shilldog

Car
C63 W204
My 2012 C63 has developed an oil leak recently, and when I took it into a garage for an MOT and they said its dripping directly onto the catalytic converter.

It's a small but steady drip, I originally thought it was coming from the valve cover gasket, but if it's dripping onto the cat then maybe not?

Theres no sign of oil on my driveway so maybe this only happens when the enigne is running..

Any ideas where the leak could be coming from?

I have it booked in for repair but its not for another two weeks.

How's the engine idling, is it rough? Do you have smoke on start up that clears off / are you getting random moments of smoke bellowing out the exhaust?

It sounds fine when idling.

You can smell the burnt oil from outside the car after a short drive. I've had a few "spirited" drives in it and did notice smoke coming from the Left-hand side of the bonnet.

Someone also pulled over next to me and told me there was smoke coming out the back of the car.

With normal driving, there is no noticeable smoke, just the smell of burnt oil.

Im getting something similar with my 2012 c63 no issues idling or smoke out the back just a slight smell of oil ive had the air box off and got my hand down there and ive just booked it in for investigation but probably valve cover what annoys me though its just had a b service with no issues whatsoever i dont think theres anything else around there it could be 😔

Just to add no smell on recent mot i took it out yesterday and after a spirited drive opened the bonnet at the correct time just to catch a small puff of smoke about halfway along the valve cover ill keep you updated

It sounds fine when idling.

You can smell the burnt oil from outside the car after a short drive. I've had a few "spirited" drives in it and did notice smoke coming from the Left-hand side of the bonnet.

Someone also pulled over next to me and told me there was smoke coming out the back of the car.

With normal driving, there is no noticeable smoke, just the smell of burnt oil.
What does it idle at? I had dramas with my M156 and oil being burned, it was the PCV which was borked and oil was making its way through the inlet to be burnt off...

My idle was smooth but didn't sit around the 600rpm mark, but rather anywhere from 800-1100rpm!

Changed the valve myself and all problems went away, so I was wondering if that could be your issue as it's common to M156.

Just an update on the leak it is the cam cover gasket or its cracked not sure until its removed apparently the plastic gets brital from the heat why they changed them from aluminium ill never know

I have exactly the same on my 2014 23000 miles. I have a platinum warranty so hoping it’s all good! Goes in for inspection on the 22nd! Not fun sitting at the lights looking like your engines on fire 🤦🏼‍♂️ Going to ask the tech to replace both sides while it’s there!

I have exactly the same on my 2014 23000 miles. I have a platinum warranty so hoping it’s all good! Goes in for inspection on the 22nd! Not fun sitting at the lights looking like your engines on fire 🤦🏼‍♂️ Going to ask the tech to replace both sides while it’s

I have exactly the same on my 2014 23000 miles. I have a platinum warranty so hoping it’s all good! Goes in for inspection on the 22nd! Not fun sitting at the lights looking like your engines on fire 🤦🏼‍♂️ Going to ask the tech to replace both sides while it’s there!
Probably won't unless you kick up a fuss as only 1 is leaking ive got to wait till the 19th Nov for mine glad its only a weekend car

Probably won't unless you kick up a fuss as only 1 is leaking ive got to wait till the 19th Nov for mine glad its only a weekend car
Let’s see what the mechanic thinks as I’m sure the more work for him the better via the warranty CO. I’m sure he knows how to push it haha. Pain in the ass as it’s an easy fix but no point in me doing it when there is 3 years warranty paid for.

Totally agree driver's side easy but not the passenger side so rater than loose a few knuckles let them do it 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom