C63 W205 Buyers guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking to buy a second hand 2015 or 2016. Ideally no more than 30000 miles on it. Either retailer or private sale as I plan to spend at least a few months to read up / test drive so I expect to be knowledgeable enough to identify a good vs bad private deal.

Regarding the exhaust -- Doesn't really matter, if it comes with standard I might mount a Akrapovic or similar.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll most certainly read through the brochure and the options list to get an idea of what I might want. I will certainly go to test drive it. For those of you who own the car, please don't hesitate to share more feedback on your experiences with it.

I'm predominantly planning to use it for primarily weekend and vacation trips, but will also use it as a day-to-day family car even if I don't plan to drive to work.

Initial feedback having driven over 2000 miles in it since I've had it (drove to Stelvio Pass and back!):

- so much fun
- the sound is amazing, never gets old
- 26MPG was a lot higher than expected (although I am aware I did a tonne of motorway miles)
- fuel tank seems small (I think around 60 litres) but my only real comparison is to my R230 SL500 which I think was 80 litres
- cabin noise/road noise is quite bad, fine if you're listening to music through the Burmester system or if the windows are down so you can hear the exhaust, but if you're hoping for a quiet drive while having a conversation, you have to speak quite loudly
- the seats are way comfier than I expected... in my SL I had lower back pain after 2 hours of driving so would have to break up the journey more, but in the C63 I've done 3.5 hour runs without any issues at all
- noticing that the alloys on the rear wheels are getting dusty at a much quicker rate to the fronts, so sometimes the front alloys look nice and black and the back ones have a layer of reddish/brown over the top of them after a long drive

Let me know if you have any specific questions though and I can try to opine more.

Initial feedback having driven over 2000 miles in it since I've had it (drove to Stelvio Pass and back!):

- so much fun
- the sound is amazing, never gets old
- 26MPG was a lot higher than expected (although I am aware I did a tonne of motorway miles)
- fuel tank seems small (I think around 60 litres) but my only real comparison is to my R230 SL500 which I think was 80 litres
- cabin noise/road noise is quite bad, fine if you're listening to music through the Burmester system or if the windows are down so you can hear the exhaust, but if you're hoping for a quiet drive while having a conversation, you have to speak quite loudly
- the seats are way comfier than I expected... in my SL I had lower back pain after 2 hours of driving so would have to break up the journey more, but in the C63 I've done 3.5 hour runs without any issues at all
- noticing that the alloys on the rear wheels are getting dusty at a much quicker rate to the fronts, so sometimes the front alloys look nice and black and the back ones have a layer of reddish/brown over the top of them after a long drive

Let me know if you have any specific questions though and I can try to opine more.

Regarding the cabin noise, what size of rims are you sporting?

And I'm pretty sure mines coming with the AMG Performance Exhaust with centre console button as standard equipment? No where on the online config can you add it to the C63S?

And I'm pretty sure mines coming with the AMG Performance Exhaust with centre console button as standard equipment? No where on the online config can you add it to the C63S?

It is standard ,I'm Collecting my c63s coupe on 1st September , people get confused because in the online configurator it says 1k but if you Check the official brochures it's a black dot ( standard ).

I also double checked with JBD on here who is the sales guy I got the car from and he confirmed its standard!

The 2017 C63s Coupe has the performance exhaust as standard but the saloon doesn't and it is £1,000, it is the very last item on the configurator.

The 2017 C63s Coupe has the performance exhaust as standard but the saloon doesn't and it is £1,000, it is the very last item on the configurator.

Ah - that makes sense - I never looked at the saloon only coupes .

I've had both 65 plate S saloon and now a 66 S coupe and yes, I had to pay a grand for the exhaust on my saloon but of course standard on coupe. I also didn't spec premium pack on my saloon as I didn't want the sunroof but that meant I was left with the standard stereo which was very poor after HK in my 507. As the coupe edition 1 comes with premium pack standard and of course the upgraded stereo, sounds good - also like keyless go, so wouldn't do without Premium pack again.

360 camera is the most must have option for the price imo. Really hard to see out the back on these cars.

Overall coupe is a much better drive than saloon due to the revised rear suspension setup. One of the reasons I swapped was the rock hard rear suspension on my saloon (plus looks).

I traded my C63 W204 PPP Coupe in 2 weeks ago for a 17 plate C63 W205 Coupe with 4K on the clock. Had work down south and did 500 miles in 2days and what a awesome car it is. I would recommend if anyone is considering having one. And go for the Coupe

Went a saw JBD for my test drive on Saturday and ended up walking away having ordered a fully loaded C63S Coupe in Designo Selenite with black alloys. Here's the final product:

https://configurator.mercedes-benz.c...aimpcoveralluk

James was excellent throughout and the test drive was epic. That noise, that speed, I was sold before we even left the forecourt! Did me a solid deal too.

I did wonder how anyone drives the C63S and doesn't buy one. The car is incredible.

Now the long wait until March 1st....CANNOT WAIT!!! :thumb:

Quick question on the Diffs in the C63 and C63s. C63s has loads of different settings; I can't see anywhere what settings you get on the C63 mechanical Diff; is it just traction on or off or are there various levels of traction? I'm finally selling my e46 M3 and looking at getting a W205 C63 Wagon :)

Are you sure the performance exhaust is standard it shows as a £1k option for both c63 models.
It is now wasn't before.

Quick question on the Diffs in the C63 and C63s. C63s has loads of different settings; I can't see anywhere what settings you get on the C63 mechanical Diff; is it just traction on or off or are there various levels of traction? I'm finally selling my e46 M3 and looking at getting a W205 C63 Wagon :)
The non-S model has a regular old fashioned plate type lsd, made by Drexler I believe. The traction control on this model has 3 modes, on, off, and sport handling mode. A bit of a halfway house, very similar to the M track mode on E46 M3 CS and CSL models. Fwiw I prefer the old fashioned diff. It behaves in a slightly more predictable way than the electronic affair on the S model.

Premium pack, performance exhaust, 360 degree camera, LED Intelligent Light System, pano roof, distronic and Burmester would be the must haves for me now.
On the w205, these options are all in the premium plus pack. Premium pack doesn't have much of the good stuff. The adaptive high beam assist plus is pretty impressive. Premium Plus for me is an absolute must have.

Distronic of course is part of driving assistance.

If its the facelift it must be an S, to get track pace and the AMG drive unit with the 9 way traction control. The steering wheel buttons are the ones I use the most.

If buying, check for the 2000 mile diff service. Check front rads as they get peppered with stones and fill with leaves, some FL have the guards fitted to the rads. Rear brakes get more of a beating with the TC and the performance seats can get bolster wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom