C63 W205 uneven front tyre wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alc63amg

Car
C63 W205
Hi hope you’re all enjoying you’re AMG’s. my C63 W205 went in for a service last month and one of the from tyres was worn done to the canvas/thread on the inside, so had to get two new front tyres.

It’s in for alignment at the dealer today but the service rep said it’s common for AMG’s to have excessive wear on the tyres ! I had to bit my tongue a little bit when he said that.

Has anybody else experienced excessive uneven front tyre wear and get it fixed ?

There's a lot of chat about it on various forums. Some say it's an aggressive suspension set-up for optimum handling. Doesn't sound right for a road car and wearing through is extreme IMO. Alignment is always the best place to start. My CLS55 failed its last MOT with a worn through rear tyre. So that was a new pair of Goodyears although the old tyres probably had 10000 miles tread left. Alignment sorted it.

I recently bought a c43 estate with 7k miles and both fronts had to be replaced as they were at the limit. They are Pirelli tyres.

A bit surprised having come from a f80 m3 and I did 20k miles and tread wear was 5-6mm still left when i sold it.

Maybe Mercedes are just heavier or front biased. Not sure.

Hopefully the alignment is out, if it isn’t it’s a bit worrying. Will let you know what the results are today.

Quite normal on MB due to geometry they run.

A good alignment shop will offer you the choice between correct alignment with the car tracking straight with wheel dead ahead or longer tyre life...

make sure you get the alignment bolts fittted at the front - MB stopped fitting these as new several years ago but they can, and should, be retrofitted to aid alignment

My cars still in warranty so no I can’t fit alignment bolts.

Having tyres wear to the canvas on the inside is not acceptable for any car, the outside of the tread was at least 4.5mm so a bit extreme !

You can’t fit alignment bolts at all anyway. The w205 AMG doesn’t run the same design. Front inner edge tyre wear is a common problem. They run a fair bit of negative camber to enhance the turn in. There are mercedes bushes to replace the inner camber arm bushes which have an offset hole for troublesome cars. How many miles did you get from the tyres? The bushes might not be worth the trade off. I’d hate you to have it done and dislike what it does to the handling

Our E63 wore the insides away all the time and it’s alignment was in spec with manufacture. Our 205 C63 wears evenly across the fronts.

Mine does it too !

I had this on my previous one, not quite down to the canvas but needed replacing at a relatively low mileage for the fronts given my driving style/commute. From memory it was about 5/6k miles.
4 wheel alignment sorted this and I had meant to get this done on my current one but this fortunately hasn't suffered the same issue, current car is on Michelin's @ 13k miles.
Not convinced by speed humps causing unless you are running over hundreds of them every week at speed.

So picked up the car, it did need alignment back to the OEM spec but now the steering wheel is slightly off centre 🤦🏼

Would low tyre pressure contribute to this and put more load on edge?

So picked up the car, it did need alignment back to the OEM spec but now the steering wheel is slightly off centre 🤦🏼

A good alignment shop will offer you the choice between correct alignment with the car tracking straight with wheel dead ahead or longer tyre life...

Apologies for the thread resurrection.....

My E350 C207 has just had it's front tyres (Uniroyal Rain Sport 3s) replaced after having done 35k on them. Whilst I cannot complain about the time they've lasted I too had serious inner edge wear.

Hunter alignment was done when tyres were new and once more since then.

Attachments

• 20210603_162520.jpg
    20210603_162520.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210603_162517.jpg
    20210603_162517.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Hi hope you’re all enjoying you’re AMG’s. my C63 W205 went in for a service last month and one of the from tyres was worn done to the canvas/thread on the inside, so had to get two new front tyres.

It’s in for alignment at the dealer today but the service rep said it’s common for AMG’s to have excessive wear on the tyres ! I had to bit my tongue a little bit when he said that.

Has anybody else experienced excessive uneven front tyre wear and get it fixed ?
I'm told this is completely normal for the 63. My car had an MOT advisory when under previous ownership and I can see it was for the inside edges of the front tyres worn to the canvas. All 4 of my tyres were new about 3500 miles ago so i've yet to experience the same level of wear, but because i'm a pedantic pr*ck when it comes to cars, if they do wear like that again i'll live with it and swallow the cost of a new pair - my borderline OCD does not deal well with off-centre steering wheels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom