C63 weird at speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seesixtythree

Car
audi
Hi guys

I have a 12 plate coupe with 30k miles. Above 80mph (obv on a private road) the steering starts to feel quite light like almost like the front end is lifting up and there seems to be quite a bit of play in the steering. Is this normal? Feels a bit unnerving tbh.
Thanks

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, no idea how to fix it though!

Hi guys

I have a 12 plate coupe with 30k miles. Above 80mph (obv on a private road) the steering starts to feel quite light like almost like the front end is lifting up and there seems to be quite a bit of play in the steering. Is this normal? Feels a bit unnerving tbh.
Thanks

Get the geometry checked and check your tyre pressures.

Get your tracking checked as mentioned above.
C63s do go light on the front but at much higher speeds than 80mph.

Having similar problem with mine at the moment only notice it on motorway or when going for an overtake it's seems to get light. Had the alignment done twice and not made any difference.

Been reading that the torque arms/thrust arms/control arms (depending on where you look) have a fault with them. The bushes tend to wear Similar problems happened with the w203 from what I've been reading.

The arms can be replaced as a unit around £50-70 plus fitting or the bushes can be replaced £15-30 just.
Haven't bought any parts yet but over next month or so I will be replacing the fronts to start off with and just see how it goes.

I've experienced similar problems and quite surprised .

I have also heard of owners with similar complaints so I'd assume there's an inherent design or aerodynamic flaw with the car ,although hard to believe as AMG have spent millions on development and testing!

Gledsyc63- please keep us updated ,however I doubt these items will wear out so quickly . Mine is a 62 plate with 23k miles and has had a gentle life !

Having similar problem with mine at the moment only notice it on motorway or when going for an overtake it's seems to get light. Had the alignment done twice and not made any difference.

Been reading that the torque arms/thrust arms/control arms (depending on where you look) have a fault with them. The bushes tend to wear Similar problems happened with the w203 from what I've been reading.

The arms can be replaced as a unit around £50-70 plus fitting or the bushes can be replaced £15-30 just.
Haven't bought any parts yet but over next month or so I will be replacing the fronts to start off with and just see how it goes.

I have the same problem, but at much higher speeds. Same feeling of the front end going light, the car also feels very fidgety at motorway speeds too, I have to keep adjusting the steering to keep her straight.
I had the geometry checked and all fine, even fitted new rear tyres and still the same feeling.
I have Pilot sports on the front with plenty of tread and new Goodyears on the back, some say the C63s dont like this?, they need to have the same all round?
With whats been mentioned above I would agree, as it does feel as though a ball joint or linkage of some sort is worn allowing too much play.
I am going to contact Merc and see when the service is due and get the torque arms checked out.
The car has only done 25k miles but I do think it had a hard life before i got it so this makes sense to me.
As I stated in a previous post a car of this stature should be rock solid at high speed.

My car was serviced a couple of months ago by main dealer and had an MOT done . If there was a problem with ballpoints/arms, you'd think I would have been advised !

Oh well , let's see what happens after you guys get your cars checked .

I have the same problem, but at much higher speeds. Same feeling of the front end going light, the car also feels very fidgety at motorway speeds too, I have to keep adjusting the steering to keep her straight.
I had the geometry checked and all fine, even fitted new rear tyres and still the same feeling.
I have Pilot sports on the front with plenty of tread and new Goodyears on the back, some say the C63s dont like this?, they need to have the same all round?
With whats been mentioned above I would agree, as it does feel as though a ball joint or linkage of some sort is worn allowing too much play.
I am going to contact Merc and see when the service is due and get the torque arms checked out.
The car has only done 25k miles but I do think it had a hard life before i got it so this makes sense to me.
As I stated in a previous post a car of this stature should be rock solid at high speed.

Thanks for all your comments....I have just purchased the car from MB and its been recently serviced and had the usual checks - obviously the checks arent thorough enough to pick up.

Does anyone know if the warranty covers this?

Thanks,

Gledsyc63- please keep us updated ,however I doubt these items will wear out so quickly . Mine is a 62 plate with 23k miles and has had a gentle life !

Mines a Similar ages been a 12 plate but with just over 28k miles on and had a hard life before I owned the car as 3 alloys were welded when I purchased from the merc dealer.

I'm going to go into merc on Thursday and get some prices and part numbers together and find out whether they have had cars in with Similar problems.

I originally thought that it was my new tires that I fitted pss all round but having 2.5k on front and just over 500 miles on back plus some burnouts it had to be something else.
On the American forums I've read somebody changing them every 6k miles if I remember rightly and it been more common over there.

merc85 said:
Good excuse to fit a carbon front splitter ;)

Would be nice if it was just aero dynamics causing the problem but I've noticed this at slower speed when giving it a boot.

Got some prices from my local mb and also another just to check both same price.

Upper front control arm £101.51 + vat
Or
Bush kit for upper control arm £23.70 + vat
Plus some seals at 3.25 a piece.

Wanting £201 + vat each side to fit and £130 for alignment afterwards.

Lower control arm is £282 + vat and £72 inc vat to fit each side.
A bush kit cannot be bought for this unfortunately.

Going to do the bushes first and see what the results are to try and determine where the problem is coming from.

I've booked mine in to MB to have a look at it - best to make use of the warranty now that I have it.

It only happens at mway speeds and above

Good excuse to fit a carbon front splitter ;)

I think mec85 has hit the nail on the head .

It's splitters and aerodynamic aids we need , similar to black series .

I've also been reading that the torque arms on the rear are something to look at as well.

MrPoseidon said:
Any updates on this ?

Haven't been so well recently so car has been sat for over a week I'm getting it on ramp tomorrow morning and will be doing some investigating and will take some pictures.

Just been reading on the amg forum somebody had a similar feeling and merc have replaced the torque arms so this will be first to look at. If these are the problem they are cheaper than the control arms which would be a bonus.

Hi guys

Thanks

The answer is to install a bigger engine. The extra weight will solve the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

RayH

If aerodynamics were the problem, they would have revealed themselves during development, which AMG are normally good at.

More likely it's suspension/steering wear, which AMG would obviously not have had to encounter during initial testing....

That being said, any impriovement to aerodynamics is to be encouraged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom