C63S Pending new owner - silly question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgregory124

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63S
Evening all,

I'm about the come back to the 'fold' after 16 years (used to own a C36). I've settled on and am currently looking at potential 2016/2017 C63S Saloons but have an important (but maybe silly) question which I cannot find a straight answer to anywhere.

Did all the S's come with the switchable exhaust? I used to think they did but now i'm not so sure, i've seen articles saying that the coupe's all do but its an option on the saloons? Please can someone clarify for me as I don't want to waste my time trucking around looking at cars without the exhaust option, after all its one of my main reasons to buy one! :)

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.

Simon

Switchable exhaust is optional on all models, coupe included.

Cars from 1 June 2017 production appear to have the performance exhaust as standard, the screenshot is from the UK brochure.
1595363810859.png

Option code U78 should be on the build sheet, I always thought it had 'switchable' in the text.

Cars from 1 June 2017 production appear to have the performance exhaust as standard, the screenshot is from the UK brochure.
View attachment 99754

"Performance exhaust" is not the same as "switchable exhaust" I don't think. All AMGs have the performance exhaust but the switchable function was always optional. That's my understanding. OP - if the car you're looking at has interior shots you will be able to see the switchable button on the centre console.
And you're right - this is the single most important feature on modern AMG models!

"Performance exhaust" is not the same as "switchable exhaust" I don't think. All AMGs have the performance exhaust but the switchable function was always optional. That's my understanding. OP - if the car you're looking at has interior shots you will be able to see the switchable button on the centre console.
And you're right - this is the single most important feature on modern AMG models!
There is no optional extra in the June 2017 brochure for switchable exhaust and have just checked details of the C63S Coupe I bought in June 2017 which had the switchable exhaust and this was standard.

2017 brochure
2016 brochure

Premium Package
2,595.00​
Driving Assistance Package
1,695.00​
AMG Night package
585.00​
Obsidian Black Metallic
685.00​
19/20" AMG alloy wheels (4) - cross-spoke design painted matt black
1,735.00​
AMG Carbon Fibre Trim
700.00​

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can see now that there is a distinct difference between 'performance' and 'switchable' alright. Neither of the two cars i've been eyeing up have the button on the console, so I guess it's going to take slightly longer to get the car I want that I first anticipated. All part of the fun I suppose but a bit frustrating......

Just did a search for used C63 coupes from 2015 to 2017 and the 1st 5 out of 6 on the list sorted by oldest 1st all have the exhaust switch button visible on the central console.

1595573300219.png

Thanks again for the info. I've found a car with the magic button anyway, which i'm viewing tomorrow (to be fair 'view' is completely interchangeable with 'buy' based on what I know about the car) - excited is an understatement.

Thanks again for the info. I've found a car with the magic button anyway, which i'm viewing tomorrow (to be fair 'view' is completely interchangeable with 'buy' based on what I know about the car) - excited is an understatement.

Exciting, hope you get a decent test drive.

By way of a final update to this thread, I put a deposit down today on an absolute minter of a car in Bristol. Brilliant blue, 2017 S with Premium pack, panoramic roof etc Only done 15k......Will be picking up on Friday or Saturday next week all being well.

One very happy chap here :)

By way of a final update to this thread, I put a deposit down today on an absolute minter of a car in Bristol. Brilliant blue, 2017 S with Premium pack, panoramic roof etc Only done 15k......Will be picking up on Friday or Saturday next week all being well.

One very happy chap here :)
Er, that's not how we do things around here. First we'll need some pictures of the car even though most of know what it looks like. We still want to see pictures of yours.
Next, we'll need to know about the drive from Bristol to Derbyshire, which is where I'm guessing you live, or the car will live. We'll need to know the things you enjoyed
as well as those you didn't. We'll also need to know the questions you have for us on the car. You're not going to know everything about the car between know and the
the drive back. Lastly, you can still use this thread to give updates on the car.

If this feels like I'm admonishing you, oops!

Consider me admonished! :)

Ok - so i'll post pictures on this thread just as soon as I get it home and give a full update on the journey experience, warts and all. It's gonna be a loooooong week!

You have to get less than 20 mpg on the way home to qualify for full club membership....

Ok so I finally picked up the new 'runabout' today - i'm speechless! I knew this car would be a proper weapon but wow!

I've done a couple of hundred miles on the pickup (Bristol to Derbyshire) followed by a jaunt up to Chatsworth and back for the twisties. I am going to disappoint some though as my MPG averaged 32.1mpg which I was pleased with for a first attempt.

I've attached a couple of pView attachment 100292View attachment 100293ics, i'm no photographer and it started tipping it down midway through so they're not the best but you all know your way round a C63 I'm sure.

Currently my only dilemma is how the hell do I keep it in a straight line when giving it big licks in anything other than a straight line!? Managed to scare myself a couple of times already, I put that down to being cosseted along by my previous car (Audi A6 Avant BiTDi all wheel drive obviously) - in that I could mash the throttle peddle any which way I wanted and it would stick.

Think i'm going to have to relearn everything I know about driving but its all good. Now, just need this rain to do one tomorrow so I can take it out for another blast!

IMG_7020.jpegIMG_7017.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom