C63S tyre recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
Hello all.

My recently acquired (2015) C63S currently has Michelin Pilot super sport tyres fitted (standard 19" size and set to 38 & 35 psi as per directions in fuel filler).............but I don;t find them very good at all.

Even in comfort mode I find them pretty noisy and "stiff"

Roads in Jersey are pretty poor, but wondered what others are running - could do with something a bit quieter and/or compliant.

Perhaps I should be using others in colder weather? Different pressures or different summer tyres maybe?

I was thinking of trying Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S instead.

Any advice gratefully received!

Hello all.

My recently acquired (2015) C63S currently has Michelin Pilot super sport tyres fitted (standard 19" size and set to 38 & 35 psi as per directions in fuel filler).............but I don;t find them very good at all.

Even in comfort mode I find them pretty noisy and "stiff"

Roads in Jersey are pretty poor, but wondered what others are running - could do with something a bit quieter and/or compliant.

Perhaps I should be using others in colder weather? Different pressures or different summer tyres maybe?

I was thinking of trying Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S instead.

Any advice gratefully received!
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is a fantastic tyre with a broader operating range than the Pilot Supersport. I can’t recommend them
highly enough.

What the date code on the tyre? If it’s the same age as the car (or close) then the rubber will have stiffened over time and so even if there’s some tread life then it *may* still be worth switching.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is a fantastic tyre with a broader operating range than the Pilot Supersport. I can’t recommend them
highly enough.

What the date code on the tyre? If it’s the same age as the car (or close) then the rubber will have stiffened over time and so even if there’s some tread life then it *may* still be worth switching.

Not checked the date code - but there is a receipt in the history that shows they were fitted approx 2.5 years ago...........
It doesn't help that Jersey roads are shocking - but I still think I can get a better ride!
I assume its best to stick with stock sizes (245 front and 265 rear)?

Not checked the date code - but there is a receipt in the history that shows they were fitted approx 2.5 years ago...........
It doesn't help that Jersey roads are shocking - but I still think I can get a better ride!
I assume its best to stick with stock sizes (245 front and 265 rear)?
Personally I would always stick with standard tyre sizes although there are plenty of MBClub members who would advocate going up a size.

The Superaport is a generation or two old now, and as the name suggests was Michelin’s sporting tyre at launch, fitted to all sorts of spicy metal (at still is).

For a very high performance tyre, even in Jersey the winter temperatures will be outside of the intended operating range for making the rubber hard.

Setting age aside, at this time of year I’d be surprised if you could even get them to into the optimal temperature range on the road in Jersey - never mind stay there.

Personally I would always stick with standard tyre sizes although there are plenty of MBClub members who would advocate going up a size.

The Superaport is a generation or two old now, and as the name suggests was Michelin’s sporting tyre at launch, fitted to all sorts of spicy metal (at still is).

For a very high performance tyre, even in Jersey the winter temperatures will be outside of the intended operating range for making the rubber hard.

Setting age aside, at this time of year I’d be surprised if you could even get them to into the optimal temperature range on the road in Jersey - never mind stay there.

I think standard size it is. Want as comfy/quiet as possible. Would a bigger aspect ratio work for more give I wonder?
You’re absolutely right, hard at any time of the year to get temp in tyres because of the low speeds and stop/start driving!
If roads were better perhaps these sport tyres would be better, but need to opt for as pliable as possible to try and counteract the noise from poor road surfaces.
Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom