C63S vs M3 in this months Evo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DuncS3

Car
2017 C63S Coupe, 2005 E46 M3, 1988 Audi quattro
Evo has a head to head between the S and M3 - choice quoting:

"The AMGs motor knocks the M3's into the middle of next week for output, excitement and drama"

"the gap between the two cars has now closed to a point where there's so little to choose between them, you may as well flip a coin"

but they still pick the M3 as the overall winner for greater precision and engagement.

thats fair i think.

I don't know. I'm a little sick of them still standing by the M car even though they've been critical of their long-term M4 - spikey in anything other than ideal dry conditions, anodyne engine noise etc etc. Editor Trott just drove it for a week and said he preferred his old long term C63 Coupe. I'll be interested to hear what Chris Harris thinks when he (inevitably) back to backs them.

Engagement??? How about a car with an engine that is truly special, that makes a noise like a DTM car for the road and a car that you feel you can exploit more of the time in the real world as opposed to outright lap time on a track. I'm disappointed EVO.

M3 for looks, C63 for everything else!

BenzedUP said:
They will always go for the M3, regardless. You can't compare the 2 cars, the 63 is so far ahead, imo.
i agree Ben is like chalk and cheese!:)

The only advantage the M3/M4 has over the C63 is the Transmission, they use a proper dual clutch.

Other than that the c63 smashes them in every other department.

Although I ordered the C63S, I think the M3/M4 looks far nicer but I just like the AMG thing at the moment - its the engine that does it for me (and all of us I guess).

Who buys c63 for going fast around track, we buy it to bully m3 in straight line haha

Who buys a M3 to go fast round a track? Really? Its a 1500KG practical saloon.

Load of ********, an Ariel Atom it is not.

I agree with you guys, I found EVO Review quite strange. The M3 DOES not sound as great and as exciting as the C63 and I seriously felt he was not driving the c63 car as well as the M3 to be honest.

Indeed in my view the c63 car did not respond as well as the car Chris Harris drove in his last review - it was far more alive and exciting to drive than this chap did. So I really tend to think he had made his mind up about preferring the M3 from the start.

The AMG in the right hands will out perform the M3/M4 on the track.

You guys seen the C63 BS & M3 GTS? on 5th Gear?

I'm always a bit puzzled about why people get steamed up about unrepresentative "track tests" such as this :dk:

If you want a track car, I wouldn't have thought that either would have been a first choice, and while it may be of minor academic interest that the M3 on that particular circuit with that particular driver was seven-tenths quicker over a lap than the C63S, for most owners it will be what the cars are like to drive on public roads that's important. In that respect I found the comments about the M3 being great on a super-smooth track surface, as opposed to the usual mixture of bumps, pot-holes and camber changes on a public road, to be the most revealing part of the "test".

Me neither. It was not a comment specifically relating to posters on this thread, more a generic "what's the point" sort of comment on the validity (or otherwise) of the clip :thumb:

nico2014 said:
I agree with you guys, I found EVO Review quite strange. The M3 DOES not sound as great and as exciting as the C63 and I seriously felt he was not driving the c63 car as well as the M3 to be honest. Indeed in my view the c63 car did not respond as well as the car Chris Harris drove in his last review - it was far more alive and exciting to drive than this chap did. So I really tend to think he had made his mind up about preferring the M3 from the start.
i totally agree.

The only advantage the M3/M4 has over the C63 is the Transmission, they use a proper dual clutch.

Other than that the c63 smashes them in every other department.

Actually, having owned the new M3 for about 7 minutes last year (it's sh!t) and having recently had the new C63 for a weekend, I actually think that AMG have got the MCT so good that it's at least as good as the M3's DCT in day to day driving. It responds to paddle inputs without any delay, it's so fast that you really can't tell if it is or isn't 100th's of a second slower to change gear and yet it makes a better job of being an auto.

No, the only area the M3 has an advantage over the C63 is aesthetics. And thats such a subjective matter that it doesn't count!

I'm always a bit puzzled about why people get steamed up about unrepresentative "track tests" such as this :dk:

If you want a track car, I wouldn't have thought that either would have been a first choice, and while it may be of minor academic interest that the M3 on that particular circuit with that particular driver was seven-tenths quicker over a lap than the C63S, for most owners it will be what the cars are like to drive on public roads that's important. In that respect I found the comments about the M3 being great on a super-smooth track surface, as opposed to the usual mixture of bumps, pot-holes and camber changes on a public road, to be the most revealing part of the "test".

That was exactly my thoughts and the most telling part. Outside of the track and on normal roads the M3 struggles more to put its power down. It's not the first time I've seen this mentioned either. So off the track where most of us will be driving our cars 99%+ of the time the C63's suspension setup allows the tears to grip better.

For me, I don't think the track difference you'll really notice on a twisty B road. Your more likely to notice differences in straight line performance, overtaking pull from more torque, etc. As I think a couple of videos have shown, you'll beat an M3 off the lights or on a rolling start quite easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom