Cab roof mechanism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aswall

Car
CLS 350
Just come back from hols and though my next project is upgrading the stereo there is one thing that has been bugging me (well one of thousands of things in my life - that's what a beach hol does for me, I get bored and need to keep my mind active!). It's the roof. Is there any way that the safety mechanism that locks out the opening/closing unless you're in Park can be overridden? I realise that putting the hood up at 40mph would be a bad move, but it would be far more convenient to be able to put the hood up or down whilst trickling along in slow moving traffic - plenty of other cars are able to. What happens if it's a manual, does it just have to be in Neutral? That would be easier, at least you could roll a bit whilst operating it.

Anyone heard of an answer to this or does the super clever fibre optic network make it impossible

Cheers
Andy

PS Need sleep now - have been up since Sun morn and couldn't sleep on plane, brain hasn't a clue what time it is but my eyes are starting to close.

I have looked into this issue myself. The interlock is via the CANBUS and cannot be overriden.
Let me know if you find a way though - I agree that it's a pain having to be stationary to open the roof....

Paul G

What happens if you put the car into drive whilst the hood is lowering? Does it stop half down?

Originally posted by RichardM
What happens if you put the car into drive whilst the hood is lowering? Does it stop half down?

RichardM - Yes, it beeps and stops immediately you take it out of Park as if it has been obstructed.

Paul - Thought that would be the case, thanks

Cheers
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom