Cabin filter with active carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
Cabin filters with active carbon aren't they supposed to eliminate funky odor from outside entering cabin when the AC is ON?

I was driving behind an RV diesel van who had the exhaust on the drivers side just behind the driver.
I could smell the diesel fumes entering my cabin, it was appalling and very nasty.
I quickly hit the circulation switch but it was already too late, diesel smell had entered my cabin.

Many times I have passed lawnmower machines cutting grass, I can smell freshly smell from cut grass in the cabin.
Cabin filter with carbon should they not stop funky smell entering cabin?

These filters are very expensive if purchased at the wrong place like stealership.
Non carbon filters are a lot cheaper meaning if carbon filters can't keep funky odor away we're getting ripped off paying more for them.

So, how do cabin carbon filters protect passengers from nasty smell?

I believe the science behind it is that they are supposed to help, but they will never completely eliminate smells entering the cabin (especially strong smells as you have described).

I would imagine it is doing somthing, but in my experience, there is not a massive difference between carbon and non-carbon cabin filters.

The price difference between both filters is huge at dealership!
I know Mann came out with a new series of anti bacteria Frecious Plus biofunctional cabin filter.
It should protect from diesel soot.
Version: FP2897

Well that sounds like the solution!!

If charcoal filters where that good, the manufacturers wouldn't bother with the recirculate function...

If charcoal filters where that good, the manufacturers wouldn't bother with the recirculate function...
Except to accelerate heating and particularly cooling, the cabin.
The amount of active carbon present in those filters will become exhausted very quickly anyway.
Most MB models have sensors to switch flow to recirc (and the carbon filter where fitted) automatically. It'll never be quick enough, the human nose is remarkably sensitive.

AFAIK MB do use Mann filters

From the product info for those filters
"The air that flows into the vehicle through the ventilation ducts during driving, which can be as much as 540,000 litres per hour,"
At that flowrate the active constituents in the filter will be exhausted within hours, possibly minutes.

I know MB use Mann filtering as OEM parts, but don't know if this ferocious anti fungi cabin filter is implemented in the ECP?

The pollen filters in Jaguars work perfectly for a long time, don't understand this one ?

The pollen filters in Jaguars work perfectly for a long time, don't understand this one ?

do they last longer than 1500km's?
replacement interval is 1500 km or once a year.

I'm sure all the filters remove pollen quite effectively but as for odours and gaseous pollutants :dk:.....

HI, 15k miles at least, 2 to 3 years, the whole point of the carbon ones is keeping pongs out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom