Cabling problem..pin out or advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
Cabling problem..pin out or advice needed.

I need to cable from a Standard BT Feature line wall socket, via Cat5e Structured cabling to a PDQ machine..........

So I think I need a Male BT (white telephone) to RJ45, (to go into the patch panel), through the cabling system, then RJ45>female RJ11

Where can I get this stuff, or should I just chop a telephone cable and crimp on an RJ45 connector....or do I need balums/dongles/converters ?

Whilst I’m quite happy making Ethernet patch leads I have no idea as to the pin outs of telephone.....

Help !

I am NOT a phone engineer - but I have done quite a bit of telephone over structured
BT sockets use pins 2 and 5 which are normally Orange and white

Loads of ways to do it, but being tight I would use stock BT cable, chop the cable and wire the BT end to a Cat5 module, then patch through the structured and come out to a RJ11 non active Balun (only because we have all of those in the stores/vans!).

Presentation at the phone end could be extremely varied including wiring an RJ11 plug to another Cat5 Module and just patching across, or using a commercially available RJ45 tio RJ11 cable
As long as you use pins 2 and 5 and keep the pins constant across the structured it should work quite happily.

Whilst not ideal an RJ11 cable does fit into an RJ45 socket but it wouldn't be my first choice for a PDQ machine

It would take about 15 minutes if you were closer!

Important things to note. Use pins 4 and 5 on the RJ45 for the A and B leg of the telephone (usually blue). Do not connect the ring (usually orange).

That way it will not present line power to an accidentally plugged in 10/100 ethernet card, gigabit cards should accept it without damage.

RJ11-BTS or RJ45-BTS will do nicely at the PDQ end and will generate the ring signal - these do not have a surge supressor in them though so make sure you're behind a master socket, do not wire to line...

You can use a spare modem cable to connect your phone socket to the patch panel, RJ45 sockets are designed to take RJ11 plugs - RJP-BTP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom