Cabrio Care

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storm

I'm the new owner of a softtop (I've not had much use out of it recently), and I just wondered if I had to do anything special to look after it? Do I need special stuff to clean it? Do I need to protect it in the winter?! Are there any obvious tips I should know?

Yes - you need to look after it - not hard though;)

Autoglym do a rag top care kit that is brilliant. I used it when I had a rag top and passed it onto Kikkthecat when he got his. Has a cleaner and a protector that does the job very nicely.

Make sure you brush off any bird lime asap and don't let tree sap drip onto it if at all poss. Other than protect from as much direct sunlight, as that can cause them to fade. Again should be easy coz if the sun's shining, the top should be off anyway:D and enjoy:D

Thanks for the tips, I'll pick up one of those kits.

You've got my a little worried about sunshine though as I don't have a garage and I don't think my car'll fit in the shed!

Car ports are good, if you've got somewhere to put one up. If it's a weekend & nice weather car (i.e. not used every day) you might consider a cover. You need to get a decent one though (not cheap), and have to keep the car pretty clean.

Hmm... although we've got a large parking area (for about 5/6 cars) a car port isn't an option due to building restrictions on the land.

I guess I could invest in a cover though, although it'll seem a bit strange putting one over my car in the summer!

I would keep the car under a cover if you don't have a garage - though bear in mind if it's windy it will flap about and scratch the paint if put on a dirty car (water naturally transfers with the breathable covers).

Renovo is pretty much the industry standard - Hindsight is also a good product for the plastic screen. As Pammy says Autoglym do a kit for about £18 that works well enough. A stiff brush is useful for cleaning when dry.

I had a cover on my SL for nearly 3 years, a decent fitted one won't flap about in the wind but I would still recommend keeping the car as clean as possible. A breathable one is a must IMO, mine came from Covercraft:

http://www.covercraft-europe.com/homepage_car.html

Forget about silver PVC ones from Halfords!

pammy said:
I should be easy coz if the sun's shining, the top should be off anyway:D enjoy:D

Really? I'm sure we will.:D

Dieselman said:
Really? I'm sure we will.:D

lol - check out Bridgewood - if the sun's shining - the top'll be off ;)

pammy said:
lol - check out Bridgewood - if the sun's shining - the top'll be off ;)
:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: oh, you mean Edna :(

use the renovo kit, i reall was impressed by it, my sl had gone to a faded denim look, applied the dye and cleaners it was brilliant, is a bit expensive but well worth it if your top needs a good clean, the protector is also good, really keeps it water tight

Raj

Thanks Raj (even if you put us back on topic away from boobs ;) ),

Do you know of a care-guide anywhere (I've searched and can't find one) or is it likely that all kits will come with detailed instructions?

How is it possible to tell when it needs doing? Should water beed and roll off? On my roof it seems to sink in, by that I mean I get small wet patches wherever raindrops fall.

lol - you lot are sooooooooooooooooo easily led:devil: :devil:

As for how the fabric is - yes it should bead and run off. If it regularly; ie in any type of wet, lets the moisture soak in, then it needs re-proofing;)

Would I have grounds to whinge at MB for supplying the car in this condition (it's second hand, but I've owned it for less than a week). Or should I really just shut up and do it myself?

Storm said:
Would I have grounds to whinge at MB for supplying the car in this condition (it's second hand, but I've owned it for less than a week). Or should I really just shut up and do it myself?

Possibly - it depends how much the water is sinking in. How old is the car?

If the car is fairly new then I would have expected it to have been reproofed as part of the presale prep if it was needed. If it's an older car and you didn't check this out before buying then I think you get what you buy. It's a fairly obvious thing with a rag top tbh. It's akin, imho, to buying a car, getting it home then deciding that there's not enough tread on the tyres - should be done before you agree to buy and form part of the deal.

However, if the car is less than two/three years old then I would expect a rag top to still be in good waterproof condition and therefore warrants getting them to look at it. If under three years you have the warranty to think about ;)

If it's older than than three years then it all depends really on what the car was sold as - ie top notch immaculate - then take it back, anything else - perhaps just do it yourself.

hth and jmho;)

Thanks for the replies.

I did inspect the car and the top quite carefully, but it wasn't raining at the time so I didn't spot any potential problems with the waterproofing. Perhaps I should've taken the salesman's offer of a glass of water up after all. :D

It's a December 2004 model, so it's not particularly old. It sounds as though I wouldn't be totally out of line to at least discuss it with the dealer. I'll see what they suggest.

I guess I just didn't want to complain, take it in and then be told it's perfectly fine. But water certainly isn't beeding.

Two years old - so - when it's dry take a watering can and pour it over and see what the water does. If it beads and runs off then it's OK. If it soaks in immediately take it back and ask them to reproof it.

Has it been scotchguarded or anything? If so then the roof shoiuld be guaranteed ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom