Cabrio Care

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Help have some algae on soft top. Clk320 Wynn cleaner was a waste of time. Not really bad just spots here and there. Can anyone recommend a better cleaner. Many thanks

Nailbrush, elbow grease and APC.
Then proof it with Fabsil.

For Algae you need to use something like diluted Milton (used for cleaning baby bottles) then as mentioned a nailbrush to get it off.

Renovo do 3 products, and to do the soft top properly you need all 3, plus their scrubbing brush.
1. Cleaner - basically soap, scrubbed in with their scrubbing brush then washed off with loads of water.
2. Re-colourant - but before you do this, mask up everywhere you don't want it to go, as it's thinner than water and gets everywhere. Drainage channels round the boot lid, paintwork, you name it! Easy to get off when it's wet, but a pig when it's dry. I was still finding bits of it 6 months after I did my 968 cab roof. Also the instructions say do not fold the roof for at least 24 hours after colouring or you'll get white fold marks. Guess what. they're right - and guess how I know!!
3. Waterproofer - if you've done the first 2 properly, this will last years. I did my 968 5 years ago, and only re-did it last year as I found a half empty can of Fabsil and decided to empty it before our big trip to Spain.

Just did my CLK roof yesterday, annual clean

First wet it with a watering can or hose
Then with warm diluted Milton's and a nail brush to get at those green areas
Rinse
Then warm blue baby bath (pH neutral)
Then rinse with can or hose (not a power washer) until no suds run off
Allow to dry
Then paint on Fabsil (maintain a wet line)

Allow to dry and use (usually within an hour)

The above should avoid the need to colour it

Renovo do 3 products, and to do the soft top properly you need all 3, plus their scrubbing brush.
1. Cleaner - basically soap, scrubbed in with their scrubbing brush then washed off with loads of water.
2. Re-colourant - but before you do this, mask up everywhere you don't want it to go, as it's thinner than water and gets everywhere. Drainage channels round the boot lid, paintwork, you name it! Easy to get off when it's wet, but a pig when it's dry. I was still finding bits of it 6 months after I did my 968 cab roof. Also the instructions say do not fold the roof for at least 24 hours after colouring or you'll get white fold marks. Guess what. they're right - and guess how I know!!
3. Waterproofer - if you've done the first 2 properly, this will last years. I did my 968 5 years ago, and only re-did it last year as I found a half empty can of Fabsil and decided to empty it before our big trip to Spain.

Generally what is the finish like from the Renovo product, good as new or better than it was before...?

I did the Blue roof on my Saab with it after cats scratched it, some staining from Seagulls occurred etc

Didn't like it and it was one of the reasons I decided to sell the car

It looked painted

IMHO use as a last resort. Proper cleaning as above should mean it's only damage that will mean you need to paint it. Some detailers can save roofs using upholstery techniques.
Saab, BMW and no doubt MB forums will have stories shared of both Renovo and cleaners efforts (often with pictures)

How 'bad' is yours?

Last edited:
Just did my CLK roof yesterday, annual clean

First wet it with a watering can or hose
Then with warm diluted Milton's and a nail brush to get at those green areas
Rinse
Then warm blue baby bath (pH neutral)
Then rinse with can or hose (not a power washer) until no suds run off
Allow to dry
Then paint on Fabsil (maintain a wet line)

Allow to dry and use (usually within an hour)

The above should avoid the need to colour it

Pretty much what I have done on my convertibles for years with good results. Usually in the spring and autumn.

I did the Blue roof on my Saab with it after cats scratched it, some staining from Seagulls occurred etc

Didn't like it and it was one of the reasons I decided to sell the car

It looked painted

IMHO use as a last resort. Proper cleaning as above should mean it's only damage that will mean you need to paint it. Some detailers can save roofs using upholstery techniques.
Saab, BMW and no doubt MB forums will have stories shared of both Renovo and cleaners efforts (often with pictures)

How 'bad' is yours?

Not that bad so long as it has been rained on recently - I've found a good downpour will make it quite black again. But at twenty years old in NZL with very high UV you can tell the difference between it and a new hood.
I have a Genuine new hood, liner and intermediate layer in the wardrobe ready to fit but it is a matter of finding somebody who can fit it properly. It is a trade off between having a hood that is not quite spot on and having a "new" one fitted that isn't quite spot on. I think I will put up with the factory one a bit longer. I'm not ready to strangle the next "tradesman" just quite yet. :)

Generally what is the finish like from the Renovo product, good as new or better than it was before...?

I did the 968 just after I bought it 4 years ago, the hood came up very well, almost as new - would have been better had I followed the instructions to not fold the hood for 24 hours after colouring!:wallbash::wallbash: It still looks pretty good, I've not re-done it, just gave it 1/2 can of Fabsil last September (getting rid of yet another 1/2 empty can of stuff from the garage!).

I've also seen good reports of the Autoglym kit.

Hmmmmm, didn't know you were out there.

Try the cleaning route, and the Fabsil does lock in the darker, cleaner appearance.

If you do die / Renovo it, make sure you do it in the shade and as cool as possible. It dries quickly and will leave lines - and the paint protection to the car itself is a bugga!

New roof (after 20 years) sounds like a big expense, but if you've already got it, it would be a good Plan B.

Yours can't be the only vert there, so crash repair shops must have experience - who would your insurers use (if say it was a one year old car economically worth putting a new roof on- ask them......?j

I've used Fabsil a few times since buyin car two years ago. As said for best result paint in a cool garage or overcast dry day. The bugs and fluff love to land on a wet roof :doh:
I bought a 2.5 litre can and think it'll last for 3-4 applications. I do put on two coats at a time though and keep it wet for second coat.

Fabsil UV Universal Silicone Waterproofer 2.5L Tin - GRFAB06 | eBay

Clean thoroughly beforehand. As said a nailbrush is great for the stitched areas along the roof edging and around the window.

This coating beads nicely like a waxed painted panel, although loses this appearance within a few months.

Have they changed the formulation of Fabsil? I've used it on tents etc. in the past, but it was heavily solvent-based (smelled like white spirit) and I wouldn't have risked it on a car (potential long-term effects on any rubber/plastic parts it came into contact with).

I bought a pump up Killaspray thing to apply it and all the rubber seals in that cracked and split.

Nope Fabsil is still the same ( though they do a Fabsil gold now as well)

It is silicone based liquid IIRC
It does smell a bit and nope I wouldn't want it on the paintwork either, so a 2 or 3 inch brush, lightly loaded for the edges is fine. You can plan for run down /off and that's it easy enough to avoid run off

One coat enough for me

Lift roof, drop windows. Insert newspaper, raise roof and windows. Protects the car from runs quite nicely.

Have found a wallpaper brush ideal for applying as it is wide but controllable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom