Cabriolet bike carrier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristol

Car
E200 cabriolet
Hi All,

I have a 2011 E200 cabriolet and want to be able to carry a couple of bikes. I've looked at the various options and think the detachable tow hook would be best but my local main dealer claims that MB does not offer any parts (presumably because it's not possible to fit one). Anyone have experience of bike carriers on a soft top and know why MB seem to be unkeen?
Thanks
Nick

Hi All,

I have a 2011 E200 cabriolet and want to be able to carry a couple of bikes. I've looked at the various options and think the detachable tow hook would be best but my local main dealer claims that MB does not offer any parts (presumably because it's not possible to fit one). Anyone have experience of bike carriers on a soft top and know why MB seem to be unkeen?
Thanks
Nick

I can't install a Towing Arm on mine because the Rear Valance (or whatever it's called) under the Rear Bumper doesn't have a suitable Hole/Hatch that is removable so you can gain access to the Rear Chassis!:oops:

I suspect that your Cabriolet is the same! :wallbash:

Last edited:
thanks for that. I'll keep hoping. Jones in Manchester thought ( and quoted) they could do it but I'm not going to get a mobile fitter down from there only to find the job is impossible

I had one on my 2010 E350 Cab - went up and down to France and Spain with a couple of big mountain bikes on the towbar carrier many times.

Mine was a TowTrust removable bar with 7 pin electics coded to the car. No cut out in the rear valance required. Supplied by North West Towbars Stockport.

Bike rack is by Thule.

Must get a towbar for the E500 - nothing quite like blatting around in the hills and woods on the mountain bike and then blatting home in the drop-top afterwards. Makes for a proper day out!

35419021972_14047c5591_k.jpg

33632006092_a05c8b1c2a_k.jpg

Here you go ... few more pics...

Fully laden...

27128916777_61c3f43adf_k.jpg

Tow bar

41279073824_a3e311fa69_k.jpg

And when I couldn't be bothered with putting the rack on ....

Bike in big bike bag on back seat and wheels in boot !

41953910802_1ae0a04bea_k.jpg

Here you go ... few more pics...

Fully laden...

27128916777_61c3f43adf_k.jpg

Tow bar

41279073824_a3e311fa69_k.jpg

And when I couldn't be bothered with putting the rack on ....

Bike in big bike bag on back seat and wheels in boot !

41953910802_1ae0a04bea_k.jpg
Thanks Paul , that's really helpful . I'll contact them tomorrow. Does any part of the rack actually touch the car?

PaulXC,
I am looking at a removable towbar and bike rack for my CLS, 4 bikes.
Can I presume the towbar is lockable so it is unable to be removed from the car while the rack is on ?

It is, but it wouldn't take much to force the alloy arms on the carrier apart and liberate the bikes.

I use a couple of big motorbike padlocks wrapped around the bikes and the rack to deter casual thieves but I never left the car parked with my bikes on the back as they are silly money to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom