Cabriolet roof cylinders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joeycessna

Car
1999 CLK230 Komp Cabriolet
Happy NY to you and all.

Regarding leaking W208 roof hydraulic cylinders, I dissected a "guinea pig" cylinder I got from ebay and discovered how it was originally assembled, It certainly wasn't designed to be taken apart! Anyway this knowledge allowed me to remanufacture my own cylinders (5 off). I made new hard chromed piston rods (OEM ones were badly corrosion pitted), and fitted all new Vitol seals (much better material than the OEMs). I hydraulically pressure tested them to 200bar and no leaks. Anyway I hope I'm not treading on the moderators toes by saying if anyone needs their cylinders remanufacturing, give me a shout.

kind regards and thanks to Markjay for his help. joe

Blimey! That is real dedication. Fantastic work.

It was more out of desperation rather than dedication :D. I got a price for new ones from MB but obviously they are all smoking the funny stuff. Even at $800+ that the US crowd charge , my car probably was worth less.

Happy NY to you and all.

Regarding leaking W208 roof hydraulic cylinders, I dissected a "guinea pig" cylinder I got from ebay and discovered how it was originally assembled, It certainly wasn't designed to be taken apart! Anyway this knowledge allowed me to remanufacture my own cylinders (5 off). I made new hard chromed piston rods (OEM ones were badly corrosion pitted), and fitted all new Vitol seals (much better material than the OEMs). I hydraulically pressure tested them to 200bar and no leaks. Anyway I hope I'm not treading on the moderators toes by saying if anyone needs their cylinders remanufacturing, give me a shout.

kind regards and thanks to Markjay for his help. joe
Hi Joe,

Are you still able to help out with getting these cylinders repaired? I have one that is leaking around the piston rod. Need to get the thing out to look at it properly but from what I’ve read the seals aren’t easily replaceable. Interested to hear your experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom