Caffeine Free?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like caffeine.

I'm sure that there are other things I should be worrying about other than my choice of hot drink.

I like chips as well.

Who said I was worried about anything? :dk:

I went off caff altogether four years ago, it was a painful experience, headaches, aching joints and the sweats. I probably drank up to ten large cups a day at work. Going onto Decaff was equally painful....it tasted sh1te, and still does.

Today my wife tells me all the advice I got from various health gurus was rubbish, and, in fact they have caused me to take three years off my life expectancy, I can't afford three months never mind years.
As of now I'm back on the strong stuff at least until I put the years back on.

ok. right....well done for doing something.

Now, here is my view of the world. Not everyone has the same effect to the same items. So maybe if you are having disrupted sleep patterns, they are not connected to the amount of caffeine you take in.

weight loss is good, but sleep issues should really be investigated properly. It could even be something simple to cure too.

When you do hit the coffee again, to ensure you reduce your intake of nasty's why not have things like vimto hot instead of tea and coffee every other cup. if the kettle is on, you don't have to have coffee or tea.

And horlicks before bed would be my choice too. (It does work for me, but I am sure it won't work for everyone)

And then put everything down to stress, then sit back and have a right good laugh about it. stressing does not solve the problems and nor does destressing. Solving the problems usually solves the problems.

or get really today and with it and say garbage like there are no such things as problems, just solutions waiting to be found (which, when you have asked someone to guide you, is about as helpful as not even bothering to waste breath saying it)

I drink coffee by the way. I have tea every so often. If I am in a hotel and run out of normal coffee I drink the decafe. makes no difference to me.

I have no sugar.

anyhow good luck and enjoy the holiday.

ok. right....well done for doing something.

Now, here is my view of the world. Not everyone has the same effect to the same items. So maybe if you are having disrupted sleep patterns, they are not connected to the amount of caffeine you take in.

weight loss is good, but sleep issues should really be investigated properly. It could even be something simple to cure too.

When you do hit the coffee again, to ensure you reduce your intake of nasty's why not have things like vimto hot instead of tea and coffee every other cup. if the kettle is on, you don't have to have coffee or tea.

And horlicks before bed would be my choice too. (It does work for me, but I am sure it won't work for everyone)

And then put everything down to stress, then sit back and have a right good laugh about it. stressing does not solve the problems and nor does destressing. Solving the problems usually solves the problems.

or get really today and with it and say garbage like there are no such things as problems, just solutions waiting to be found (which, when you have asked someone to guide you, is about as helpful as not even bothering to waste breath saying it)

I drink coffee by the way. I have tea every so often. If I am in a hotel and run out of normal coffee I drink the decafe. makes no difference to me.

I have no sugar.

anyhow good luck and enjoy the holiday.

Thanks for that. :thumb:

If I'm honest I've never been a good sleeper (even going back to being a child) so I'm not really expecting caffeine withdrawal to help. I generally get to sleep fairly quickly most nights. Then come 3-4am I'm awake, tossing/turning and if I'm lucky a very light nap before its time to get up. :wallbash: I thought stopping caffeine & alcahol would/could help a little. (Not sure how long it take to get out of your system :dk:)

I've probably been 1.5 stone overweight for about 10 years. I'm a comfort eater after a hard days graft. :doh: i really don't mind doing the healthy eating/drinking so long as I see the weight loss on scales day.

I'm very lucky as I've never been one to stress or worry. Blood pressure has always been perfect on any visit to the docs.

All in all I'm happy to continue. Not really missing anything too much. Although if I had to pick a treat I'd probably go for a block of chocy. :eek:

I drink RedBush tea. Caffeine free.

It is an acquired taste, and while many Europeans drink it black, I think it tastes best with milk, which is how it is drunk in parts of Africa.

Thanks for that. :thumb:

If I'm honest I've never been a good sleeper (even going back to being a child) so I'm not really expecting caffeine withdrawal to help. I generally get to sleep fairly quickly most nights. Then come 3-4am I'm awake, tossing/turning and if I'm lucky a very light nap before its time to get up. :wallbash: I thought stopping caffeine & alcahol would/could help a little. (Not sure how long it take to get out of your system :dk:)

I've probably been 1.5 stone overweight for about 10 years. I'm a comfort eater after a hard days graft. :doh: i really don't mind doing the healthy eating/drinking so long as I see the weight loss on scales day.

I'm very lucky as I've never been one to stress or worry. Blood pressure has always been perfect on any visit to the docs.

All in all I'm happy to continue. Not really missing anything too much. Although if I had to pick a treat I'd probably go for a block of chocy. :eek:
I have the same sleep issues. Without fail I will wake up at 3-4am and then struggle to go back to sleep.

I'm pretty fit, eat healthy, exercise regularly, drink coffee black with no sugar and don't drink much alcohol as I don't really have much interest in it. I'm not stressed, enjoy my job and have a good life and 3 wonderful children.

The wife and I had a full elimination for several months a few years ago, of all caffeine refined sugars, wheat and pretty much anything in a packet. It was hard work, and honestly not as dramatically beneficial as you would hope as far as feeling better. Yes, there was a hard to quantify improvement but at what cost? It was miserable.

To this day there is only one thing that ensures me a good nights sleep with no side-effects. For me there is also the added benefit of a mild euphoria and increased cerebral capacity and creativity. It also helped my dad in the final days of his fight with cancer. Unfortunately despite being licenced for sale and medically approved in many parts of the world, it remains illegal in this country.

If it makes you happy and doesn't harm others, just do it.

Life's to short.

Thanks Mark. Some interesting points there too. I totally empathise with the waking at 3-4am. It's a frustrating feeling indeed. One thing that helped me a little was our guest bedroom. It has a 2' X 4' high level window above the headboard. If I go in there and open the window I generally fall asleep right away. Nice cool downdaught of fresh air really helps. (Not that our bedroom is hot, we never have the heating on after 5-6pm)

I'm curious about your last paragraph. What is the one thing that ensures you a good nights sleep?

I'm really not struggling being off caffeine. Enjoying the fresh water. Whether that will change come wintertime remains to be seen (I'm a builder). Even then I can go de-cafe with the odd cappuccino as a treat when we're out and about.

As many have said here, maybe the sugar is the killer. (Although I only ever have 1 sugar in any tea or coffee)

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess The Chronic is what helped...

A few years ago, I was getting heart palpitations amongst other things.

Took me a long time to work it out (months into years) - even posted on here at one point I think.

Turned out to be stress causing it.

However, one of the things I culled as a result was caffeine. I saw a nutritionist at one point and although I haven't stuck with everything religiously, I follow a lot of what I learnt to ensure a level GI (not that caffeine is linked to that).

After I came off it in late 2012, I never got any headaches or shakes so my intake was low anyway.

I don't notice the difference between with and without so I stay without.

I agree with a lot of impact of things is in the mind and not to do with what you are eating / drinking unless you are on 25 cups a day.

With regard to sleep issues, there are a number of factors I believe.

Mostly related to what is going on in the mind first and foremost, then diet / exercise and all those other factors.

You want an empty mind when you go to bed. Cool bedroom, write stuff down that pops in your head, sort out worries in your life if you can whatever they are and practice something like mindfulness.

All the changes I made didn't yield improvement for a while.

You could argue that was until my brain decided it was fine with it all, or it took that long to adjust.

Bit of an update.

Still caffeine free. Been eating very healthy with no treats whatsoever.

Start weight on Monday 21st August: 87.3kgs
Yesterdays weight (4 weeks on): 79.9kgs :banana:

In old money that's a loss of 1.1 stone. :D

Target weight is 75kgs for holiday on 13th October. Doubt I'll manage it but I'll give it a go.

Weekdays are fine now I'm back at work. Fri/sat night are not as much fun without goodies and wine. I'll make up for it come the holiday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom