caliper bolt torque

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E63s s213 2019, E55 2004 Silver-SOLD, E63 w212 Weistec AMG-SOLD, E55 2004-SOLD, C36 1997-SOLD
Need some help here please

just been replacing my rear disks and pads on the e55, fairly straightforward, just a pig to get off the handbrake shoes.

my question is,how do you guys tighten the caliperbolts to 180 nm when the car is on a jack? my torque wrench is massive and just cant get it to fit or get enough leverage to get anywhere near that, smaller torque wrenchs dont go anywhere near 180nm.

will be doing the front tommorrow which will probably be easier because of the lack of handbrake and the fact i can turn the wheel before i start!

any advice appreciated!

I'm not sure I understand your problem, either that or I am having a senior moment :D Normally use a Britool torque wrench which I think gives 250 nM top end so is adequate for the caliper bolts @ 180 nM

For the E55 I thought the front caliper bolts were 115Nm :dk: Is this related to the Brabus / Alcon conversion? in which case the torque settings could somewhat higher. Will have to look what Alcon quoted me.

Last edited:
I believe that the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the hub should be 55Nm.

That equates to 2 heaves and a grunt (ish) depending on body girth :D

Thats what i thought, seemed a bit tight, but just checked again on WIS and it states 180nm, ive managed to get them to 110nm.

Flania1, maybe im not explaining clear, basically the head size and lenght of my large torque wrench means i cant get in in the space and because of the bits in the way its not do-able!

gonna go by what you and Olly have said, thanks guys

Thing to try perhaps is to tighten up the bolts on reassembly as best you can. Then with car back on its wheels you may find you can administer the final torque from under the car with suitable extensions+ a uj ??

depending on the size of the bolts [ depending on class 8.8, 9.8 10.9 and thread pitch coarse/fine ] rough rule of thumb is

M10 [17mm]= 38-54 Nm

M12 [19mm]= 68-96 Nm

M14 [22mm]= 109-154 Nm

ok gave up in the end, i think after goodwood its nicely heated everything on!

pins were in solid, didnt want to damage the caliper, so i thought id take the caliper off, would the bolts budge? no way, havent got an impact wrench, next on the list i think!

had already pushed the pads back, backing plates were rusting to bits. dash lit up like a traffic light when i started the car, so helped the pads back a bit and the lights went off.

thanks for all the advice guys, will have to pop into the indi next week, wish Ian or Olly were nearer!

I think the bolts need a touch of blue Loctite before mounting back on. Dismantled front and back and torque to 110nm all round no problems. Its true a longish torque wrench can be a bxxxxr to use :wallbash:. On the front you can turn the wheel left and right to better expose the bolts needing torque.

Dont forget to adjust the parking brake shoes properly. Must be even both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom