Caliper paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigdrew

Car
Ml350 bluetec clk220 CDi w209 amg styling 18in amg wheels cla 220cdi amg sport c class w205 amg line
Hi this might have been discussed before but just wandered what people thought got my wheels refurbed a couple of weeks ago but the calipers are looking a bit rough so i want to paint them do I do them silver or black the car is black and the wheels are black and polished anymore have any thoughts

I would go silver or you likely won’t see them. I did mine with hammerite smooth silver and they look superb. Total cost about £10 plus the decals and masking tape.

I did my MX-5 calipers with silver Calliper paint from ECP. Looks better than bare metal.

Attachments

• 169B949B-AED7-44D3-BF7F-D08D2C27B8E0.jpeg
    169B949B-AED7-44D3-BF7F-D08D2C27B8E0.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 6
I'd go silver on a black car unless you want to be noticed. Then I'd go gold like the ceramic brakes fitted to some AMG's.
You can get the decals on the bay of fleas.

@ ChrisHGTV............ How are the calipers looking after some heat has gone through them?
I used Hammerite smooth on the hub centres on my E55 and the paint bubbled and looked burnt after some heavy braking. Probably not so much heat involved on the caliper.
I'd be inclined to use VHT Brake Caliper paint which is specifically for high temperature paint work.

Did you use a spray can or paint brush them

2 different size brushes will see you right , half inch and smaller artist type when using Hammerite Smooth .

Colour depends on how nice the calipers are .

Ugly - do not highlight them by painting silver which then also shows the brake dust up .
Black is best for hiding ugly rough cast calipers .

20201030_064907.png
🤮

I'd go silver on a black car unless you want to be noticed. Then I'd go gold like the ceramic brakes fitted to some AMG's.
You can get the decals on the bay of fleas.

@ ChrisHGTV............ How are the calipers looking after some heat has gone through them?
I used Hammerite smooth on the hub centres on my E55 and the paint bubbled and looked burnt after some heavy braking. Probably not so much heat involved on the caliper.
I'd be inclined to use VHT Brake Caliper paint which is specifically for high temperature paint work.

The hammerite is fine on the callipers. look as good as the day I did them a couple of years ago. I’ll take some pics when it’s daylight. I use vht paint on the discs as they do get quite a bit hotter. One tip using hammerite though, dont lacquer over the top just add the decals and leave. I made the mistake of lacquering over the ones on my Alfa and after a few months they developed a kind of crazy paving pattern. Only noticeable up close but with hammerite you don’t need the lacquer anyway.

Did you use a spray can or paint brush them
I actually use both. I mask up and brush paint quickly then spray over the top. I find that way you get good initial coverage as the tin paint is thicker than the aerosol, then the aerosol gives a nice even finish without running.

Another recommendation for smooth hammerite, done my very poor looking silver calipers on my 05 black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom