Call for opinion from MOT testers - new diesel regs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Are there any MOT testers on the forum?

What's your opinion on the new diesel smoke limits coming in this month, based on your experience of testing how many diesels do you think will fail on the smoke/emissions test compared to the pre May 2018 rules?

Yours doesn't have a DPF does it? No different for those of us with non-DPF fitted cars apparently.

Position on 2008/09 W211s is mixed seems some do some don't have DPF. Whilst I haven't looked (beyond grovelling around under cars on the drive) I don't think mine does have a DPF but by chance its in this week so I'll get w/shop to look. Has it got a DPF, has it ever had a DPF, if if does have a DPF has it been moded....

Obviously hoping it dosent have a DPF.

Position on 2008/09 W211s is mixed seems some do some don't have DPF. Whilst I haven't looked (beyond grovelling around under cars on the drive) I don't think mine does have a DPF but by chance its in this week so I'll get w/shop to look. Has it got a DPF, has it ever had a DPF, if if does have a DPF has it been moded....

Obviously hoping it dosent have a DPF.

Post your reg or vin, we can check from that.

If your tailpipe is clean, it has a DPF.

Agree, I had a 2008 without a DPF , nice sooty exhaust pipe.
not sure why I switched it for a ML320cdi without a DPF and then traded it in for ML350cdi with one !
Only upside is no sign of smoke and I almost never do less than a 75 mile run in it.

Already posted above ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Try again with VIN

WDB2110222B324293

Tail pipes black and sooty.

- OBSIDIAN BLACK
- OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
- SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING
- PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
- SPORTS SEATS, FRONT
- INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING

255B
- LINES-NO.PLATE DISCONTINUED
- LEATHER STEERING WHEEL AND LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB
- AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
- INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LANGUAGE - BRITISH ENGLISH
- ANTENNA FOR TELEPHONE D/E-NET
- MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS)
- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
- STEERING WHEEL SHIFT BUTTONS/GEARSHIFT PADDLES
- INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
- TIRE PRESSURE LOSS WARNER
- SPORTS SUSPENSION
- OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
- COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
- GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
- ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
- AIR CONDITIONER
- EUROPE
- HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
- BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
- CORNERING ILLUMINATION
- PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
- HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
- EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)
- WOOD VERSION,BIRD'S EYE MAPLE BLACK/ANTHRACITE
- [211] - 20050419 - AEJ 07/1
- [642.9] - 20051220 - AEJ 07/1
- [722.9] - 20050822 - YOM 17/1
- HOUSING FOR ALARM SIREN (ATA)
- CD CHANGER
- AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE
- AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTH.
- SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
- HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
- INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
- DYNAMO WITH HIGHER CAPACITY (FFO)
- FUEL TANK WITH LARGER CAPACITY
- EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY
- SPEED- + LOADINDEX 93Y+97Y XL
- SPORTS PACKAGE
- EQUIPMENT PACKAGE FOR AVANTGARDE VEHICLES
- COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
- IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
- NEW CONVERTER GENERATION
- JOINT FLANGE, 4-ARM 120
- M - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS 2
- SOFTWARE 3
- CONVERTER WITH 3 FRICTION DISKS
- SERIES PRODUCTION 211
- LIMOUSINE
- TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 02
- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
- REAR AXLE
- ADDITIONAL CODE FOR DAMPING MAT
- ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
- STEUERCODE FUER SERVICEINTERVALL 25000 KM
- ENGINES WITH EXH.TURBOCHARGER WITH INTERCOOLER
- DISPLACEMENT 3.0 LITER
- V6 DIESEL ENGINE OM642
- NEW VEHICLE DOCUMENTS: DAIMLER AG
- RIGHT-HAND STEERING
- SUMMER TIRES
- LA 18" 10 DOUBLE SPOKE DESIGN
- AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
- FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
- FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT
- OBSIDIAN BLACK
- AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTH.
- V6 DIESEL ENGINE OM642

No DPF my friend, enjoy :)

No DPF my friend, enjoy :)

Many thanks, appreciated.

Its a mad world, if the wife suddenly said lets go buy a newer W212 diesel that was Euro5/6 currently I'd say NO - lets wait for the dust to settle and see what happens....

Next car will be a difficult choice petrol/diesel?? they both pollute and have environmental concequences and costs and whilst I'm keen to reduce my carbon footprint and do my bit I have to watch the costs and whatever car i buy needs to fit my needs and high on the list is towing 1500kg of caravan. I do wish the Gov could make up its mind and come out with a medium to long term plan and commit to sticking to it. fat chance of thet though given that most politicians are clueless idiots.

Many thanks, appreciated.

Its a mad world, if the wife suddenly said lets go buy a newer W212 diesel that was Euro5/6 currently I'd say NO - lets wait for the dust to settle and see what happens....

Next car will be a difficult choice petrol/diesel?? they both pollute and have environmental concequences and costs and whilst I'm keen to reduce my carbon footprint and do my bit I have to watch the costs and whatever car i buy needs to fit my needs and high on the list is towing 1500kg of caravan. I do wish the Gov could make up its mind and come out with a medium to long term plan and commit to sticking to it. fat chance of thet though given that most politicians are clueless idiots.

No worries at all,

Stick with your DPF free car for now, I think that’s the best bet.

Mine sailed through its MOT today. My Emissions were .97 way lower than the recommended 1.50 so happy with that.. mind you both Abs and I have been batting back & forwards on Turbo cleaners, fuel cleaners CAT cleaners and god knows what else... all I can say is I'm happy with the result..

I need a Wheel Hub though.. not a fail just a comment, as new bearings were installed and apparently one is slightly misshapen but passable .. apparently bad pot hole damage at some point in its life..

Here's my "Advisory" :

I was getting a shaking or vibration through the car at around 60mph we'd checked everything propshaft, wheel balancing suspension etc but try this one - All wheels were balanced and checked for buckling, none found it vibrated at 80ish but could be driven through.. no vibration on the steering wheel..It had an advisory 2 MOTs back on wheel bearings "slight play" but not a fail...So I bought two new bearing and had them installed. RESULT! No more vibration. The old bearings didn't drone either.. so go figure that one..

Mine sailed through its MOT today. My Emissions were .97 way lower than the recommended 1.50 so happy with that.. mind you both Abs and I have been batting back & forwards on Turbo cleaners, fuel cleaners CAT cleaners and god knows what else... all I can say is I'm happy with the result..

I need a Wheel Hub though.. not a fail just a comment, as new bearings were installed and apparently one is slightly misshapen but passable .. apparently bad pot hole damage at some point in its life..

Here's my "Advisory" :

I was getting a shaking or vibration through the car at around 60mph we'd checked everything propshaft, wheel balancing suspension etc but try this one - All wheels were balanced and checked for buckling, none found it vibrated at 80ish but could be driven through.. no vibration on the steering wheel..It had an advisory 2 MOTs back on wheel bearings "slight play" but not a fail...So I bought two new bearing and had them installed. RESULT! No more vibration. The old bearings didn't drone either.. so go figure that one..

Good news Dave, So the cleaners did their job :D

Im gonna keep using them as they are so cheap & they do the job!!

Here’s to many more miles of happy motoring.

Abs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom