Call from MB: Security check on e-class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxima

Car
W211
Some dude called me yesterday from Manchester number (0161) and mumbling something that they are carrying security checks on all e-class cars because of some potential issue.

He couldnt articulate what it is about.

What is it?

I could think 2 possible options only.

1. Con - someone stole MB database and trying to locate cars.
2. Mileage check - I am foreigner and the car has extended warranty. They might think that everyone who has foreign name is dodgy (thanks to hundred thousands of illegal immigrants let in by labours) so they have to spend some money sending sub-contractors to check if car has proper mileage or something like that..

any other ideas?

Some dude called me yesterday from Manchester number (0161) and mumbling something that they are carrying security checks on all e-class cars because of some potential issue.

He couldnt articulate what it is about.

What is it?

I could think 2 possible options only.

1. Con - someone stole MB database and trying to locate cars.
2. Mileage check - I am foreigner and the car has extended warranty. They might think that everyone who has foreign name is dodgy (thanks to hundred thousands of illegal immigrants let in by labours) so they have to spend some money sending sub-contractors to check if car has proper mileage or something like that..

any other ideas?

Sounds like a con. Phone your nearest dealer and ask the Service Dept. Or phone MB or e-mail MB website. Give no info till checked.

Good thinking splang. :)

A quick call to Daimler HQ UK in Milton Keynes would clear it up quickly.

THERE IS A RECALL ON THE BRAKES OF THE 211. Takes about twenty minutes. Contact dealer ASAP.
In actual fact it is a service bulletin issue. PO37 to be precise.

Mercedes-Benz has asked all dealers to check the last wiring recall on the SBC electronics was carried out correctly. From what I gather this last recall needed two wiring ties to be placed in designated locations. Mercedes-Benz have asked this be checked and PHOTOGRAPHED. The pictures are to be submitted to the manufacturer to confirm the job has been done correctly.

Regards
John

Mercedes-Benz has asked all dealers to check the last wiring recall on the SBC electronics was carried out correctly. From what I gather this last recall needed two wiring ties to be placed in designated locations. Mercedes-Benz have asked this be checked and PHOTOGRAPHED. The pictures are to be submitted to the manufacturer to confirm the job has been done correctly.

Regards
John

According to mine it is a continuation of previous recall. But same difference, I guess. Interesting that they want photos to prove dealers have done it.

According to mine it is a continuation of previous recall. But same difference, I guess. Interesting that they want photos to prove dealers have done it.

Rather than proof that the dealers are doing the job, it's because the original recall notice was unclear and confusing, hence not all the job was performed correctly.

Regards
John

They put a tag on as well saying something along the lines of "Do not remove cable ties during servicing"

We have had no less than three calls about PO37, two of them being from people who clearly had no idea what it was all about: some call centre agency staff given a list, a script and told to get on with it I supposed.

Rather than proof that the dealers are doing the job, it's because the original recall notice was unclear and confusing, hence not all the job was performed correctly.
Spot on. The recall action was carried out but the ties were sited incorrectly. Now EVERY E-class is being photographed and the image checked.

I wonder if my car can sue the boss of DaimlerExChrysler :D for an infringement of its motor vehicle rights? Our car is a juvenille (3 years old) and it is being photographed under the bonnet without permission:eek: :eek: . If we can't take pictures of our own children at a swimming gala, or school sports day, how dare someone lift up the bonnet of our car and photograph the undergarments. :devil: :D

John

Our vehicle was photographed this morning. I wonder if it was a professional photographer :)

John, are there ways to check online for such bulletins and recalls?
There used to be a site where we could check but as far as I'm aware it is now fee paying? I would love to be proved wrong though? :)

This is just another reason for keeping the car serviced by main dealers. I accept it is not nice, but these cars are exceedingly complex.

John

I love my W211.....and it has been very reliable for a 32,000 miler.....but they sure have a lot of service bulletins and recalls for a newish car!

Last edited:
I love my W211.....and it has been very reliable for a 32,000 miler.....but they sure have a lot of service bulletins and recalls for a newish car!

They are just trying to get the quality right and if its not they re-call them.

I have done around 50 of the PO37 re-calls and I was the first to photgraph them at my local dealer. I did an SL55 which has a similar re-call. They re-called them again due to the instructions for the work being bl00dy awkward and very unclear. The loom for the SBC was ment to clear a coolant hose but some of them were done didnt. Also the modification was to fit a bracket to the SBC unit and cable tie it so the electrical connector cannot be removed easily and cause major brake problems. The re-call also included some software updates for the SBC unit.

I was a bit of a ****-up from the start. When the re-call came out we did up to 10 recalls updates per car on varius control units. The instructions were terrible and some of the re-call were not done properly by the Techs.

Anyway thats my bit of useless infomation;)

I was the first to photgraph them at my local dealer.
I am assured the photographing is a 'must do' requirement because of previous events.

John

I am assured the photographing is a 'must do' requirement because of previous events.

John

Yes. They get emailed to DCUK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom