call the police and they sue YOU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nick mercedes

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Expedition
"Call the police and they sue YOU: WPC demands £50,000 from petrol station owner after tripping over a kerb while investigating a break-in"

"A policewoman who answered a midnight call to a suspected burglary is suing the man who dialled 999 – because she tripped over a kerbstone."

"WPC Kelly Jones is seeking a potential five-figure payout after claiming the owner of a petrol station failed to keep her safe as she investigated the possible break-in."

"Her claim that the 999 call exposed her to ‘an unnecessary risk of injury’ raises new questions about the extent of Britain’s compensation culture, and has wide-reaching implications for anyone who calls the emergency services to their property."

Call the police - and they sue you: WPC demands £50,000 from petrol station owner after tripping over a kerb while investigating a break-in | Mail Online

I'd question her ability to be a police officer if she can't even watch where she's walking! I'm sure criminals maybe slightly more dangerous than a concrete kerbstone! What is the world coming too!

Call the police and they sue YOU

Worth pointing out that the garage owner is not being sued by "the Police" but by an officer acting as an individual (albeit with the support of her union). Also, the £50,000 figure is purely speculative; £8000 would be nearer the mark. But I agree that it's worrying that a serving police officer sees fit to take such action.

She needs to be removed from the Police Force, she has already done enough damage.

be trying to sue god next for falling off a cliff...?
look where you're going!
happy easter!

Can't see how she can win. She's been trained for situations such as this therefore if anyone is to blame its either the Police for not training her properly ( unlikely) or herself for not following her training instructions

PS I also believe the police are issued with torches

I get it; this story has been published a day early...

Can't see how she can win. She's been trained for situations such as this therefore if anyone is to blame its either the Police for not training her properly ( unlikely) or herself for not following her training instructions

my mum and dad trained me for situations like this..
" dont be stupid... don't shuffle your feet... watch where u are going, or you'll get hurt!"

She will have been carrying a torch and chose to not use it .......

I'm thinking about sueing MBClub for wasting so much of my time by allowing too many threads to appear in this forum!

'Former Met policewoman Sarah Locker received an out-of-court settlement totalling £1million last year after allegedly being passed over for promotion to the CID.'

Sometimes you wonder if suing the Met and taking early retirement is actually part of the strategic career plan for some people.

From http://www.nypolfed.org.uk/assets/uploads/PDFs/handsspring09.pdf :

'In 2003 the HSE brought a prosecution against the Metropolitan Police
Commissioner after one officer died when he fell through the roof on an
industrial estate and another was injured falling through a garage roof.
The prosecution was unsuccessful but it did at least require the Met to
comply with a number of Improvement Notices and to examine their
practices'

"You are in Breach of the Occupiers Liability act 1957; in that you failed to ensure the client was reasonably safe in using the premises...."(there is more).

Let's be honest, the Police officer is a client? NOOOOO the police officer is a servant, a public servant as I remember. Reasonably safe, a 6" kerb is dangerous to a police officer...........jeez, time to call it a day (lets hope they never have to confront a criminal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom